Bursary waiting list-any chance?(68 Posts)
Dd1 was offered a full fee paying place at a wonderful school which we loved but we had applied for a bursary.
She is on the bursary waiting list but we have not heard back from the school so I assume it means she has no chance of a place?[Sad]
Has anybody ever been on a bursary list and gone on to get one?
when is the acceptance date deadline ? State school allocations are now out so that may bring about any rejection of places. However if school is small presumably number of offers is also small.
12 noon on 6 march.
Would people really turn down a bursary at an independent school in favour of a state school place though?
I suppose maybe a lot of families will have had offers from other independent schools as well possibly with bigger bursaries?
Dd1 has been offered a SS place too but the ind school is far more suited to her needs (medical issues). I suppose I am just getting my hopes up for nothing was hoping to hear lots of success stories! Never mind
They might if not as much as they hoped for or they were using it as a back up for SS. iirc you are looking for 100% though , which I fear is unlikely if you haven't ben offered anything so far. Did you ask the bursar how often they give that level of bursary ad why you have not met the criteria.
I think it is quite common to turn down bursaries - lots of people don't get offered as much as they need to make it viable and lots of people only apply to private schools as insurance against getting allocated a poor state school. If they then get a fantastic state school offer, they may decide not to accept the private school place.
Whether that means the school will be able to offer you a 100% bursary though is less certain. Do they normally offer these or is it more likely they'll give smaller amounts of help to more children?
Have not even spoken to a bursar-only the admissions secretary every time I have phoned. Tbh I had been expecting things like a home visit/bursary interview but it was just a form.
We were hoping for 100 percent yes.Could possibly stretch to 90 p c lowest but that would be pushing things (although worth it for dd health).
Dd passed the entrance exams hence place offer but other bursary applicants that were offered scored higher than her.
You need to speak to the Bursar. If funds are limited then he/she will have made the decisions with Admissions and will have reviewed your forms. The fact that they haven't followed it up suggests to me that you were not meeting priority criteria for one in which case you possibly hope in vain.
I just can't see how we didn't meet the criteria.
We have no savings at all, dh job is not well paid and our 4 dcs are all in receipt of dla.we have nothing at all so financially we are very badly off.that's why I was so surprised we got nothing I really had all my hopes pinned on a place.
Perhaps dd1 just didn't do well enough in tests, she did pass them and got offer of full fee place.
I did worry beforehand as we couldn't get her a tutor, I can only think it was that. She did her best though and still passed so I am proud of her.
I would think it very unlikely to not be awarded anything and then get a full or even 90% bursary from the waiting list tbh. Have you asked them how likely it is that she will be offered anything?
Someone I know told me she just turned down an academic and sporting scholarship for her dd as she subsequently got an offer from another school who they just preferred the feel of.
Scholarships are quite often turned down, but will not affect the bursary pot.
The reason IMO that these are turned down is that they can be quite small, I even know one person who was offered 4% (yes, 4 )
There is little point speculating. She obviously did well enough but somehow the criteria for the bursary - at any level - weren't met. Those criteria should have been stated up front, if there has been a misunderstanding then you need to have it cleared up, but if you have been given false hope then is that really a school ethos you want to participate in anyway ? I've not come across a "wait list" for bursary places. Once allocated they are usually either taken up or the money returns to the pot for fresh applications, such as existing pupils, or occasionally to up other offers if they really want the pupil.
I was just surprised dd did well enough to pass and get offered a place but no bursary and our finances are really dire.
I guess it is just bad luck and perhaps this year a lot of people applied.
I hope dd doesn't feel she has failed ?
I just cannot see how we couldn't have met any criteria we had to supply every bit of paperwork in the world!
We have a council house so no possibility of realising money from re mortgaging, bank acc very overdrawn, we have huge debts, no family who could help with fees etc would the dla have affected it as it looks a lot on paper but ob goes on dcs and their various needs.
If I could I would work in order to pay the fees but I have to care for dcs so can't.
I just don't really understand how we might not have met the criteria
You said that they offered people who scored higher bursaries, maybe they are in the same financial position as you but they got offered due to the exam results i.e they wanted their DCs more?
Sorry if that sounds harsh, I don't mean to be at all but think you should be realistic with the waiting list.
You need to ask the Bursar. There is also the possibility that even a full bursary might stretch you with ongoing extras. Sorry but I am doubtful this will become a reality and you seem to have invested an awful lot into this one option. What is your dh and dd's opinion ? Please follow advice on other thread re statement so you can get the best out of the ss , just in case.
I told her how proud I was that she passed and with no tutoring.
I made sure she knew she had done really well but that the school just didn't have a bursary available for her. She keeps asking "is there a little hope I might still get a place?".she really loved the school and I feel guilty for getting her hopes up I just assumed with how poor we are coupled with how bright she is that we would get her a place especially given her other problems.
I really did have all my hopes pinned on it I feel awful now for being so naïve. I really thought we had a chance.
It was just so perfect for dd1. I will accept her SS place but will be finding out about statement as she will encounter huge difficulties there and Iam concerned.
All I can do is make the best of the situation
Can you reapply at another date? 13+ say?
I really don't think anything will change unless you speak to the school's Bursar direct. If you just wait I fear nothing will happen, the offer will lapse and you will be none the wiser. iirc you have a younger dd who you hoped might also got here so you need to know one way or another if a future application is worthwhile.
Yes I have another dd but she is only 3 so its a long way off but she has same medical issues and other problems so would like her to attend for same reasons
I will phone tomorrow and ask to speak to the bursar.
"I just can't see how we didn't meet the criteria."
"how poor we are coupled with how bright she is that we would get her a place especially given her other problems."
You may have met the criteria your daughter may have done very well in the exam she might even have doe better with a tutor but you want a 100% bursary and these are basically are few and far between, the bottom line is that few schools even the really wealthy ones like Eton are dishing many of those out. The size of bursaries offered hangs on how big the bursary pot is and how many apply for the money. Logic would tell you that most schools would rather offer 33% bursaries to three children than a 100% bursary to one. There is no point going over what you should have done you need to get on the phone to the bursar and have an up front and open conversation. I sure he has absolutely no doubt how much you need to send your DD but you need to simply say I need to be honest with my daughter and I cant let her keep hoping that a place might become available if its a no hoper, I need 100% and need to know if this is even remotely possible what are the chances of enough dropping out for this too happen before the deadline people?
Frankly I'm sorry to have to say this but I've been in the bursary game in a variety of independent schools for many years I think your chances are pretty slim.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.