How much homework do your dcs do on the computer?

(30 Posts)
breadandbutterfly Sun 16-Dec-12 18:47:28

Just wondering, as my dd claims a lot of her homework is on the PC - which i suspect is not true (or unimaginative on her part). For example, French - she does revision online, uses google translate (to my horror and her detriment) and would not dream of using a real dictionary when an online one is there at the click of a mouse...

Do others find this a problem, too? Or is it actually a problem - am i just being old-fashioned here and should I just assume this is the new normal?

tiggytape Thu 20-Dec-12 14:10:29

Most of it is done on the computer - either online resources that require a login so the teacher can see the questions have been answered or presentations done from scratch in PowerPoint, Word and Publisher.
The computer DS uses is downstairs and the screen in full view so he can't really get away with much.
Some homework is done on paper but I'd say 85% requires a computer.

Startail Thu 20-Dec-12 23:12:24

The problem is not so much computers as the fact that schools don't teach them to proof.

They are just not taught to read things through.

DD2 is very good at writing, but even she rushes sometimes and hands in rubbish, hand written as well as typed. Trouble is the teachers don't seem to pull her up on it and she gets very huffy if I do.

Dancergirl Thu 20-Dec-12 23:18:34

None!

Dd (year 7, girls' school) mainly has written work done in an excercise book. Is this unusual now? I think only once this term she had to print out some pictures for art but everything was written.

Dancergirl Thu 20-Dec-12 23:21:57

Languages - dd does French and Spanish - she has a dictionary for each as recommended by the school. I've never heard of Google translate!

OP- doesn't she have a textbook for French? I bet if you check with the school, they would deny such a large amount needs to be done on the computer.

pinkybat877 Mon 07-Jan-13 15:44:26

My children are allowed 1 hour and a half on the computer after school each day (including homework). They usually don't use the full time for it. My DD (13) uses google translate to check over her work sometimes, but also has a dictionary for it. They have been given out some dictionaries to take home I believe. It can be used for good and bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now