The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013 continued

(861 Posts)
Somelikeithott Sat 16-Feb-13 16:46:17

Hi all as I posted on previous thread, I realised we had hit the 1000 mark, do felt obliged to open a new one. Hope everyone finds this thread easily

InASchoolsDilemma Thu 25-Sep-14 16:32:20

You could consider West Wickham. It's a few miles west of Trinity. Your DS could easily go from WW to Trinity by bus. It has a nice high street with: Boots, WH Smith, M&S Food, a few coffee shops, Sainsbury's, Pizza Express.

Or there's Beckenham - the high street has more shops than West Wickham, and it's probably nicer in that it has more restaurants and cafés, and there is also good public transport to the school.

Sandiebut13 Thu 25-Sep-14 14:53:15

Hi all,
We are hoping to send our DS to Trinity School Croydon. We currently live in Battersea SW, but would prefer to live closer to the school. We'd like to find an area that has an half decent high street,reasonably priced property and good transport nearby (hope i'm not expecting too much).
I have looked myself, but would love to hear from you.

Thanks a lot.

chappedhands Tue 17-Jun-14 19:21:56

Old Palace performs very well indeed, as you will see if you refer to the FT School Rankings table. There was a merger with another local girls' school some years back which was less academically selective. This might be where your questions come from. OP flew through the merger, always remaining high in the rankings table. My daughter attends OP and received scholarship offers from Guildford High and Christ's Hospital. We chose OP for its scholarly ethos as part of the Whitgift Foundation, its strong science programme (the school has had a 100% success rate for girls applying to medicine for the past 2 years), excellent music programme (important for my daughter). It has fostered her love of languages -- she is studying Greek, Latin and French --- and is planning a career in STEM. It is a very caring environment with the girls bonded very closely together. Teachers are of superb quality. Lucky is the girl that lands here. And to top it off, the fees are good value for money with a lot of scholarships available.

Shewhomustobeyed Wed 05-Mar-14 12:58:32

Congratulations to all of you whose DS's got the places and scholarships that you wanted.

As a parent who is gearing up for Sept 2014, I would be interested to know what you thought was the key to their success - was it attitude, practice, good tutor or something else?!

Many thanks

Melisa1234567 Sat 02-Nov-13 16:20:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Somelikeithott Sat 26-Oct-13 19:07:11

Thanks burntout, this is very useful information!!!!

burntoutdad Tue 22-Oct-13 14:13:15

If anyone is still searching for lost kit (and there is lots and lots of it) you might be interested to know that the pound is not the only place to search. I found some of Ds's kit left in the pavillion changing room, some in the lower school locker room and some in the sports centre 'black bag'! The sports center have a bag in thier closet, it contains all sorts of things - a watch (looked quite expensive), tracksuits, socks, books,pencil cases, even a CD! It's hilarious what the boys leave behind.
The lower school locker also had lots of bags, coats etc waiting to be recovered so ask Dss to look there if missing anything.
There are bits of kit and bags laying in various locations all over the school grounds - glad it's not just him!

Dibbleofficer Sat 19-Oct-13 22:35:49

Thanks that is very useful. We will give it a crack

MayContainWine Sat 19-Oct-13 20:51:52

Dibbleofficer I seem to remember on the application form they wanted clear evidence of achievement so far. Times/medals and obviously the more County/Regional/National references the better. But I think if you can get onto the sports scholarship assessment day (and not all do) the coaches will be looking for potential in all different areas and are pretty good at spotting it!! Nothing ventured etc. Give it a go I say.

Dibbleofficer Fri 18-Oct-13 13:36:48

Just wanted to take advice on the availability of scholarships at Whitgift at year 7 entry. Home high is the academic bar, my DD is also a good sportsman but not National level , has he any chance of a sports scholar

Thanks

burntoutdad Thu 17-Oct-13 22:40:46

That's good to know thanks, (although having to take half a day off work to find missing bits makes it even worse) - I'll see what turns up tomorrow smile

havinganightmare Thu 17-Oct-13 21:43:35

Burnt you can go and look for it over half term! They will open the pound as well. I was there last October trying to find missing school bag! Most of it will come back if not all! smile

burntoutdad Thu 17-Oct-13 19:27:03

Was doing really well on the losing kit thing, nothing until last week - and now 1 pair rugby shorts, complete swimming kit (towel, trunks,cap,goggles and bag), lamy pen, raincoat, boot bag and to cap it all brand spanking new pair of football trainers (not even worn once!) angry. Hoping some of it turns up tomorrow as last day!

SoupDragon Sat 12-Oct-13 12:58:27

And half are Whitgift parents anyway.

I still have no idea who Caomhe is and our DSs are in the 4th year. I may have been introduced to her several times for al I know!

FatalFlowerGarden Fri 11-Oct-13 18:26:03

What a strange thing to comment on, seenit! Is one only allowed to talk to random strangers on MN then?

seenitallbefore Fri 11-Oct-13 14:32:56

Don't you new Trinity parents not now know each other in person ? Just wondered why you all still use this Internet forum ? No offence meant. just seems a bit odd to me.

burntoutdad Thu 10-Oct-13 16:53:25

Lie ins? - you mean up at 6.45 instead of 6.30 - ahh those were the days (smile)

Croydonmumtods Thu 10-Oct-13 16:25:39

Lol hott no chance!

Somelikeithott Thu 10-Oct-13 16:07:58

There we were, thinking we would have a lie in on saturday....... wishful thinking eh!

burntoutdad Thu 10-Oct-13 15:10:44

Oh well - query solved!

Croydonmumtods Thu 10-Oct-13 15:01:16

Fixture list has just been updated with next 3 SDP training sessions.

Croydonmumtods Thu 10-Oct-13 13:49:51

Did send ds off this morning with strict instructions to ask mr M about Saturday expecting the usual reponse (oh I forgot!) but you never know!

burntoutdad Thu 10-Oct-13 13:15:07

Hi Croydon, thanks. We were already aware of the priorities and have indeed taken the line that you outlined above, agree that school comes first.
There was just a little confusion because some had been told and others not and the last Saturday was highlighted in the calendar but not other Saturdays. We held off calling school as I'm sure it will be cleared up by end of training today (smile).
TBH I quite like the thought of extra training at school!

Croydonmumtods Thu 10-Oct-13 12:47:14

hectic and burnt main school calendar ie the booklet shows sports development every weekend and ds seemed to think that everyone on last weeks list should attend every week until told otherwise. School fixtures take priority over school training. All other conflicts need to be discussed with the teacher involved to see if a compromise can be reached. I have emailed Mr Martin a couple of times and he is very nice and approachable. This is something they deal with all the time so would not be worried about speaking to him but don't be surprised if they don't agree that playing for a Saturday league footie team takes priority over school. Sports mentors can also help with negotiations if need be and ds's mentor indicated that as they progress through the school it is likely that they will do less and less sport outside the school with only representative sport (district or county) taking priority over school fixtures and even then the school may not always agree if it is an important fixture.

Sorry didn't mean to go on but the school does take sport very seriously and any conflicts would be best discussed as soon as possible.

burntoutdad Tue 08-Oct-13 22:02:53

Hi Hectic - I understood that it was a one off, as a session had been missed midweek? But also that it could be called at any time that it is required.
Ive been checking the sports calendar now and then and it only appears on that one Saturday so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now