Latymer... Any good if E's has a diagnosis of aspergers

(5 Posts)
Wotnow Fri 08-Feb-13 17:27:54

He doesn't ( yet) , but I suspect he will once we get to the end of the assessment process.
I want his transfer to be well managed which is why were going for a diagnosis.
He's really bright and the NVR is right up his street, as is maths and science.
He struggles a bit with essays ( not much imagination!)

I don't want to start thi king abiut latymer if the are rubbish with ( mild) SEN

Eastpoint Sat 09-Feb-13 07:24:46

Latymer in Enfield or Hammersmith?

Wotnow Sat 09-Feb-13 08:47:19

He grammar in Enfield.
I think he'll be ok in the exams.
He's really good at maths and NVR
But if he has a diagnosis, I'm wondering if they will be interested

Moominmammacat Sun 10-Feb-13 14:19:11

Isn't it all done on exam results? State schools don't interview or look at SN at this stage, in my experience, unless you are asking for extra time. And there are so many clever clogs applying that you need pretty good marks in all three papers.

TenthMuse Tue 26-Feb-13 18:37:19

Hi Wotnow, just wanted to add that I was a Latymer student in the '90s, and they weren't that hot on SEN then - the ethos was very much about about independent learning, without much in the way of pastoral support. Having said that, I know staff who now work there and they do seem to have quite a few children with (mild) Asperger's nowadays, so it could be that their awareness of SEN has improved since my time. They've always been hot on maths and science, so it could be that your ds's talents stand him in good stead, but be aware than there is a verbal reasoning element to the test too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now