The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013

(1000 Posts)
hardboiled Mon 14-Jan-13 11:37:55

I thought I would start this tradition once again while we all wait? DS only sat Trinity...

Kylep Sat 19-Jan-13 14:14:36

Indeedofwine that's great he defo passed the exam so good luck for Tuesday, only if my ds thinks he's made it but brought him back to reality !!! U still need to do well in interview I think that might let him down :-(((

Seeline Sat 19-Jan-13 15:54:07

hardboiled my DS took in a trophy he had won at cub camp. Gave him a chance to show he had hobbies, was good at something, and a whole range of topics to chat about including what he had done at cubs/camp etc. TBH I don't think they used it much. I know he also talked about a book he had read recently and enjoyed, and why he wanted to go to T.

kimalima Sat 19-Jan-13 17:13:07

Just had T call. Interview next Saturday. They still have lots to call. I did ask so I could key you all know.

Trashpack Sat 19-Jan-13 17:34:40

That's great news kimalima, good luck for next Saturday.

burntoutdad Sat 19-Jan-13 18:38:06

Anyone else with a sports assessment day at W on Monday? Looks like itll be freezing for outside sports!

FatalFlowerGarden Sat 19-Jan-13 18:41:59

Well done kima and best of luck!

FatalFlowerGarden Sat 19-Jan-13 18:44:20

Still waiting for news here. I know theres still time but...uuuurgh getting bored of waiting!

On a brighter note, my dp found out last night that he has his pgce place so that did bring a bit of cheer!

Trashpack Sat 19-Jan-13 19:08:45

Great news FatalFlower, really pleased for your dp. Now, lets hope both of us get more good news next week!

kimalima Sat 19-Jan-13 19:17:50

Fatalflower that's great news. More to follow I'm sure!

stresscity Sat 19-Jan-13 21:49:55

Well done Inneedofwine and Kima! Great news. Yes, they interview all who pass. For example last year my ds sat 11+ T and passed along with 200 others out of the500 that sat the exam. All 200 were interviewed but only 80got a place. Mine was one of the 120 that didn't make it. We got as far as 3rd on the waiting list.- so near but yet so far :-(

stresscity Sat 19-Jan-13 21:51:34

Hang on in there fatalflowergarden! good news re your dp though!

Somelikeithott Sun 20-Jan-13 16:30:22

Burnoutdad, yes we are. Congratulations to everyone with more good news. Those waiting good luck....

Fatalflowergarden well done to your dp, and fingers crossed as you await further good news.

JohnnyT Sun 20-Jan-13 18:43:06

Pardon the ignorance - I'm still learning how the system works. While everyone who passes gets an interview, how many offers do you all think either W or T give per spot in the incoming year? 1.5? My DS who absolutely loves W had several classmates sit the W exam and get interviews but probably list W behind some other schools in preference (though I'm sure they coached their DS's to fudge the answer.) It's out of our hands but I'm still curious.

Inneedofwine Sun 20-Jan-13 21:08:20

Thanks Kylep. I 'm worried about the interview too. I just hope my DS opens his mouth and speaks!!

Stresscity -what a nightmare! So hope your DS gets a place this year. Where did he end up going?

racegirl87 Sun 20-Jan-13 23:05:57

Hello.

Brand new to this and so glad to find this thread. DS has interview with T for 10+ on Saturday. I am very naive and unaware of the whole process and what is expected/the done thing. Never been involved in any private school affairs as he goes to a state school and hasn't got any friends who have done the exam and neither of us know anyone who goes there or to any other selective school.

Does anyone know how many sat the exam or how many are asked for interviews? Also do they offer 45 places? I can't remember as I put it all out of my head when DS emerged from the exam saying he didn't finish either maths or VR.

Really shocked to get interview (probably shouting "What? Really?" at the nice lady who rang to tell me wasn't the best response) but it may also show how little I know about these things!

Any advice or knowledge that I can glean to help prepare DS for (unexpected) interview would be very much appreciated.

Very best of luck to all of your DS's who are in the same boat.

xx

Seeline Mon 21-Jan-13 08:06:58

Hi Racegirl - that was us last year!!
DS had interviews for 10+ at both T and W which was totally unexpected. At T it really did seem to be a bit of a chat. As I've said earlier he tool along a cub trophy to talk about as it had potential to spark off several lines of chat! I don't think he spent long on it. He also talked about a book he'd read, why T and what he liked about the school. I don't think he had anything academic, although I think others may have done.
As far as I know they offered more than the 45 places as some receive more than one offer so turn down places. There are currently 44 in DS year I think.

I'd accidentally hidden this thread blush

The "thing" they need to take into Trinity isn't very important - it can be anything. It's just a conversation starter. DS1 took in a balloon powered car he had made and DS2 took in some info on Geocaching and a tupperware box. Others have taken in photos of sporting activities etc. Anything your DS can talk about with enthusiasm really.

With DS2, one of the teachers (whose name escapes me!) said "We've not had anyone bring any live animals in so far this year

stresscity just noticed you're doing it all again this year! Fingers crossed!

racegirl87 Mon 21-Jan-13 12:40:46

Thanks seeline
I think he's going to take some drawings for a level of a game he's working on. And his kindle to chat about his latest book.
Do you know if they would tell you if your ds is being considered for academic scholarship if you asked? It's quite a big factor for us.
Just going to stay chilled and hope that they will choose the children who are best suited to T and if that's my ds, then great. If not, then I guess he shouldn't be there. He loves his current primary school so either way he'll be happy. Thanks for the advice.

Seeline Mon 21-Jan-13 12:47:12

Sorry - don't know that Racegirl. We also had an interview at W where the parents were interviewed too, so the opportunity would have arisen there. At T the boys are taken off to be interviewed whilst all the parents stay in another room to have coffee. THe HT is around to chat to but not really the opportunity to raise such a matter. You could try ringing and see what they say smile

Do you know if they would tell you if your ds is being considered for academic scholarship if you asked? It's quite a big factor for us

I never asked. I don't recall Trinity telling me - the Headmaster said DS1 had done very well but I can't remember if he mentioned scholarship. Whitgift did mention it without being asked.

Obviously you find out at offer time and all offers come out at the same time so it shouldn't have an impact on your decision if you find out then.

I think they'd tell you if you ask (the headmaster). I negotiated an academic scholarship for DS2 and the headmaster was very forthcoming about his exam results when spoke to him over the phone.

Goldfish678mum Mon 21-Jan-13 13:19:30

Hi all. I'm new to this site, but have been following it since my ds took the T exam last Saturday. Thought all was lost until I received the post this morning inviting my ds to the sports scholarship assessment tomorrow!!! Hope a few more of u received good news in the post this morning. Haven't heard about an interview yet thou!! I'll ask at the school tomorrow.

burntoutdad Mon 21-Jan-13 16:32:29

Just come back from sports test at W with DS and DS friend. Hard really to glean any information from them but they said they saw the coaches marking each boy against a sport with either an S or a Y. Not sure what S or Y means but apparently the boys were called over when they had done well and were asked for their name and marked with an S, not so well with a Y and all others left blank???
Does anyone have a clue what this could mean?

It could be Y for Yes, S for Second (they do a second day of recalls for Trinity sports) and blank for no?

Or that could be nonsense grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.