Y11 parents - what are your DCs plans for this summer?

(17 Posts)
twentyten Tue 08-Jan-13 07:30:19

My dd(15) helped out at her piano teacher's music shop on a voluntary basis-and helped her run a summer school for primary children-helped her confidence a lot.She did it for D of E but are there any places she could try?

JustinMumsnot Tue 08-Jan-13 00:13:23

Creamteas - thanks. There is a songwriting course on there which looks ideal for her.

creamteas Mon 07-Jan-13 22:51:42

Don't know whether it will turn up anything useful but you could try searching on this: summer schools

JustinMumsnot Mon 07-Jan-13 19:33:36

I'm beginning to hate where we live. No job for me and nothing for teenagers to do. We may have to move in time for September anyway if I can't find a job soon.

JustinMumsnot Mon 07-Jan-13 19:32:07

Sparrows - there is one local theatre. I could ask.

JustinMumsnot Mon 07-Jan-13 19:31:17

Not that I am aware of Circular. It is unfair, isn't it?

Creamteas - US a bit out of budget sadly.

circular Mon 07-Jan-13 19:17:46

Do any music schools near you run summer courses for younger ones that she could help out at?

Our DD1 also August born yr11. Finding it very unfair that many of the work experience options for 16+ don't just include whole of school year.

creamteas Mon 07-Jan-13 18:22:13

What's your budget? There are lots of summer schools in the US that might be good if you can afford it grin

Sparrows12 Mon 07-Jan-13 18:16:07

Has she approached any of the local theatres? My y11 helps out with eg programme selling, leafleting, back stage, cleaning etc and has been doing it since her 15th birthday. They bit her arm off.

JustinMumsnot Mon 07-Jan-13 17:45:36

Bruffin - I like the sound of that but I don't think she would do it because the first week (active adventure stuff) would put her off.
She could certainly help at my Brownie pack (and often does so) but it isn't enough to keep her occupied. I am looking at stuff like the Rock School but there is very little where we live (isolated rural area) so it would need to be residential.

If she can do something with complete strangers, she may find she gets a chance to start again with a clean slate.
That is it, exactly!

bruffin Mon 07-Jan-13 17:05:11

what about this

My ds was looking at it last year in yr11, but it clashed with something else. Ignore the date on there as it was for last year and I am sure it is 17 by august 2014 as it is aimed at those in year 11 to give them something to do after gcse. Not sure if this years one has been launched yet.

twoterrors Mon 07-Jan-13 17:01:24

I haven't got many specific suggestions but did want to say your poor old dd, things will get better when she catches up with herself in a few years I am sure. Lots of teenagers are not as comfortable in their own skins as they seem I think. She may find they are more prepared to admit in when a little older.

The not turning 16 till August means you will need very specific suggestions I fear - organisations are inflexible on this IME.

There are music courses that take all ages, and the YHA does Do it for Real courses for 10-19 year olds - I don't know what they are like. There is a London based thing called something to do with the debate something that runs academic courses for older teens.

If she can do something with complete strangers, she may find she gets a chance to start again with a clean slate.

Really good luck to her. It will get better!

titchy Mon 07-Jan-13 16:20:41

June and July will still brownies and cubs running - could she help at those? Duke of Edinburgh type things? Pgl type holiday(not all are outdoorsy)? Help at holiday camp once she's 16? Work in supermarket?summer Music course?

Luvvies Mon 07-Jan-13 16:16:00
JustinMumsnot Mon 07-Jan-13 15:52:02

She would do voluntary work but she doesn't turn 16 till August and that limits what she is allowed to do - particularly looking for stuff she can do June/July when exams are finished and she is still 15. It's the same with a lot of courses. But she is far older than her age emotionally and intellectually.

Leeds2 Mon 07-Jan-13 15:39:25

Would she do voluntary work of some description? We have an organisation near us which recruits teens (16+) to help out at holiday camps for disabled children, which look quite good fun for everyone! Your DD's music skills might come in useful for something like that.

Our library also recruits teens to hear primary school children read, but it doesn't look the most exciting opportunity when I've seen it in action. If you're stuck though, anything is better than nothing!

JustinMumsnot Mon 07-Jan-13 15:22:21

DD1 and I were talking about this last night. She is miserable right now, hates school and has no friends (apart from one who is ill and probably won't return to school this year sad). She is basically a 23-year-old trapped in the body of a 15-year-old if that makes sense and really struggles socially. (Imagine a 15 year old female Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory and you have her). School is grim for her right now - everyone else seems to be going to parties (and getting pissed and doing drugs) and she is not ever invited to anything.
The worst thing for her would be to spend the extra long summer moping about at home. I've been looking around online trying to find some something for her to do that she will like: film-making or music or something creative or perhaps voluntary work. She will not do sports or anything hearty or outdoory at all but she is a talented musician and songwriter. I'd love her to have something to look forward to at the end of the long slog to GCSEs and I feel she needs to develop her social skills too before sixth form. Anyone else got any bright ideas I can steal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now