GCSE Choices 2013 (exams 2015) support thread

(207 Posts)
DizzyHoneyBee Mon 11-Feb-13 15:27:08

Here we go....options choices this month, exams in summer 2015. We're choosing options at the moment but I've not come across a support thread.

Does your DC know what they want to do already or are they needing a lot of help deciding?
Where have you gone for information?

We get a booklet this week apparently and then have a meeting at school to discuss listen to a sales pitch by the teachers discuss the options that are best and then we have about 2 weeks to make a decision.

BackforGood Mon 04-Mar-13 23:18:07

Can I join? Been to dd's parents evening, and separate options evening within 4 days of each other - not quite sure I've understood the logic of that hmm
Been really surprised by her school - no-one has been encouraging her to take their options, even though all her reports are excellent, levels are excellent, everyone starts off saying how lovely she is to teach. Found it really wierd, as I have an older ds at a different school. When it was his trun, the teachers were, as other have said above, virtually dragging him over to thier tables to sign him up, even though he's more...er... how can I phrase this... shall we say ...'more of a challenge to teach' than dd, and never, in a million years was he ever going to get above average grades.
Really wierd how they do it differently.
Still not sure what to put for dd's options - the 3 she's edging towards are definitely not what dh wants her to do, but then, he hasn't been to the options evenings or parents evening.....

crazymum53 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:07:28

Am lurking on this thread as we will be having to choose next year. Seems to be much more choice available these days.
My dh has always resented the fact that his father chose his options for him and then wondered why he didn't get top results! Yes you can guide your children and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of possible options with them but they may lose motivation is not given some choice themselves. There are many subjects that you can study at A level or degree level without a GCSE in that subject so dcs may have another chance to study some options.

SanityClause Tue 05-Mar-13 09:15:59

There is a really useful booklet from the Russell Group, which give details of probable A levels required for various degree courses. You can download it from this page. It does also mention which GCSEs are useful.

DD1's school has a sixth form handbook, which gives details of GCSE requirements to study an A level, there. So, we worked through it, to make sure she has lots of bases covered with her GCSEs.

She doesn't know what she wants to do for a living, so it's more a matter of keeping as many options open as possible, for her.

Horsemad Tue 05-Mar-13 09:16:25

We've told our DC to choose subjects they enjoy - they have to do all the important ones anyway such as Maths English and the 3 Sciences, plus a language so it doesn't leave a lot else to choose from.

DizzyHoneyBee Fri 29-Mar-13 09:10:05

So, how is it all going? All decisions made?

My DD said that her school have started speaking to some people about their options and trying to rejig things so they can get as many people in the options they want and so on. She's not been spoken to so is assuming that she has her options.

speedology Fri 05-Jul-13 20:06:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BlotOnTheLandscape Sat 27-Sep-14 18:43:23

Yes, I know it's a zombie thread - I couldn't find a new one.
We've just had the exam timetable - frighteningly real now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now