Latymer Upper

(81 Posts)
Rifraf79 Fri 22-Feb-13 22:19:53

Our DS has been offered a place at Latymer Upper (year 7) and by a couple of schools further away; We and he really like what we've seen of LU but I'd be grateful to hear from current parents about any down sides/negatives we should be aware of, as well reasons why a bright but not especially cool or sophisticated boy would thrive there. Thanks!

complexnumber Fri 15-Nov-13 07:46:01

boy who showed us round seemed more like a 40 year old than a 11 year old - scarily serious and mature!

Ahem! I am 53, and neither serious nor mature.

(And I went to Latymer as a boy)

harrassedswlondonmum Fri 15-Nov-13 09:16:04

I think the later tours that day were done by year 9 - are you sure he was 11?!

I have a son at LU and looking down the year directory, there are a very high percentage of non-British sounding names. To say that foreigners are unwelcome is not correct, it is just not the case.

Seren2013 Sat 24-May-14 22:39:29

Update for anyone still listening on how our first year at LU has been like. In a word: fundraising. The entire year has been spent being asked to raise money for the new school sports centre. Our friends' children have had school trips and a residential in the first term for the incoming children to get to know each other. What were LU pupils doing? They had a bake sale to raise money for the new sports centre. We parents threw dinners in January and charged our friends for the pleasure, to raise money for the new sports centre. Fundraise! Fundraise! Fundraise!

The happiest parents seem to be parents of boys, and that's no surprise. This school--parents of girls take note--is really geared for boys. The rules are pounded into them the entire first term. Perfectly good children, but rules are rules! There aren't many sports for girls either. Parents have had meetings with the new head of sport, but he doesn't know what to do about it.

The other official line is that the students are fine, but the parents are anxious because they are used to sweet prep schools. That's a very useful angle. The school has no responsibility to make the community cohesive for parents and students. The parents just need to take a chill pill!

LetsEscape Sun 25-May-14 12:08:24

You are absolutely right that this year there is fundraising as a priority. This was not the case last year. As you know the target has been met so next year will not be the same. I much rather the school chose to fundraise rather than hike up the fees and in any case in less than 18 months time we will all benefit from some great facilities including new pool and actually a whole new floor that I am sure will increase the minority sports for all, including the girls.

I am sorry your child has not had a good year. I hope they have been able to enjoy all the extracurricular activities, drama, music etc. and that she has a great time on the activity week coming up soon. For the record, I don't have experiences of rules being pounded into them in year 7. Was this just one form tutor or across the board? Certainly not our experience last year. Actually some rules may have been useful to some individuals! It is however a big school (160+ in a year) which I think can be a shock for some quieter children so is best suited to individuals who are more confident, social and love buzzy energetic places, with bags to do and want to get involved.

Beingfrank Sun 25-May-14 16:36:59

Seren - you sound rather unhappy. Are you regretting your choice?

Seren2013 Fri 30-May-14 10:38:08

LetsEscape, I don't know where the rule-pounding is coming from. It's not a big problem, only alongside the absence of other things.Beingfrank, DC will survive. Just some thoughts for anyone applying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now