Term time holiday. Should I email Headteacher?

(9 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Fri 25-Jan-13 18:15:58

circular -The schools around here have a blanket policy that all term time holidays are unauthorised regardless. Lots of people do it though and they don't impose fines like in some areas.

circular Fri 25-Jan-13 18:05:55

Can I ask why you believe it won't be authorised?

Similar situation here as in need to be around from 22/8 onwards for GCSE results/aftermath, and also have a mid-Aug committment.

I have spoken to DD2's school and they have led me to believe that taking her out for the last 2 days is likely to be OK - provided her attendance at time of application is at least 95%. She is yr5 though, so maybe primary different?

rubyrubyruby Fri 25-Jan-13 15:00:28

That's true! It will just make me feel better I suppose.

We have to fill in a specific form at our school.

fubbsy Fri 25-Jan-13 13:40:20

Your reasons won't make any difference to the head, so I wouldn't bother. They will record the absence as unauthorised in the school's statistics, but it won't make any difference to your dc.

I'm like Fran would just email shortly before you are due to go and say dc will be absent from school on these dates, kind regards fubbsy.

rubyrubyruby Fri 25-Jan-13 13:25:13

Shameless bump to see if anyone else has an opinion

Split decision so far!

rubyrubyruby Fri 25-Jan-13 09:09:40

It's not cost related. The only other time we could go would mean we are away when other DC gets GCSE results - which the school says we should be around for.

NewFerry Fri 25-Jan-13 08:34:20

If you've got a really good reason why you need to take them out early, rather than cost/convenience, then I think it's worth an email to the Head.

We did this a few years go when DH was working on a project with a go live date at the end of Aug, and there was no way he could take leave in the 6 weeks leading up to it as he was one of the senior managers. We emailed and were given permission to take DC out for a week at the start of July, after the end of year exams.

FrantasticO Fri 25-Jan-13 08:25:52

I wouldn't email, less likely to get into dialogue of why you can't have days off.
I would just send note or email week prior politely stating your child will not attend xxx dates. No need for huge explanations.
Good luck

rubyrubyruby Fri 25-Jan-13 08:21:13

or will I come across as a complete twunt.

I am taking my DC out of school for 3 days at the end of this academic year.

I know it won't be authorised but the form doesn't allow much room for explanation and I somehow feel I need to validate my reasons.

So - twunt or caring parent?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now