Secondary schools with great pastoral care

(12 Posts)
JoanByers Tue 22-Jan-13 12:34:57

I dunno Carrot, I didn't speak to them that recently. Probably closed now then. I thought they had an Headmasters List or some such.

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Tue 22-Jan-13 10:56:21

Tonbridge have just made offers to those in y6 from pretests Joan, does that mean they have held some places back?

JoanByers Mon 21-Jan-13 12:51:59

Tonbridge told me they were still open?

50shades1 Sun 20-Jan-13 13:20:22

My dd joined Stowe in year 9 last September and we have been blown away by the high levels of pastoral support. We have a dd who is flourishing and has never been happier. The communication has been excellent and I feel I have a far better gauge on how she is doing than I ever had at her previous day school despite the fact she is boarding.
The sport, art and music are all strong. My dd is working harder than ever, playing hard and just having great fun and these sentiments seem to be echoed by all the other parents we have met. Before you dismiss it take a look. We chose Stowe because of the happy vibes that we felt looking around, it has so far exceeded our expectations. Happy school hunting !

racingheart Sun 20-Jan-13 12:52:43

Not a public school, but Reeds in Surrey is just what you describe. Very sporty with lovely art studios and great drama. Small school, very cosy. Co-ed in 6th form. Famous alumni tend to be arty sporty types rather than politicians.

Ulysses101 Thu 17-Jan-13 20:25:18

You are right - Tonbridge is out for entry at 13 but I just looked up the deadline for Wellington - April 2013. I know its very popular at the moment but is probably not for us. Thank you for the input.

Labro Thu 17-Jan-13 13:17:02

If your ds is Year 6, theres a few on that list which you won't even be able to register for now, Tonbridge and Wellington spring to mind, if you mean hes age 6, then ignore me! I know Wellington through friends having their children there and wouldn't say their pastoral care is a particularly strong point.

Ulysses101 Thu 17-Jan-13 09:55:15

Thank you. I have that impression of Stowe and don't know if things have changed.

middleclassonbursary Wed 16-Jan-13 22:32:07

A friend had a really bad experience at Stowe might have been a one off but it was pretty unfortunate. Tonbridge is an excellent school very academic not quite Westminster but not far behind. If your not obsessed about your future school be selective then St Edwards would be my first choice then Tonbridge (I'm not sure there are many full boarders at Tonbridge might not be a problem of course) from your list.

Ulysses101 Wed 16-Jan-13 22:17:05

Thank you. I have heard that but not from anyone with personal experience. Any on that list you would definitely rule out? I also forgot to add Tonbridge and Charterhouse.

middleclassonbursary Wed 16-Jan-13 22:14:07

I'm very familiar with four on you list and know or have known children at all and all are good bar one but it is generally accepted by most heads and IME St Edwards standard of pastoral care is in a league of its own.

Ulysses101 Wed 16-Jan-13 21:24:52

Any thoughts on a boarding secondary school for ds (Y6) with great pastoral care 1-2 hours from London, co-ed or ss? Ds is bright, b/c teamer sports and loves choir, drama and art. At this point he is not an academic self starter and fairly disorganized. I would love thoughts on schools that have a good support mechanism and parental communication. The long list is Marlborough, Stowe, Wellington, Harrow, Rugby, Abingdon, and St. Edwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now