The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013 continued

(859 Posts)
Somelikeithott Sat 16-Feb-13 16:46:17

Hi all as I posted on previous thread, I realised we had hit the 1000 mark, do felt obliged to open a new one. Hope everyone finds this thread easily

frazzledforty Mon 11-Mar-13 16:14:29

Yes, thank you all for sharing your wisdom!

I'm a worrier, but I'm beginning to think DS (and I) may just make it through the first term.

racegirl - would be deeply thankful for your feedback on buttons - that does sound perfect.

JohnnyT Mon 11-Mar-13 22:54:42

morange - thanks so much for the info! Will definitely opt in the contact list. Hope to see folks from the thread soon.

fondofuk Mon 11-Mar-13 23:34:58

DS starting year 9 from sep and thinking of swiching from french to spanish. Been in england for just over 2 years and even still picking up english and so his french is at minimal. I know from my experience that spanish is way easier to a non european language speaker. Seems like at W boys start spanish from yr 7 or 8 so still bit worried if he can make it up ready for gcse action in 1 or 2 yr time. Any practical experience on this pls?

frazzledforty Tue 12-Mar-13 11:11:00

fondofuk - it seems nobody has been in a similar position - but the school must have dealt with it before and will be able to give advice. It would make sense to me to do Spanish rather than French in your case, but I'm no expert (as you can see from my own question on languages).

hippychick10 Tue 12-Mar-13 19:54:54

Hi
I've been lurking for months with great interest, and decided to register!
I, too, have a ds starting at Whitgift this September in Year 9. He will also be boarding.

We did receive, a few days ago, a letter from W about language choices and creative arts choices.
The only 'new' language the boys can start in Year 9 is Italian. They have to carry on with one language they are already studying (or indeed can carry on with two languages they may be studying). They must study two languages in total in Year 9.

Hope this helps

fondofuk Wed 13-Mar-13 00:09:35

hippy - glad to have another boarder here. I emailed W and they would come back to me soon with advice. they have about 20 year 9 boarders out of about 30 or so new yr 9 joiners. The letter seemed to be too much geared for incumbents though.

hippychick10 Wed 13-Mar-13 09:15:44

My son is doing French and Italian. He is currently doing French and Latin at his prep school, but can't wait to drop Latin!
He hates it!
He's done French for 7 years already, and was hoping to give up that one too.....but no such luck.

frazzledforty Thu 21-Mar-13 11:31:47

Not sure if anyone is still around.. I was wondering if W did indeed have the second entrance exams? This is not meant to stir things up, merely a curiosity.

Should we go ahead and make appointments with the school shop for fittings or do we wait until we get the relevant letter/s?

ClangerAfterClanger Thu 21-Mar-13 20:58:01

I have made my appointment with the school shop - very helpful man, he said appointment spaces were filling up, so maybe give them a call.

Zato Thu 21-Mar-13 21:48:10

Has anyone tried paying 7 years up front ? W and T get money upfront and the parents lock in current fees. Maybe a strange request but just a though

Thanls

Ringstar Thu 21-Mar-13 22:28:29

Zato yes we did that and have never regretted the decision. Not at w but most schools offer this sort of scheme so worth enquiring if you have some cash set aside. Just knowing you are paid up and just have an incidentals bill each term to cover makes budgeting easier.

Zato Fri 22-Mar-13 07:33:00

Many thanks. Will get on the phone and see what happens. We have been saving since DS was born to fund schooling. Been through some hard patches but we are ready.

FatalFlowerGarden Mon 22-Apr-13 10:59:51

Just been for ds's uniform fitting - eeeep! Not exactly a cheap morning but the look on his face when he put his blazer on was worth it! He still looks soooooo tiny though...

Am so excited (as is ds!). Just having to manage a bout of the green eyed monster from a friend with a son in ds's class. She freely admitted years ago that she wanted W or T for her two dses, but can't afford to send both boys. She is now being vile about my decision to send ds at 10. Sigh. I don't want to lose her friendship over this but am really just feeling, well, rrraaaaagghhhhhh!

Hope everyone else is enjoying the wait!

Croydonmumtods Wed 24-Apr-13 14:45:08

Hi Fatal. Checked for first time in ages to see if any new posts and as I was reading yours letter arrived from Whitgift re arrangements for June meeting and Lake Garda trip. Makes it all real again and hard not to get excited. Our uniform fitting is in 2 weeks. Shame about your friend but probably very little you can do. Must make last months at school very difficult for you and your ds. Try not to let it get to you too much - you have made your decision based on what's best for your child and your friend will either realise this and accept it or she won't.

frazzledforty Wed 24-Apr-13 23:48:50

Uniform fitting in 3 weeks. I fear the smallest sizes may still be too big, but then I can't imagine DS will be the scrawniest, shortest boy to have ever started at W. ALthough it won't surprise me..

The weeks are dragging and it seems the Year 6s in our school are getting rather tetchy with each other. DS and best friend have fallen out, there have been a few nasty comments about schools f(not only W, also the different state schools the others are off to) and I think some of them have already either moved on in their heads, or are going through a tough time getting ready for the change. The parents and even the teachers seem to be affected by this, too! This is not a moan, but I have been pointedly ignored by the uber mums since the results and the attitude towards DS in class has pretty much been to just get on with it without help "as he should know all the work". Bring on September, I say!

hardboiled Thu 25-Apr-13 19:08:25

So sad to hear these stories. Everyone in DS school seems happy and mature about their choices/fate and tolerant with everyone else's. These things really affect children's attitudes toward their future schools.

Fatal, obviously this is not a woman you want for a friend...IMO.

It seems to me the world is full of grown ups who need to grow up!

frazzledforty Mon 10-Jun-13 13:04:40

Is anyone still out there? With SATS done and dusted, uniform sorted (I now think the blazer will be too small by August, let alone stretch to the end of the first year!) it finally feels like we're in the home straight.

Is anyone attending the W sports course? Will the average boys also benefit? DS is going, just hoping it won't scar him for life if everyone else is super talented..

Ladymuck Mon 10-Jun-13 15:17:35

The sports course is a good introduction to a large range of sports (I think they do at least 4 different sports every day, not just the usual team sports). There's a mix of ability. Yes some of the boys may be older and very talented, but unless he is sport-shy and has to be prised from the car <squints at ds2> I suspect that he will enjoy himself.

frazzledforty Tue 11-Jun-13 10:33:20

Thank you, Ladymuck, that is very reassuring. We may need the jaws of life to get him out the car by Day 3 (or a stretcher to get him home), but I'll be very happy if it gets rid of any of the current Year 6 stroppiness.

Ladymuck Tue 11-Jun-13 12:05:06

Well if nothing else it should tire him out! They're fairly full days. And it will give you and him a chance for another nose around the school, and work out where everything is. It's also a way for catching sight of a few familiar faces, and I think gives a balance to the leaving primary school experience: now look at where you'll be going.

The uniform shop will be expecting lots of uniform to be exchanged, so I wouldn't worry about the blazer at all. At least you'll know what size you are after so you can just phone and ask them to put one aside for you. They do of course shoot up in that first year or two. Which was the only way I could cope with the fact that the blazer seemed to get thrown on the ground so regularly.

frazzledforty Thu 13-Jun-13 08:58:11

Of course some of us thought we were really prepared for once and had all the clothes, including blazer, labelled already. Will revert to procrastination. If I get around to it.

FatalFlowerGarden Thu 13-Jun-13 14:40:49

Hello all - haven't let myself look at this thread until today as felt it was tempting fate! Reason is that I was waiting to hear on confirmation of ds's bursary - which I got today, wooohoooo grin Such a relief; after the to-ing and fro-ing of earlier this year I was half-convinced it was all a mistake but no, it's sorted, he's going, it's done! Now I can let myself sew on a few name tapes (and start some serious budgeting too!)

So, is anyone else going to the new parents' evening on the 19th?

FatalFlowerGarden Thu 13-Jun-13 14:42:16

frazzled - I don't think ds is going to be able to attend the sports course as its still in term time for him. Do you think it will make a difference if he doesn't?

frazzledforty Thu 13-Jun-13 14:56:32

Fatal - well done, so happy for you! That's amazing news.

Sports course is also in term time for DS, but the current head has granted him permission to go as "off-site education", which I thought was really a pretty wonderful thing to do. I thought there was no harm in asking as they're hardly doing any work in the last few weeks. We signed up for sports course mainly because we're away when they're doing induction - and as it will be the last family holiday we'll ever be able to afford, we did not want to cancel that.

I'll be the one trying my best to take small ladylike sips at the new parents evening and end up swigging from a bottle. Or such.

LoveandHope Mon 17-Jun-13 05:47:46

Whitgift or Tonbridge ?
Hi I am from overseas and very luckily we have received the full boarding offer (GCSE) from both Whitgift and Tonbridge. My DS is the play-hard and study-hard type. He is targeting to get into a top-top university, and at the same time keen to gain personal development exposure various fronts. We have to make up our mind in the next 2 days. Your kind advice much appreciated. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now