ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

GCSE Choices 2013 (exams 2015) support thread

(207 Posts)
DizzyHoneyBee Mon 11-Feb-13 15:27:08

Here we go....options choices this month, exams in summer 2015. We're choosing options at the moment but I've not come across a support thread.

Does your DC know what they want to do already or are they needing a lot of help deciding?
Where have you gone for information?

We get a booklet this week apparently and then have a meeting at school to discuss listen to a sales pitch by the teachers discuss the options that are best and then we have about 2 weeks to make a decision.

GreenShadow Fri 01-Mar-13 15:59:04

Thanks Horesmad.

There's so much history that is closer to home and of more relevence than 19th Century America, it just seems such an odd choice to me.

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Mar-13 17:00:32

Hi Horse. smile We have Options evening on Monday. An hours talk followed by a meet the teacher thing.

Horsemad Fri 01-Mar-13 18:27:39

Hi Sparkling - does he know what he wants to do when he leaves school?

Green have asked my DS1 and he's doing American West and also Surgery in addition to the ones I mentioned earlier. His board is Edexcel.

Tinks313 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:16:33

Hi, I'm feeling a bit disappointed DS had his option meeting today at school and he is not able to take two humanities, not enough students at his school want to take two humanities, so he has had to drop one. He will now be doing:-
Triple science
Eng Lang & Lit
maths
Geography
Music
Law (GCSE), this is instead of History.

I guess he will also be doing the compulsory short RE/citizenship course.

I'm disappointed because this is a young lad (year 8) who has no idea what he wants to do in the future and I felt his option choices kept his options open with the two humanities. I'm not sure Law GCSE a good option, or what use it'll be. No real interest in Law. Says it was the best available option in the block.

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Mar-13 20:35:12

Not a clue Horse. grin

Horsemad Fri 01-Mar-13 22:19:09

Mine says he wants to be a primary school teacher - or a footballer grin

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Mar-13 22:28:57

Are they supposed to know at 13 what they want to do for a career?

Horsemad Fri 01-Mar-13 22:38:22

I still don't know what I'd like to do confused

DizzyHoneyBee Fri 01-Mar-13 22:42:09

We've done the form and submitted it, though this evening it is debatable if my DC will live long enough to take her GCSEs! angry Teenage attitude anybody?

DizzyHoneyBee Fri 01-Mar-13 22:42:46

Love them really lol grin

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Mar-13 22:45:17

grin Dizzy DS1 has just had the mother of all strops. He has just come in from footy training and asked if he can have a carton of Orange juice. I said to make himself some squash. Huge explosion. confused

Jux Fri 01-Mar-13 23:56:40

Sparkling, I was well into my 30s before I'd worked out what I wanted to do. Thanks to evening classes etc I had been able to chalk up loads and loads of knowledge since I was 18, so getting a degree was pretty straightforward - and they still had grants (I think I was the last year to get anything like it, paltry as it was. WHen my friends had gone to Uni and I had gone to work - 70s - the grants were more than I earnt!).

OTOH, my younger brother knew when he was 11 what he wanted to do. DH was about the same age.

My daughter has known what she wants to do since she was less than 5.

Despite those 3 people, though, I think it's exceptional to know for sure what you want to do when you're only 13 or so. Though quite a few of dd's contemporaries want to be famous grin

DizzyHoneyBee Sat 02-Mar-13 10:56:59

I was in my 30s too. I always knew what I didn't want to do, well guess what I ended up doing?! I did do well at it but was glad to give it up and retrain. My to both know exactly what they want to do.

As for being famous, I hate it when that is the only ambition that some teenage girls have sad

Jux Sat 02-Mar-13 13:28:50

Yep, and teen boys too.

Tinks313 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:36:04

DS not able to take History due to option blocks. He had chose GCSE Law a a reserve option (but was not expecting to need it). Now tells me he really does not want to study law GCSE, but is thinking of asking to swap to Latin. I'm not sure how best to advise. Just wondering what others would recommend.

DizzyHoneyBee Sun 03-Mar-13 07:36:29

If he's got a good mix of academic subjects for the other options then why not use the last one to choose something that he really enjoys? My DD has done that and opted for fine art as her last one.

MelodyBaker Sun 03-Mar-13 09:19:10

Dds school are faffing us around. Should have had her choices last week. Now we will find out maybe this week more likley the week after.
Dd is climbing the walls! She is desprate to know what she's got. It's rather hilarious that whenever a brown envelope has arrived in the post she asks me to open It as it must be her options and then a meltdown when its a Amazon order.etc!

Hope your all good and your dc will know.soon

OddBoots Sun 03-Mar-13 16:09:24

My ds won't know until May. sad

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Mar-13 16:12:18

Is there any need to see the teachers? And if so which do you see and what do you say?

We have an hour's talk in the hall to start with tomorrow. It's going to be a long night....

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 16:18:09

sparkling I found it quite helpful to talk to the teachers and see what they thought re ds1 taking their subject at GCSE. Obv some are compulsory but re the optional ones it helped to get an idea on hoahr is currently doing and how he could be expected to do in GCSE and to find out a bit more about what theory entailed coursework/exam wise and what would be co red re history/geography etc. Our problem was that actually as ds1 is a top set student and expected to get a and a* grades that all the teachers are Keen for him to do their subject.

He has chosen now. 8 compulsory and then history, geography, computer science and statistics.

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Mar-13 16:20:47

Thanks 5. Was it chaos like Parents Evenings can be-with big queues for the teachers?

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 16:27:28

Yes it was chaos, we had specific time slots but everyone seemed to ignore them and it was a free for all sad

One teacher we didn't get to see but he really impressed me actually by phoning me up during half term! And we had a lovely chat despite the mad things being noisy, he has three kids himself so got the half term chaos! I was impressed he took the time during the holidays to call me and he was very helpful smile

One bonus was free tea/coffee and biscuits at our evening!

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Mar-13 16:28:35

I will have my elbows at the ready. grin

Horsemad Sun 03-Mar-13 17:19:55

Ours is Parents Evening and Options combined, we have appt style here - everyone ignores that and it's a massive free for all grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Mar-13 17:28:17

OMG Horse, that should be um, interesting. You may need wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now