Jan GCSE modules

(87 Posts)
creamteas Sat 05-Jan-13 18:35:50

Anyone else have DC with January modules? How is the revision going? My DD has 4 papers (English Lang & 3 Science).

The science is not a problem, has always achieved As, so no worries there. But but the English is a real worry. As she is ASD she really struggles with interpretation and imagination.

It is not helped by the fact that it is not really possible to have any certainly about where the grade boundaries are anymore.....

bruffin England Mon 07-Jan-13 06:07:51

Thanks
Ds confirmed he hasnt any modules for phylosophy and wont have exam until june.

IDontKnowWhereMyMedalsAre Mon 07-Jan-13 14:27:29

Lol. That's what ds said was probably the case when I asked him what exam board this morning.

creamteas Wed 09-Jan-13 22:18:20

So how is it all going? DD's first paper is tomorrow morning, although if last year is anything to go by, I won't get any insights into how it went grin

bruffin England Wed 09-Jan-13 22:43:20

Ds is stressed, didnt sleep until 4 this morning, so let him stay home and he did more practice papers, which seemed to go ok.

creamteas Wed 09-Jan-13 22:49:35

bruffin I hope he, and you, get some sleep tonight....

webwiz Wed 09-Jan-13 23:17:42

DS has English language tomorrow and I asked him whether the exam was in the morning or the afternoon. He said he didn't know but was just going to follow his friends when they went to the hall hmm

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 09-Jan-13 23:18:44

Yes, dd has English language tomorrow too: she is ok with that one as it's more her thing, but physics next week may be a worry.

boschy Thu 10-Jan-13 09:16:21

DD1 doing English lang this morning - 9.00 kick off. She got a D last time round, so we are hoping to reach a C this time... She seemed pretty calm and in control anyway despite a minor kerfuffle about losing her ear plugs this morning.

then a maths paper tomorrow and one next week - anyone else got those?
good luck to them all!

hellsbells99 Thu 10-Jan-13 09:39:45

DD has English gcse module this morning. Also gets her maths retake results I think. Then 3 science exams in 2 weeks time. I have butterflies!

Mrsrudolphduvall Thu 10-Jan-13 10:55:38

Yes English this morning for dd, maths and pe results this afternoon.
She has been so calm( has ocd and we have had running away over exams in the past)
Fingers crossed.

JustinMumsnot Thu 10-Jan-13 10:59:46

DD has Eng Lit and a couple of Science modules this month. She has been revising over Christmas but is very stressed. Still has various mocks going on too which doesn't help.

creamteas Thu 10-Jan-13 18:02:44

Did anyone get any feedback on the English Lang paper this morning. All I got was a 'dunno' confused

webwiz Thu 10-Jan-13 18:13:36

DS gave me a detailed run down of all the questions and what he wrote including what he would he would have written if he hadn't have run out of time so I think he was generally happy with it but could have done with another 15 mins. He said it was easier than last summer's paper (he took it in year 10)

creamteas Thu 10-Jan-13 18:43:55

Webwiz glad your DS was happy, which paper was it? My DD was sitting AQA foundation. She only managed an E in the mock before Christmas, so not sure there has been enough time to pull it up.

She will be taking it again in the summer anyway, but it would good to see something better (not that they are giving grades out, so we won't really know)

webwiz Thu 10-Jan-13 18:58:20

It was the AQA higher.

mindgone Fri 11-Jan-13 00:04:05

We have triple science in two weeks and A2 exams and AS resits in the next two weeks in this house! A bit stressy! Think I will bake, that should help! smile

ravenAK Fri 11-Jan-13 00:10:00

I've seen the AQA Eng Lang paper (my students sat it today).

Seen worse.

The devil's in where they draw the boundaries - persistent mutterings coming out of AQA that they're being raised again, which, if it happens, will hit the top end of Foundation hard, ie. the C/D border. Again.

But yeah, the papers themselves were quite fair.

KatyMac Fri 11-Jan-13 00:16:25

DD had 2 controlled assessments today & was sent home before they started s she was so poorly

I think I am grateful she can try when she is better (but I think she would have rather got them over with)

mummytime Belgium Fri 11-Jan-13 00:29:30

Bad news for my DS then Raven, third time he's sat this paper. Apparently the head of Sixth form has a cunning plan if they don't pass this time, not sure what this means. Now on to ASs etc.

boschy Fri 11-Jan-13 09:29:04

my DD was not that impressed by yesterday's Eng Lang, which I think was AQA, but she seemed ok about it. she said it was confusing, the layout was different than she expected? but she is dyslexic, and she likes things to look the same.

maths today, o god, she got a G in the summer (I didnt know you could get a G!)

mummytime Belgium Fri 11-Jan-13 10:49:31

My dyslexic son said none of his friends answered question 4 (I think it was 4), I'm not sure if this was a problem just for Dyslexic/ASD students.

boschy Fri 11-Jan-13 13:48:36

I dont know mummy, I will ask her! hope your DD is better katy

bruffin England Fri 11-Jan-13 16:25:14

Hopefully they all did as well as they could. DS got caught up with the English AQA debacle last year and was offered a resit, but he decided not to go for it and concentrate on A levels.

DS took his physics AS today. He has done 14 previous papers in the last few weeks plus 2 more this morning and he rang me up really pleased because a lot of the same questions came up. Just hope he isnt being over confident. Gets the results march 7th i think. Maths in two weeks time now.

creamteas Fri 11-Jan-13 18:07:42

My DD is a borderline D/C so if AQA raises the bar again, it won't go well sad

Nothing next week, then four papers the week after. One for each of the sciences and Geog.

Looking at schedule, it will be controlled assessments from then till the summer....

Mrsrobertduvall Sat 12-Jan-13 13:59:03

Dd got D for maths, which is a pain.
And failed her PE mock...also isn't happy with the English language paper.
Lots of tears and low self esteem last night, together with a sudden heavy period.
Poor girl sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now