Worried mother looking for a suitable school for daughter- please help!

(78 Posts)
manicmother80 Thu 14-Feb-13 03:05:47

I live in India, and my 14 year old daughter is having a hard time in the schooling system here. She is a bright and talented girl but the schools here are very rigid and hierarchial whereas she is creative and independant-minded. She is determined to come to a boarding school in the UK, but I'm worried that she has been far too protected at home and will not enjoy the experience unless we find her a school that is a 'perfect fit' for her.

To give you an idea of what my daughter is like: her grades are consistently at the top of her class for the subjects she likes (English, Maths, Economics) and below average for those that she doesn't enjoy (Science, History). She's an enthusiastic debator, she writes and directs drama and she has created her own online comic strip that is very popular with her school students. She attends after-school classes in graphic design, photography and animation.

She is very extroverted and a little rebellious and contrarian. She is not at all the 'posh' type and is happiest in a friendly and casual atmosphere. She enjoys a bit of recreational rowing, riding and trekking but is not at all interested in competitive sport.

I've been considering Bradsfield College, St. Edwards School Oxford, Moreton Hall and Westonbirt School. Do these sound like a good fit for her? Which would you say is the best of the lot?

I'm looking for boarding schools (either co-ed or all-girls) in Southern or Middle England for entry in Sixth Form in September 2014. I would very much appreciate reccomendations of boarding schools with cosy, close-knit community atmosphere and top-notch art and drama opportunites. Ideally, a school that is not too pressurizing academically, but that is still intellectually challenging enough for a smart teenager.

And I should add that my daught

1BigMumma Fri 30-Aug-13 09:03:08

Hi
I wonder if you found the right school for your daughter? I know Moreton Hall very well and cannot recommend it highly enough. I am stunned by their academic results which, they say, are the best ever this year and seems to put them as one of the very highest non-selective independent schools in the country. But more than that my daughter loves the atmosphere, so friendly and everyone seems to find their own 'thing' and is encouraged in it.
Anyway, term starts next week so I guess you have sorted things out by now? But if you haven't I'd drop them a line. Good luck!
1BigMumma

DalmationDots Sat 31-Aug-13 13:30:55

Priors Field in Godalming, Surrey sounds the perfect match for her.

indieaka Sun 01-Sep-13 10:49:06

From the sounds of it, Leighton Park School in Reading would fit the bill perfectly. It ticks all the boxes you mention and they offer fantastic opportunities to be involved with arts and drama (not to mention a fantastic textiles dept), and there is an increasingly large group of students and staff becoming involved with 'digital arts' and filmmaking using iPads etc which might tie in well with your daughter's interest in animation etc. Good luck in your search!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now