another Kingsdale thread bites the dust

(178 Posts)
gingeroots Mon 10-Dec-12 16:00:19

So the whole thread has gone - positive comments ,queries ,critical comments .

Kind of makes posting on internet forums unattractive .

Any pretence of a space where comment and ideas can be exchanged blown .

SminkoPinko Mon 10-Dec-12 22:19:39

The New Year could start with a bit of a bang...

swhobbit Mon 10-Dec-12 23:26:12

I have made errors on this forum , i previously posted i thought there were approx 200 FTE teachers only to be proven incorrect. Although i am not sure recent 6th form has added numbers to last stats ?
However as a parent i can confirm Ofsted inspection was 5/12- 7/12. The initial results would be discussed with SMT at approx school closing time fri 6pm ish. My FE college that was recently inspected was given above info at 7pm , the staff were nowhere in the building as have homes to go to.
We were not informed on the monday & waited for the results as stakeholders had to.
Ditto with same info that i believe Kingsdale has had;
This is a a direct response to social media forums from the gov.
Government inspections should remain within the domain of inspection and results dully published without prejuidice.
It is not in the interest for any parent/child/guardian in a school/ FE /HE to be able to access positive/negative comments of any format in any forum that is not regulated by both sides of the debate ?

swhobbit Mon 10-Dec-12 23:35:09

And yes before ask .. I do work for the Gov , sadly not M1 ... but Civil Service..... .yawn

Lowlands Mon 10-Dec-12 23:54:37

Without meaning to be picky SWHobbit, the inspection was 2 days long it was the 5th and 6th December. The teachers could have therefore been told on the Friday 7th. Instead they were told that they would not know for a couple of weeks.

Mutteroo Tue 11-Dec-12 02:06:41

An Ofsted working day = a school working day and so holiday days will not be included. The HT/chair of governors will know roughly what will be contained within the report as the lead Ofsted inspector meets with them at the end of the inspection.

Ex chair of Govs speaking here - NOT from the school mentioned. I have no connection whatsoever and am just stating some background facts for all reading this thread. I will add that I am fully aware of the guts it takes to whistle blow. I was a governor at a school where the teachers revolted just before an Ofsted. Three teachers came to me & I told them to do what they considered to be the right thing, but suggested they speak to their union as I was worried that their careers could be compromised if claims were unfounded. In the end no one said a word, Ofsted knew none of the massive issues and we governors who remained (4 resigned but were useless anyway), worked our socks off to resolve the problems as best we could.

I hope this thread remains & while I agree with the MN who expressed concern at gossip, the exam cheating question is a worry at other schools & it needs to be addressed somehow!

Laysy89 Tue 11-Dec-12 08:26:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AfterEightMintyy Wed 12-Dec-12 21:08:12

At risk of stirring anything up again, I just wanted to ask if anyone knows in general what is happening with the appeal re. gcse results and when all schools will be able to post their definitive results?

delphie Wed 12-Dec-12 22:15:41

I have to say I was surprised the last thread lasted so long. I would be interesting to see an analysis of the deleted messages - might give us an idea of what particularly excites the censors

gingeroots Wed 12-Dec-12 22:43:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AfterEightMintyy Wed 12-Dec-12 22:47:45

Yes, agreed, it is a real shame that prh's post went with the thread because I don't think I have ever seen libel explained so clearly before.

creamteas Wed 12-Dec-12 23:20:50

blindworm Wed 12-Dec-12 23:23:20

Or, creamteas, in the case of your post, simply that you find the regular disappearance of threads suspicious.

creamteas Wed 12-Dec-12 23:44:28

Blind watch out, you will go poof in a moment......

Blu Thu 13-Dec-12 10:43:31

Come on, you lot - I know you have the thread saved - could someone perhaps ask if prh47bridge's libel explanation could be copied and reproduced somewhere? Maybe on a seperate thread explaining libel? And if prh would be happy with that? I read it and it was really helpful, for lots of circumstances and contexts.

blindworm Thu 13-Dec-12 11:51:00

I have it saved, and would be happy to post it somewhere if someone lets me know where.

Blu Thu 13-Dec-12 12:52:26

e mail it to MNHQ?

PM prh47bridge and invite him to re-post it on a discrete thread?

Report the post you just made? (ha ha there is probably e Red Phone that goes off when a post is reported on a Kingsdale thread grin )

I do think it illuminates and informs posters in a way that can only make life for MNHQ simpler.

gingeroots Thu 13-Dec-12 13:10:29

blindworm can you repost it here ?

blindworm Thu 13-Dec-12 16:29:18

That post wasn't deleted individually either, so presumably wasn't libellous.
It read as thus:

prh47bridge - Does the confidentiality agreement contain a clause saying it only applies for 3 months? That would be unusual. Most confidentiality agreements do not have a time limit. That means posting confidential information would still be a breach of the agreement regardless of how much time has passed.
Regarding libel, if Kingsdale wanted to sue Mumsnet or one of the posters they would have to prove that the comments about which they complain:
- have been made to a third party
- refer to Kingsdale
- damage the school’s reputation
Any post made on this thread clearly meets the first two points leaving them to prove the third.
The defence of privilege does not apply so there are two other defences available to Mumsnet and posters:
- justification
- fair comment
To argue justification you have to show that the allegations you are making are true. Mumsnet doesn't necessarily have the evidence required to achieve that and the evidence posters have may not be sufficient for the courts.
Fair comment applies where:
- the allegation is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact
- it is in the public interest that you be allowed to make the comment
So a review of a play that expresses the view that an actor's performance is wooden would generally class as fair comment. However, if you allege that the actor beats his wife that would not be fair comment even if you preface it with the words "THIS IS MY OPINION AND ONLY MY OPINION AND NOT A FACT ". It would certainly fail the first test as whether or not the actor beats his wife is a matter of fact, not a matter of opinion. Depending on where you make the comment it may also fail the public interest test.
Under UK law, Mumsnet cannot be sued successfully for libel provided they promptly remove any potentially libellous posts when requested. Given the potential costs it is clearly in Mumsnet's interests to be cautious. If I were them and were faced with a complaint of possible libel I would remove the offending post(s) unless it was completely clear, beyond any possible doubt, that they were fair comment or that I had the evidence to argue justification.

elizadoo Thu 13-Dec-12 22:37:21

Lowlands Thu 13-Dec-12 23:54:51

so far all of my posts have been removed, so let's see if this one does. In MY opinion elizadoo should speak to many people to get an answer to her question, my own opinion would be...wait if I give my opinion on here the school will have it deleted, but that is just my opinion. Is this post libellous?

blindworm Fri 14-Dec-12 00:31:17

Lowlands is right. People seem to have very strong opinions about Kingsdale, which is evident from threads on here alone. You need to speak to a variety of people, some happy and some not so happy in order to form an opinion. And whether Kingsdale will work for your child depends on your DD, as do all schools, so you need to find out a little about how things work there (rules and regulations etc, nothing sinister implied) before making a decision imo.

elizadoo Fri 14-Dec-12 01:18:43

Well all the children and parents I know seem to be happy with it... But I sometimes think when you're bought into a school system you stand by it because the alternative of finding youve made a bad choice is even worse to bear... It's the parents who have chosen not to send dc there who are more critical. I'll keep asking...
Thanks

AfterEightMintyy Fri 14-Dec-12 11:08:28

AfterEightMintyy Fri 14-Dec-12 17:27:10

Omg shock

Alonglongway Fri 14-Dec-12 18:16:06

Deleted for implying that negative posts are deleted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now