11+ options - SHHS, CLSG, NLCS

(36 Posts)
MajesticWhine Thu 28-Feb-13 07:26:18

We have a difficult decision to make and want to do it soon. Can anyone pitch in with personal experiences? SH is our nearest and the others would involve a tube ride. But our DD favours CLSG over the others. But it will be very hard to turn down NLCS with its record of results and brilliant facilities.

QPmummy Sun 03-Mar-13 11:24:25

my youngest is at ShJS and it is very sporty. My friends daughter is heavily involved in sport at the senior school too.They've just employed a new headmistress for the junior school from another GDST school. I think it's a great school -very happy with the junior school so I'm sure the new senior school head will be equally great.

I'm torn between the senior and Highgate because SHHS is so good and when I ask my daughter if she'll REALLY be ok with getting the bus at 7.15 as oppossed to 8.00 I can see the glimmer of doubt in her mind...!

Whatever you choose it will be fine ...!

curious100 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:49:23

Daughter got in NLCS, HABS and Watford Grammar - choosing Watford Grammar

ThrebnellBlewitt Tue 05-Mar-13 19:42:37

Hi just joined Mumsnet and just getting the hang of these thread thingies. Also struggling to decode the messages. Our eldest has been offered NLCS and St Albans High School and as we are based on Herts the High School is nearer. We have lots of local friends and colleagues with good reports of the High School but no one re NLCS. Eldest a polymath and worried re unknown and totally different demographic to small state primary in rural village. Any advice would be appreciated

horsemadmom Wed 06-Mar-13 00:37:00

Hi
I have DD2 starting in September and DD1 in yr 10. We absolutely love NLCS. DD1 has been well supported and nurtured but never, ever feels pushed. There will be many girls coming alone from small primaries and many families with no experience of private school. If your DD has been offered a place, it means that they really believe she'll thrive there. It does everything it's reputation would suggest- stimulate and excite the girls' learning, offer a huge range of sports, arts and clubs and create confident young women. All of this happens without a feeling of competitiveness or pressure. PM if you need more info.

yessirnosir Wed 06-Mar-13 10:47:58

Well, we made the decision at 7 this morning, have gone against all my expectations and gone with CLSG. After I had dropped off the acceptance, dh rang and said let's change our minds to NLCS, not helpful. It was dd's favourite, so at least she can't throw it back in our faces when she's a stroppy teen. I thought I'd feel happy to have made the decision, but I just feel worried we made the wrong one. I guess now we just have to be positive and get excited about it.

See you the Majestic!

yessirnosir Wed 06-Mar-13 10:56:57

Well, we made the decision at 7 this morning, have gone against all my expectations and gone with CLSG. After I had dropped off the acceptance, dh rang and said let's change our minds to NLCS, not helpful. It was dd's favourite, so at least she can't throw it back in our faces when she's a stroppy teen. I thought I'd feel happy to have made the decision, but I just feel worried we made the wrong one. I guess now we just have to be positive and get excited about it.

See you the Majestic!

MajesticWhine Wed 06-Mar-13 21:05:08

Congratulations! I know what you mean about the doubts. I am filled with the same worries. But at least you know you have done your best to get it right in good faith. And if it's your DD's choice, then I think that's very important. I am delighted you came to the same outcome as we did. It feels very reassuring. See you there smile

QPmummy Wed 06-Mar-13 21:39:10

We ended up going for our daughters choice too! At least she can't blame us in her teenage years for sending her to a school she didn't feel comfortable in!
I hope you are all feeling as relieved as I am tonight. We've all had enough of school discussions!

yessirnosir Wed 06-Mar-13 22:32:02

I certainly never want to discuss schools again, it's a shame we'll have to do it twice more!

It is reassuring to know someone else made the same choice, I just wish I was confident enough to be happy with the choice on my own. Still, dd seems even happier this evening and I know I'm happier with my worries than the one poor soul left in dd's class who, as of today, still didn't have a place. I really, really feel for her.

Hisown1997 Tue 13-May-14 19:40:33

Hello everyone! : )

Well I have a dilemma, I'm trying to choose between sending my 16 year old daughter for sicth form (year 12) to Queenswood or NLCS. She is very much into drama, dance and music french and english lit and is very friendly. These two years are very important to her and she needs to be in a place where they will nurture her and bring out the best in her. I don't want to put her in a pressurised environment for sure!

In addition, does anyone know what Nlcs is like? I would particularly like to know if a child is struggling how do the staff and girls take it. Is the girl made fun of, treated normally and is she helped. Tips on friendship etc would be great too. Would this school be good for what she wants to study?

Does anyone know what Queenswood is like? Would queenswood be good for what my daughter wants to study?

Love both schools but just can't decide?

Thankyou

wubwubwub Tue 03-Jun-14 09:45:07

Queenswood is one of (if not) the best girls school in the country for Drama

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now