GCSE Art

(27 Posts)
kilmuir Tue 18-Dec-12 11:14:57

whats it like? My eldest DD is very creativeand is looking at choosing options next term. How does it differ from graphic design.
We are new to all this and in my day it was home economics and woodwork!

orangeandemons Tue 18-Jun-13 18:25:56

I teach both Art and Dt Textiles and Dt Graphics. Do not mix them up. They are totally different, and if someone chose Dt Graphics, there is an A Level in it. They qualify you for different things, Art is good for Architecture and Fine Art, Dt is good for Design jobs.

If you look at your ds's end of Ks3 Art level, it would work like this. Level 5 would mean she would project to a C at GCSE, 6=b 7=a 8=A*. The course is 60 % coursework, and 40% controlled exam. This is unlikely to change under Gove, so coursework will probably continue

mumslife Tue 18-Jun-13 19:14:22

My daughter did both art and textiles at gcse and there is loads of work for both. Neither are a soft option but art finishes by march of year 11textiles istwo pieces and acompanying course work folder and a twohour written exam. My daughter had a very poor art teacher whom i willbe complaini g about. She wants to do it for a level but as she has virtually done gcse without ateacher will see what grade she gets. She managed to fit both these subjects in alongside lots of academic subjects all three humanities for example. Unusually she is quite academic and creative

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now