Letter to the school. Please help me word it.

(27 Posts)
nkf Sun 02-Dec-12 09:40:30

My son is in Year 8 in a supposedly good secondary school. The thing that is bugging me is that books are never marked. Or marked very very rarely.

My son told me his books weren't being marked. So I looked at all his books for this term and he's not exaggerating. Only one has been marked. And that one was marked once. And in Maths, he has done some self marking.

It's not right of course and I feel as if I have to say something. Head of Year? She's one of the non markers unfortunately. Head of KS3. And what do I say?

One teacher/one subject might be a sloppy teacher but this, I think, is systematic.

What would you write? And to whom?

NaturallyGullible Tue 04-Dec-12 17:45:13

I suspect that the school will come back with a valid excuse.

There is a lot of evidence for peer marking being effective. The student doing the marking learns a lot from the process and together they can suggest improvements.

A lot of work can be marked as a class, where the students write in their own corrections. They may take this in better than glossing over the comments the teacher has written (thirty times).

Of a teacher assesses in this manner, I think their book at least needs a tick every half-term to show that the students have done their bit. The teacher should also have some way of recording marks every week or two.

EvilTwins Tue 04-Dec-12 18:23:12

Marking and assessment are big deals in the new OFSTED framework, so I would imagine most schools will be looking at their policies. We were looking at our this morning- I teach a practical subject, so a parent could be forgiven for thinking I never mark anything- the students don't have books or folders. However, I have detailed records of their achievement and progress- enough to keep an inspector happy and to be able to have detailed discussions with students about targets and how to reach them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now