NLCS or SPGS

(8 Posts)
Baha Sun 10-Feb-13 20:55:57

North London Collegiate or St Pauls? Plz some insider views for us to choose for 11+. We would need to move for either, so location wise, it would not make much difference. thanks

Eastpoint Mon 11-Feb-13 07:09:00

SPGS v friendly & loads going on all the time. Lots of girls who are the only one from their school. V small tutor groups (11) from yr7. 3 MFL options in yr7 + Latin then wider choice for MFL2 in yr8. No DT options at GCSE, no food technology at all. Loads of drama, some done without staff input, dance show run entirely by pupils. V good sport, lots of girls play for Middlesex, some in England U19 Lax. Obviously masses of music at a v high standard, double music lesson in yr7 as normal curriculum.

Baha Mon 11-Feb-13 20:31:46

Thank you Eastpoint.

Eastpoint Tue 12-Feb-13 16:39:55

Pm me if you want more

TalkingTree Fri 15-Feb-13 14:13:17

I have a DD at each. Both are very happy and both feel that they are at the best school. Both schools are very academic, do sports to a very high standard and have exceptional music. But the two schools have very different atmospheres. SPGS has a rather monied, west London feel, and I find it a bit arrogant. It's not very mixed, socially or ethnically. NLCS, despite its fabulous grounds and buildings has more of a grammar school feel to it. It gives out many bursaries and scholarships and has a very much more diverse set of pupils. I also feel the pastoral care is possibly slightly better at NLCS.

Copthallresident Fri 15-Feb-13 20:54:53

Yes, SPGS would be a difficult ask for any child not totally secure socially and intellectually. DD knew after the admission process it was not for her and I know of quite a few others who rejected it in favour of more supportive environments. However it would do no harm to let your DD decide for herself, providing she isn't going to be stressed out by the process?

Baha Mon 18-Feb-13 12:34:45

Thank you all.

clb Mon 18-Feb-13 13:29:56

I'd just like to add that my daughter, who's towards the bottom end of SPGS and could certainly not be described as totally secure socially and intellectually (how many 10 year olds applying to these schools can be?), is extraordinarily happy there, as her friends also seem to be.

Do PM me if you have any queries - I don't want to out myself, or her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now