Can some please recommend non selective independant secondary schools in North West England or West/North Yorkshire

(11 Posts)
orangeberries Wed 19-Dec-12 15:10:16

There's also Queen Margaret's in Escrick, (near York) and Wakefield Girls' High School as an alternative to Silcoates, although the latter a little more academic than Silcoates (not a hothouse though by all accounts, quite big on art and sport too).

NessaYork Tue 18-Dec-12 22:18:02

My dd's are at The Mount. Outstanding pastoral care system - can not speak highly enough of it. Has the whole ethos of the quaker school as well (Obama's daughters are at a quaker school in Washington DC). We were sold on it when the girl taking us around the school tour told us 'I'm afraid there isn't enough time to tell you all the things I love about this school.' Does well academically (Oxbridge, etc) but more importantly it brings the full potential out of each girl. Unlike some other independent schools, it doesn't 'cull' the less academic students for the sake of league table results (happened to friends of mine elsewhere - shocking practice!), but does what you hope an independent school would do and tries to help each student do better than they would have if they gone to another school. The best thing is that the girls themselves are simply lovely and very down to earth. Hoping that all rubs off onto my dds!

Dustylaw Thu 06-Dec-12 01:35:37

I've heard good reports about Giggleswick.

Bunbaker Wed 05-Dec-12 22:49:38

I have heard good reports about Silcoates as well.

Ampleforth or The Mount. Both have excellent pastoral care and aim to develop children in all the areas they're interested in, not just academics. You need to be quite confident socially at Ampleforth but The Mount girls are extremely caring of each other regardless of social skills. I know a lot of children and parents at both schools. Bootham is also good but quite rowdy.

Leafmould Wed 05-Dec-12 22:33:52

Ackworth here

Loshad Wed 05-Dec-12 22:31:07

silcoates, near wakefield

rezzle Wed 05-Dec-12 20:20:23

Queen Mary's sounds like it fits the bill well, although it's worth noting that it doesn't have a sixth form.

Other schools in the area that could fit would be Giggleswick, Ashville in Harrogate, Ackworth near Pontefract and Bootham or The Mount in York.

Thankyou. That's exactly the kind of place im looking for from the website. Thanks so much.

Anyone else please.

Rosevase Wed 05-Dec-12 11:28:07

Queen Mary's in Thirsk would fit the bill completely. Loads of experience in exactly those issues.
Parents who have sent their daughter's there that I know have been very happy. I've heard several times how the pastoral care is really excellent.

Looking for somewhere with very high pastoral care, very nurturing not housing.

Dd has high IQ but processing disorder among other things so low achiever on paper.

Trying to find somewhere that will motivate her without hot housing and develop other areas she is good at.

Does such a place exsist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now