Please help me find non-rugby secondary schools accessible from SW London

(8 Posts)
castlesintheair Wed 16-Jan-13 16:06:05

No rugby at KGS. I think at Hampton there is rugby but you don't have to play it, could be wrong. Thought their ethos is as long as you play a sport it doesn't matter what it is.

BTCmum Wed 16-Jan-13 09:30:27

Thank you very much everybody - I will take a look at Caterham. City of London now pre-test at 11 so we have missed our chance there. Interesting to hear the comments about Royal Russell.

LIZS Tue 15-Jan-13 17:26:27

hello !
Yes that is true ime. ds hasn't played Rugby in years thanks to Hockey, Sailing and Outdoor Ed at his prep school and being able to opt out at C. In Winter term you can still do competitive Hockey and Cricket in Summer term even if you opted out of rugby in Autumn , or you do a mixture of swimming, xcountry, basketball, use the gym, cricket skills, athletics etc. Royal Russell is less academically selective. hth

Ladymuck Tue 15-Jan-13 17:17:55

Put a call out for LIZS but I think that Caterham may not require everyone to play rugby from 13. At worst they would play for 1 games session a week for 1 term per year, but as far as I am aware they have some boys opting out even from 11. It has 13+ entry without Year 6 pretesting. They seem to emphasise sport for all whilst accepting that team sports are not for everyone. Royal Russell is not in the same league academically to the other schools on your list.

mimbleandlittlemy Tue 15-Jan-13 17:02:55

City of London Boys doesn't play rugby but I don't know if that's accessible from you. They also have a 13+ intake.

BTCmum Tue 15-Jan-13 13:26:29

I have requested an appointment to see our head so I am hoping they will also be able to help but thought it worth seeing if anybody had any helpful suggestions as it may be a few weeks before my appointment happens and I am having a bit of a panic as to how limited our options may be!

annh Tue 15-Jan-13 13:20:41

Can the head of your current prep not help? They usually have a very good grasp of the strengths of senior schools in their area. Otherwise, regardless of how wide you spread your net, there can only be a limited number of schools which are practical transport-wise, so it might be a case of calling them individually.

BTCmum Tue 15-Jan-13 13:15:10

I am a long-time lurker but a first-time poster so apologies for any glaring errors. I have a reasonably academic but not superbright DS who will move at 13 from his prep school in SW London. He is currently in Year 6 so we have already missed our chance to go anywhere that pre-tests at 11 and cost dictates that he will go to a London day school next (unless we can find a reasonably-priced boarding school!). He is not athletically gifted but enjoys playing football (badly) and cricket but loathes rugby with a passion. I am therefore focusing on trying to find next schools which either do not play rugby or where the boys can choose which sports they play. So far, I have identified:
- Alleyns which does not play rugby at all (but tough and small entry at 13)
- Dulwich College (where the boy who showed me round seemed to think you did not have to play rugby and could choose your sports - is anybody able to confirm that?)
- Kingston Grammar, I think although website not entirely clear
- Royal Russell, Croydon (which I had never heard of until recently)
Does anybody know of any other schools accessible from SW London (via Clapham Junction or school buses etc) that I should be considering? Is rugby compulsory for instance at Trinity, Croydon?

The school websites all tend to talk about their wide-range of sports but it is not always clear when there is an element of choice and when it is compulsory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now