What are english controled assesments marked out of?

(11 Posts)
Startail Sat 09-Feb-13 18:14:36

OK now I'm very very confused, she has *25/20 and #28/20 or 28/40

*I think this may be two added together (descriptive and narrative)
#28/40 makes sense if this is for lit.

She's dyslexic and her targets B, She'd be totally happy with a C as long as she passed Lit which she likes.

Why is it so complicated?
I did WJEC O Level.
I wrote an essay, did a comprehensions and "a shorten this into your own words", I'm too sodding dyslexic to get the spell checker to find the proper word and I still have an A (and for lit)

Startail Sat 09-Feb-13 17:45:57

you are all very kind she says she's doing WJEC English and OCR science, so I now know what to search for.

I would Email her teacher, but parents' evening is fairly soon and it seems a bit mean.

IAmLouisWalsh Sat 09-Feb-13 17:09:42

Different CAs, different marks. Edexcel are out of 20, 20, 24 and 24, for example.

ravenAK Sat 09-Feb-13 03:24:04

Here you go, if it's OCR.

www.ocr.org.uk/images/82318-specification.pdf.

You want page 21 & following.

It looks pretty similar to AQA, which I'm more familiar with. If it turns out it's not OCR, just google the name of the board + GCSE English Language Specification to find the exact one.

You already know that they'll be jigging 'bands' to fit 'grades', but at least this gives you some idea where she is.

Don't stress too much over spelling wrt her doing CA in year 10; she'll get clobbered on the Imaginative Writing component, yes, but that's the easiest one to have another crack at in year 11 - I'm currently doing this with my group, who are set 6 out of 8, so weak-ish.

Startail Sat 09-Feb-13 01:31:18

That's the problem we have the 10 and the 17, but not the 20.
So it tells me absolutely nothing.

Tigerstripes Fri 08-Feb-13 19:07:33

You can have some idea how she's doing by her actual mark. So if she got 17/20 then she's obviously doing better than if she got 10/20. But not all controlled assessments have the same total marks so get her to ask her teacher.

Startail Fri 08-Feb-13 09:03:53

Thanks cheese,
Seems a bit pointless having a modular system if you don't let the pupils see how they are progressing.

DDs dyslexic and has worked very hard in English, she didn't learn to read until she was in year six. (At 13 she got a reading age of 16 and a spelling age of 9. Out loud her reading is awful, but she has always been good at filling in the gaps and doing comprehensions. Quite how when she reads totally the wrong word is a mystery)

Her written work is still improving and I wish they hasn't started CAs so early (Autumn Y10). Her spelling is still way worse than DD2's was 9 and fortunately they do give her extra time.

CheeseStrawWars Fri 08-Feb-13 08:43:54

Apparently it's not available deliberately:

http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/news/ofqual-confirms-changes-to-grading-process-for-january-2013/

"Ofqual has today confirmed that exam boards will not set grade boundaries for GCSE English and GCSE English Language for the January 2013 assessments. Instead, only raw marks will be available and all further work on setting standards and grading, will be carried out following the June exam series."

Startail Fri 08-Feb-13 02:08:14

OCR I think?
I'll as DD in the morning. Bed now.

CheeseStrawWars Thu 07-Feb-13 22:13:51

I think it depends which exam board you're using?

Startail Thu 07-Feb-13 20:41:49

Our wonderful? school computer system is giving raw CA English marks and nothing else.

I know grade boundaries a up in the air and about as easy to pin down as mist, but anyone got any clues at all. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now