"Gifted and Talented" - could somone please explain this to me as I'm really not getting it and feel quite cross and I'm not a pushy mum, at all!!

(77 Posts)
sandyballs Thu 31-Jan-13 12:14:45

Honestly I'm not. But please explain how a child who absolutely hates PE and any form of exercise can be identified as "Gifted and Talented" in PE, yet a child who has represented the school in cross country, athletics, basketball and netball, done very well indeed in all of them, and was picked for the teams through trials, yet is not identified as "Gifted and Talented" for PE.

Am I missing something?

Biscuitsneeded Fri 01-Feb-13 14:24:33

Sandyballs, good to know there is a nicely bonkers, couldn't make-it-up explanation. Im a teacher, and used to dealing with this sort of school nonsense, and even I had hadn't foreseen just picking 2 kids out of each class as a strategy. Then again, as we well know (and please, nobody take offence), PE teachers aren't traditionally the brightest...

momb Fri 01-Feb-13 14:40:43

The G+T register doesn't even get mentioned at our cluster of schools. I only found out very recently that my ED is on the list for a couple of subjects, even though I knew she was getting extra lessons to do a couple of GCSEs early. I think it would be awful to have them handed out like end of year awards in letters home. It's only a funding thing after all isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now