Would you contact school about this? Really odd lessons.

(39 Posts)
Vivalebeaver Sat 17-Nov-12 22:16:08

Dd is in yr 7.

First couple of weeks there she mentioned something about a history lesson I thought was odd. But it was first few weeks and I thought maybe the teacher is settling them in.

Dd said they were watching a documentary and everyone was bored. Teacher realised this and stopped the film and let everyone come and draw faces on the board instead.

Then last week dd mentions that her history lesson was about the history of Nicky Minaj's breasts! Apparently this pop star has had a boob job so that's history. She used to have small boobs in the past, now she has big ones.

She's never had any history homework.

Dd says most of her lessons not just history are really easy and that she's bored.

Oh and drama homework this week is to write a leaflet of a fake illness and put the leaflet in your GPs surgery waiting room. I keep asking her if she's sure but she's adamant and she has written it in her planner.

I'm more bothered about the history.

ThreeTomatoes Sun 18-Nov-12 20:50:21

It must have been a joke?!

TBH I think I would just laugh it off with dd, i'd be saying "What? no, he wouldn't have said that!" and then, "Well, do the leaflet if you want but you're NOT putting in the doctor's waiting room!!" Chances are when the homework is supposed to handed in (surely it should be??) it'll all come to light.

I would call and ask about the history syllabus though, that's all very odd. I've had a quick google of the yr7 history syllabus and it's all romans, norman conquest, castles & the like. Maybe throw in a remark about the drama homework at the end of the call?

BackforGood Sun 18-Nov-12 22:58:16

I wouldn't wait to talk to other parents, I'd do as others have suggested - e-mail or phone (I'd go for the Head of Department myself) and say, as a genuine question that you were wondering if you could find out somewhere what they are supposed to be studying in History, and what homework they should be getting, as, from what your daughter has said is happening, she's clearly got confused somewhere along the line, and you'd just like to get it cleared up.
the HoD will be concerned enough to investigate, without you having had to go in with guns blazing in a complaining parent type way.

NoSoggyBottoms Thu 22-Nov-12 00:49:30

Vivalebeaver Just read your thread and how...erm...weird! Doesn't sound right to me. My DS is also Y7 but hasn't been given any h/w like that and hasn't told me about any bizarre lessons as you mentioned.

Anyway, I hope you have followed this up in school and hope you come back to tell us what the school said as I'm nosey intrigued grin

picketywick Thu 22-Nov-12 11:59:12

Have a quiet word with other parents first

Tigerstripes Thu 22-Nov-12 12:31:37

This sounds bonkers. As a teacher I'm really intrigued by this! Please come back and tell us what happened when you enquired!

VivaLeBeaver Thu 22-Nov-12 17:59:35

I've spoken to other parents and general consensus from those with older kids is that her lessons are quite dull.

The only thing I can think is that she was trying to get the kids interest by maybe just briefly mentioning something relevant to them. I'm struggling to pin down from dd how long they were actually talking about this pop stars boobs.

So I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt for now and will quiz dd at length about future lessons.

I've looked through dd's planner and quite a few subjects she only seems to have had two or three bits of homework in total, history, geography, science, French. Only seems to be English, maths, art, dt and re where she's getting much homework. Again other parents say this is normal.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 22-Nov-12 18:00:00

Sorry for an I interesting update.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 22-Nov-12 18:09:34

Uninteresting

NoSoggyBottoms Thu 22-Nov-12 19:06:43

Thanks for the update!

Just to mention, my Y7 DS gets fairly regular homework for Literacy and maths. He has had some homework for RE, art, geography (but that was only name 2 local restaurants and which countries they are from) and technology.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 22-Nov-12 19:10:15

Other parents with older kids say the homework situation is a bit slack in Year 7 but steps up in Yr 8 and by Yr 9 they have loads. I'll probably be complaining in a couple of years about her having too much.

Though I went to a grammar and my memories are of 90 mins of homework a night. I thought it would be like that but obviously not.

slalomsuki Thu 22-Nov-12 19:20:27

Another year 7 and another Norman Conquest history lesson here. This weeks history has been write 1000 words on England after the Norman invasion. It's gone on and on and on and on ........

Homework every evening here, sometimes only 10 mins per subject and sometimes an hour but it seems to add to what they have done in class and is always in the class books so I get to see them.

I would be a bit concerned about the relevance of the lesson and the phones but would make light of it at this stage keeping a watchful brief for the future.

deste Sat 24-Nov-12 22:15:27

My DD is a secondary school drama teacher, I will ask her tomorrow and see what she says.

deste Sun 25-Nov-12 23:00:48

I asked my DD and she said to contact the school and ask the teacher to check her planner to see it was copied down properly. She did suggest that they might be doing some role play about a doctors surgery or something similar, but she looked very surprised when I described it.

deleted203 Wed 28-Nov-12 03:53:11

Just come across this - and as a secondary History teacher my eyebrows are raised in amazement! Normally Y7 should be doing Norman Conquest, Medieval England and Castles, roughly speaking. I can't think of a scheme of work that includes Nicky Minaj's boobs! I'd be more concerned about this than the drama work as drama has a lot more flexibility generally than History does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now