Herts and Essex borders secondary places

(8 Posts)
Daughteroughter Sun 03-Mar-13 22:19:08

Hi have heard loads of things about school over last 24 hours. B Stortford kids in top feeder schools not getting herts choices but offered stansted however Harlow kids getting b Stortford schools - how can that be right.

DorisPenguin Sun 03-Mar-13 22:59:27

Harlow children infecting Bishops Stortford!
This cannot be right!

Daughteroughter Sun 03-Mar-13 23:06:16

It's not about Harlow children infecting - I'm from Harlow so I'd be immune anyway :-) it just seems wrong that county councils will take out of county before their own same goes for stansted

LeeCoakley Sun 03-Mar-13 23:10:51

You need to read the admission rules. E.g. Herts and Essex iirc - after siblings it is 10% aptitude, 60% Stortford feeders, 30% other schools. So Harlow children could be in the 10% and the 30%.

Daughteroughter Sun 03-Mar-13 23:14:08

lee I know that, I'm just questioning why a county council would take children from another county before children in their home county.

LeeCoakley Sun 03-Mar-13 23:23:53

Well distance is always the main factor and schools near county borders follow the same rules. A local infants' school in Herts for example always has to turn away Herts applicants because those living over the border in Essex are closer, it's nothing new. Seems unfair I suppose.

tiggytape Mon 04-Mar-13 08:59:21

lee I know that, I'm just questioning why a county council would take children from another county before children in their home county.

With school admissions there is councils cannot give priority to 'their own' children. The admission criteria for each school has to be followed and there is no special treatment to ensure people get a school in their own county council.
So if Bishop Stortford children don't get Herts places, it is because people in Herts qualify for the places more than they do eg have a sibling at the school already or have won a music or sports place.

We live in London and lots of children end up going to schools that aren't in their own borough because here it goes by distance and, since many people live on the border of 2 boroughs, their nearest school might not actually be in the borough they live in. The neighbouring council has to accept these children even if it means children at the other end of their own borough then don't get a place at the school.

Daughteroughter Mon 04-Mar-13 22:37:38

Ta all seems bonkers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now