The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013

(1000 Posts)
hardboiled Mon 14-Jan-13 11:37:55

I thought I would start this tradition once again while we all wait? DS only sat Trinity...

Somelikeithott Mon 28-Jan-13 11:07:57

Sounds very positive. Well done to your DS.

I remember that welling up with pride feeling smile

Trashpack Mon 28-Jan-13 12:28:52

Fatal, you're so sweet to think of me, thank you. My heart is breaking for my ds, who is still pretending he's not bothered by it, but I know him better than that.

I'm hanging in there, but to be the last person on this thread who hasn't heard anything, I have to say - its pretty difficult to maintain the positivity. I would have thought that at this late stage, it's very unlikely he'll be called for interview.

But on a lighter note, wishing SO much luck to everyone having interviews all this week. I'm sure you'll all do really well. I will check in again nearer the 15th Feb for good news reports x

Somelikeithott Mon 28-Jan-13 13:21:29

Trashpack, can't remember, are you waiting on T or W? T sent ejection letters out a while ago, so that hopefully definitely ( if I can say that), translates into a no news is good news so far. Keeping fingers crossed for you & DS

burntoutdad Mon 28-Jan-13 13:34:55

Trashpack - Can you hear the fat lady singing? No? Well then hold on, a little longer then you'll know for sure. Fingers crossed!

Trashpack Mon 28-Jan-13 13:37:40

somelikeithott thanks for the positive thinking...we are waiting for W only.

Trashpack Mon 28-Jan-13 13:40:44

Haha burnt!! No, you're right-I can't hear her singing...but I think she's warming her voice up!
Glad it all went well for you today.

kimalima Mon 28-Jan-13 13:54:35

Trashpack have you called the school? I'm sure it couldn't hurt.

hardboiled Mon 28-Jan-13 13:57:14

Trashpack, calling would not harm in any way...I keep thinking of Fatal's letter lost on the stairs somewhere...If the fat lady stays silent, you should check nothing happened to the letter...?

Somelikeithott Mon 28-Jan-13 14:27:36

I think calling is a good idea. ( easy for us to say, I know!). Go on trashpack, you've got us all on here backing you up ( albeit, cyber backing!!!).

But seriously, if that was me I couldn't take the suspense any longer !!

Trashpack Mon 28-Jan-13 14:28:14

kima and hardboiled, I just called the school. Spoke to a very nice lady. Incredibly, W are still phoning boys for interviews. But she explained the process in more depth.

800 boys took the exam (across all the ages ranges) and there is no specific pass mark. It sounds like they do standardised marking - if lots of boys do well, that pushes the standard higher.

The teachers will now go through ALL the applications and results again, in case someone was missed/borderline first time round. And then there will be more phone calls/letters.

So, I thought the cut off date was the 30th, but in fact there isn't really any cut off date, which I find reassuring. I can't remember who said it, but I did read on this thread about a boy who was called after 3 weeks, interviewed and was offered a place...so, fingers crossed. This happened a couple of years ago I think. If ds is not successful, we will hear before the 14th Feb.

So, I'm feeling more positive now...the fat lady has gone for a nap wink

Somelikeithott Mon 28-Jan-13 14:45:25

Good, and hope the fat lady stays asleep until the 15th of Feb.

FatalFlowerGarden Mon 28-Jan-13 14:58:02

Trashpack that is really good news - and good on you for phoning! The waiting is agony but we're all rooting for each other; hang on in there.

Mum4School Mon 28-Jan-13 15:20:28

Trashpack: you are not alone! We're also waiting to hear back from W.

Called W this morning, and they told me that not all letters/calls for interviews are out yet. So there's still hope. And if we don't hear by this Friday, they suggested to call again then.

Meanwhile, we had a lovely peacock roast for lunch yesterday at our house, which helped diffuse the tension. A bit hard, but ultimately delicious. Let me know if you need the recipe! wink

burntoutdad Mon 28-Jan-13 15:34:07

Trashpack - that was me. The parents had given up hope and then a phone call out of the blue 3 weeks later! So keep chin upsmile

Trashpack Mon 28-Jan-13 16:11:21

Thank you burnt, I couldn't recall who had mentioned it. That's really encouraging. And good news to hear that I'm not alone in my quest Mum4School!

Thanks for all the support-it's amazing that people I've never met can be so kind & friendly. I could be right next to one of you at the till in Sainsburys and I wouldn't even know it! x

burntoutdad Mon 28-Jan-13 16:50:50

Trash - check for bitten fingernails, clumps of hair pulled out, bags under eyes, paying at tills with bags of saved penny's - that'll be a prospective W or T parent waiting for all this to end grin

Trashpack Mon 28-Jan-13 17:19:01

Sorry, my post sounded like I work at the till in Sainsbury's, I don't....but what I meant was I could pass any one of you in the high street, at the GP's, Pizza Express, anywhere at all and I wouldn't know any of you....yet, here we find solace amongst like-minded parents.

But burnt you're right about the bitten finger nail, hair clumps etc!

Somelikeithott Mon 28-Jan-13 18:12:28

Funny, I was thinking earlier we've probably seen each other on the days of T & W exams! May even have spoken to someone on here.....

Bedgers Mon 28-Jan-13 19:38:47

Trashpack, i finally emailed W today and got a response that they are still in the process of plotting interviews at the moment. So I still dont know if my son is a no or yes. You are not alone!

burntoutdad Mon 28-Jan-13 19:59:00

Anyone else here have interviews today?

stresscity Mon 28-Jan-13 21:32:04

Fatal Major congrats phew! Racegirl thanks for that, my ds interview is at 2.30 tomorrow. Hope tomorrows postie bring something for you bedgers , mum4school and trash pack and anyone else I've missed. I'm off to have too much wine to help me sleep tonight. My ds needless to say is sleeping like a baby. How do they do that!! Lol

FarmerBarleymow Mon 28-Jan-13 22:17:58

Evening everyone. This brings back all memories from last year when my DS sat 10+ at T and W. these threads are so interesting and helpful as it seems that both schools have a tried and tested formula for dealing with parents and boys alike that little changes from year to year. We had initially opted for W as first choice as we knew little about T, but after visiting T we were convinced that T was the right place for him. I remember Soup's posts last year and was so envious that, as far as her DS1 was concerned, he had secured his place and so knew what to expect for DS2. I can say that in the end we had the best outcome....offers from both and so accepted T. DS finds the day long and our worries that he would find the jump a huge one, having come from a state school, were unnecessary. He hasn't looked back and the school continues to impress us. God luck to all of you and your boys and I hope the best school finds them!

wjchoihk Mon 28-Jan-13 22:18:16

Hi. My son had W 13+ interview today. This is second try for us. Same interviewer with last year but I am trying not to feel too much positive about what they say at interview. We are non-brit and last year we were verbally given a place (with extremely good math and extremely poor english) but only waitlisted after all. So devastating back then. Today interviewer seemed to try to stay cool, which might be a good sign. No... I am already starting to look for a good excuse to be overly hopeful.... by no means not to ruin your moods but watch out. W tends to imply too positively....

FarmerBarleymow Mon 28-Jan-13 22:18:38

Whoops...GOOD luck!

This thread is not accepting new messages.