The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013

(1000 Posts)
hardboiled Mon 14-Jan-13 11:37:55

I thought I would start this tradition once again while we all wait? DS only sat Trinity...

Somelikeithott Sat 16-Feb-13 16:37:22

Well done racegirl.

WRT to waiting list, I think there is a much greater chance with 11+ than 10+, having said that it is not unknown for both schools to have gone into wait list even at 10+.

Has anyone actually contacted any of the schools to accept or turn down an offer?

racegirl87 Sat 16-Feb-13 16:24:14

Got our bursary award amount through today and it means my ds will be a 10+ at T in September grin
Thank you again to all the parents who have shared their knowledge and sense on this thread. Can't quite believe it's happening so all the best of luck to everyone in whatever school you eventually send your ds to. Happy half term all. X

hardboiled Sat 16-Feb-13 16:19:36

Burnt - I will pm you.

therugratref Sat 16-Feb-13 15:52:32

That's true! Name change coming up grin

Kylep Sat 16-Feb-13 15:49:38

Burnt -We got offer from w with over 35% both academic and sports

burntoutdad Sat 16-Feb-13 14:41:42

Rugratref - we will know who u are now as there cant be many twins starting in sept!

burntoutdad Sat 16-Feb-13 14:39:36

Those with scholarship offers - does your letter state wether sports or academic or all rounder? Any have over 20% if u dont mind my asking?
Btw now DS has attitude telling me he is a 'whitgiftian' now so should get special treatment . I told him he isnt yet and as much as we are proud of him, he may need to work harder around the house wink.

burntoutdad Sat 16-Feb-13 14:32:35

Kylep - turning down offer from W doesnt mean that it goes to waiting list. They over offer for eventuallites like yours and only if they cant fill the 60 spaces with say 120 offers will they go to waiting list.

Kylep Sat 16-Feb-13 14:09:34

My ds has decided on trinity for 10+ so that's another opening for Whitgift, for all on waiting lists trinity seems to be suited to his personality

therugratref Sat 16-Feb-13 12:42:45

Well our decision is made. The DTwins will be starting at Whitgift 10 plus in September. We got a big fat no from Emanuel which was 1st choice.

AspiringMissMarple Sat 16-Feb-13 10:51:48

Belated congratulations and commiserations! This thread has almost ran its course at 989 as I am typing. Thanks you all for sharing useful info along the way, entertaining the troops and feeding angst too!
Wanted to share a beautiful moment when I asked DS this morning what he had dreamt about last night, he replied... "the dream was set in the future, at Trinity, (he) was in 6th form, had a girlfriend and was giving a lift to (his) friends in (his) Mini Cooper." So he/we have made up our mind.

If you are on the waiting at W for 10+, we won't be accepting the offer so that's good news for another DS...

notyetinthetrees Sat 16-Feb-13 08:56:58

Thank you FatelFlowerGarden and NotADragonOfSoup,

You are the voices of common sense and I needed to hear your sensible words!

Will now pull myself together and carry on with the job in hand!

Wonder what time those poor admissions people get in....

As Fatal says, 11+ wait lists will a lot of movement. Not only will a large number of boys have had multiple offers yesterday. the majority will also have say for local grammars and the results for those aren't out for another few weeks.

FatalFlowerGarden Sat 16-Feb-13 08:17:59

There is a lot of movement at 11+ - lots of boys will be holding offers for at least one other school, so all is not lost if you're on the waiting list!

Have just emailed the Admissions Office, asking for a review of our offer. Couldn't sleep last night for thinking about it. Ds seems fine, thank god, but I feel terrible, knackered and stomach-churny! Let's just hope they're working this Saturday (surely they must be, the day after offer letters?!)

Of course I always knew that this scenario was a possibility but, god, it feels bad when you're in it...

I hope everyone else got a good night's sleep - well done again to all. We have some amazing boys, don't we? grin

notyetinthetrees Sat 16-Feb-13 08:13:10

DS been put on the waiting list for W. Anyone know how this works?

Anyone know of anyone who was wait listed last year (11+) and then got in? If they got in, did they fare OK? (not bottom of every class?)

Are waiting list simply a way to prolong the agony and sense of failure for DS, if they never get in I mean?

Somelikeithott Sat 16-Feb-13 07:05:02

Well said yummymum!

nothingyummymum Fri 15-Feb-13 23:12:20

A big fat well done to all DSs and their parents who had the courage to sit these exams and go through the emotional roller coaster. The boys were probably separated by a few points - whether between scholarships or offers or no offers. I would imagine the standard has been incredibly high, so they have all done really well to get this far. DS got offers from the two schools he applied to, W and Caterham. No scholarship, so we'll have to do some math. But he has exceeded all expectations and for now, we are celebrating what we think is a remarkable achievement. To everyone with bad news... They are only 10/11 years old. Good news today does not guarantee success, but supportive and loving parents do go a long way towards it.

PopcornPizza Fri 15-Feb-13 21:48:12

Just about feet on ground now after a good run! Sincere congratulations to all with news to celebrate, so sorry for those who are disappointed.
Re decisions: we really like both schools but felt so at home at T it's likely DS will end up there. Will let the news sink in for a few days and then see which seems right.

Croydonmumtods Fri 15-Feb-13 21:40:48

burtntoutdad excellent news - well done to your ds. Glad you can now really enjoy your holiday.

Somelikeithott Fri 15-Feb-13 21:38:29

Well done to your DS, burntoutdad, been looking out for your news, now you can have an absolutely fab holiday.

burntoutdad Fri 15-Feb-13 21:19:44

Congrats to those DS with offers and heartfelt Commiserations to all those without.
We called this morning and got our news, email followed about 10 mins later. DS has a place with scholarship, still a lot left to pay but we are over the moon. He was overjoyed!

Somelikeithott Fri 15-Feb-13 20:59:03

Suz, well done, good on you. It's so good to be tenacious and I really believe no matter what happens our DSs will be okay, because they have parents who will go the extra lengths for them.

Congratulations and hope the good news keep coming. Inneedofwine, sorry it's not the news you want... Do you know where you are on the list? You never know, it may still happen this year. If not then you have a head start for 11+. Well done to your DS, I'm sure you are proud of him.

Inneedofwine Fri 15-Feb-13 19:50:35

hardboiled just pm'd you. Hope you don't mind.

FatalFlowerGarden Fri 15-Feb-13 19:29:33

So, T have sent incorrect bursary amounts on TWO letters?! (goldfishmum and suz). What is going on?

Inneedofwine Fri 15-Feb-13 19:20:52

Congratulations to to those with good news and commiserations to those with bad. I've just got home to thin envelope from T. DS is on reserve list for 10+. Can't say I'm overly disappointed though as we'd already decided that 11+ would be a better time for him (and us financially) so hey ho...

Just got to go through it all again next year now. Oh the joy sad

This thread is not accepting new messages.