Good State Secondary Schools in London

(28 Posts)
likestoplan Fri 22-Feb-13 12:30:33

Hello
I'm looking at areas of London where I'd like to live, and obviously being in a area with goods schools is on of the top priorities.

Could anybody help with a list of the better schools in the capital for secondary education? I've tried googling but just cant come up with anything. From what I hear North London seems to be the place to go, but I cant seem to find any good info.

Ideally Im after information on non-selective schools (I dont think London has any grammars anyway), but any information would be helpful, as I've run into a brick wall with my own research.
Thanks in advance.

likestoplan Fri 22-Feb-13 12:32:29

apologies for the appalling typos by the way!

Calouste Fri 22-Feb-13 21:48:18

Fortismere

www.fortismere.haringey.sch.uk

Alexandra Park School

www.apsch.org.uk

SavoirFaire Fri 22-Feb-13 22:06:02

Graveney, in Wandsworth, if you can buy a house next door.

Urbanvoltaire Sat 23-Feb-13 00:09:21

From my research (not just league tables), The Charter in Herne Hill & Langley boys & girls in Beckenham (Kent but close to London boroughs). Both have v small catchments areas of less than a mile.

thewhistler Sat 23-Feb-13 00:19:58

It depends where you want to live. Some of the outer boroughs do have grammar schools, sutton for example, I think.

Beckenham is in London , it is in Bromley, and thanks to the local comps becoming academies, the langley schools' catchments are expanding.

Go on line to look at the recent results. The evening standard runs league tables of the boroughs and schools, IIRC,and you can do a sort of the times ones too.

happyAvocado Sat 23-Feb-13 16:37:34

yes, 5 grammar schools in Sutton Borough

hwjm1945 Sat 23-Feb-13 19:37:30

Barnet which is north London is generally good

Latymer, Dame Alice Owen and Queen Elizabeth Boys are all selectives schools in north london.
Muswell hill also have high performing schools, Fortismere is excellent.

hwjm1945 Sat 23-Feb-13 21:18:20

V good detectives and community comps are generally ok

hwjm1945 Sat 23-Feb-13 21:18:40

Sorry selective.

minesawine Sat 23-Feb-13 21:44:13

The schools in Ealing are really good. Above average results. Ealing Borough is a great place to live,

fruitcorner Sun 24-Feb-13 07:49:40

I'm interested in the comment that Ealing secondaries are good, I think it depends where you live in the Borough or if you are religious doesn't it?

Artichook Sun 24-Feb-13 07:55:40

Ealing is no good if you aren't religious.

HalleLouja Sun 24-Feb-13 08:57:28

Dame Alice Owens is actually in Potters Bar (Herts) but you can still get in from North London. It is a really good school.

HalleLouja Sun 24-Feb-13 08:58:27

I don't think its completely selective either. Though am not sure what the criteria are any more.

LondonMother Sun 24-Feb-13 08:58:47

Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham Academy in Telegraph Hill, SE14. You need to live very close to it to be sure of a place. It has one feeder primary school at the moment and plans to open a primary free school whose pupils would also have guaranteed transfer to the senior school.

Lewisham schools generally are a lot better than they used to be, and most of them are not faith schools. I think I'm right in saying that Lewisham is still not as expensive to live in as most other parts of London. It has excellent transport links to both Docklands and the City.

There are still quite a few grammar schools on the fringes of London (e.g. the Sutton and Bexley schools, St Olave's and Newstead Woods in Orpington, Dartford Grammar x2). They're mostly very hard to get into, though.

littlecrystal Sun 24-Feb-13 21:17:25

thewhistler would you be so kind to clarify your words "Beckenham is in London , it is in Bromley, and thanks to the local comps becoming academies, the langley schools' catchments are expanding." ?

It directly affects me but I am not sure what you mean?

bigTillyMint Sun 24-Feb-13 21:20:12

It depends on what you think makes a good state secondaryconfused

What are you looking for/what is likely to suit your DC?

CarlingBlackMabel Sun 24-Feb-13 21:36:22

Charter, Harris Boys East Dulwich (and the corresponding girls school) in Southwark, Sydenham (girls), Lewsham, Dunraven Streatham (Lambeth), Graveney (Wandsworth), (but semi-selective).

Look at the league tables borough by borough. And make sure you look at the Value Added scores, not just the exam results.

It might not much matter whereabouts in London: London secondaries outperform those in all other areas of the country.

(sorry - should have specified, in terms of progress made per pupil.)

CarlingBlackMabel Sun 24-Feb-13 22:16:17

RudeAwake: Interesting. London schools do seem to be unfairly demonised.
But then half the time I think people are more worried about who else goes to them than the education on offer hmm.

SavoirFaire Sun 24-Feb-13 22:30:30

Hear hear carling. I think some people forget that schools are not places which you send your children to in order to extend your social circle, rather than to give your child an education.

muminlondon Mon 25-Feb-13 00:09:56

London schools are best in the country - 81% of pupils in good or outstanding schools - no other region omes close. Boroughs where all schools good or outstanding include Harrow, Bromley, Sutton and Hounslow:

dataview.ofsted.gov.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now