Starting an appeal where the school manages its own appeals- any point?

(30 Posts)
NickNacks Sun 03-Mar-13 17:55:12

Ok briefly fill you in...

This is a middle school application (so we are moving into year 5). We have 4 schools in our LA and applied for A B and C on our preference form. School B was our catchment school although geographically not the closest (complex but true- can expand if needed).

We've been allocated D. The awful, massive school which everyone in the LA gets swept into if they don't get their preference. Hardly anyone actually chooses it first place.

We think we have a good chance (maybe?) on the waiting list for this school B due to a friend getting in who lives relatively close and on the same criteria.

However we have also been told that there is no harm in appealing. This would be based on DS being a very nervous child, emotional and we feel the smaller school would give him fantastic pastoral care.

The thing is (eventually gets to the point!) this school B manages their own admission and appeals. Surely they are always going to side with themselves. Any point in even trying?

NickNacks Thu 07-Mar-13 14:09:20

I'm fairly sure I explained our grounds for appeal our based on his need for a small based church school who can provide excellent pastoral care. I won't go into any more detail if that's ok. Nonetheless we have to try even if we are not successful, I need to feel I have done everything we can. I suspect the waiting list will be our saviour and this mornings offer and chat with the admissions lady has exposed just how close we came and were extremely unlucky not to receive any of our schools.

NickNacks Thu 07-Mar-13 14:09:50

*are

tiggytape Thu 07-Mar-13 14:11:29

NickNacks - it sounds hopeful. Fingers crossed for you smile

NickNacks Thu 07-Mar-13 14:15:53

Thanks tiggytape

NickNacks Sat 30-Mar-13 17:53:42

He got in!!!!

Acceptances had to be in by the 15th and waiting list opened on Thursday- we received a letter this morning to say he has been offered a place.

So, so happy and so, so relieved.

Thank you for all the advice and information.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now