Can you assess possible GCSE passes from KS3?

(6 Posts)
Madmog Tue 13-Nov-12 13:59:41

Thanks for your replies - sorry, I forgot to mention she is in Year 7. I know we are a long way off from final exams (of whatever kind!), but she has always loved music and art, so at the mo would be great if she can pass an exam in that alongside English and Maths which are always good to have. Not sure how long we'll get with tutor tomorrow, so great to have some prior knowledge.

noblegiraffe Tue 13-Nov-12 11:56:37

If she's in Y7 she won't be sitting GCSEs and no one knows what on earth will be going on when she gets to Y11.

noblegiraffe Tue 13-Nov-12 11:53:40

Maths you would probably expect an A from a 7.8 (for an A* you'd be hoping for a level 8). But the problem is that Gove keeps shifting the boundaries and making the exams harder (even though they are to be scrapped) which makes it difficult to say with any confidence any more.

Don't know about other subjects, I think the same level would usually predict a higher GCSE grade in English and Science than in maths, back when we had proper KS3 SATs the data showed there was usually less progress between KS3 and 4 in maths than in other subjects.

trinity0097 Tue 13-Nov-12 11:51:01

As a general rule of thumb is a child achieves a good (or better) Level 5 in Yr 9 then if they work hard they will achieve a C or above in GCSE. To be safe though Level 6 plus is what I would be looking for,

tiggytape Tue 13-Nov-12 11:50:19

Is she in Year 7? If so these targets are probably computer generated and based on her KS2 performance and possibly extra tests they have done since starting secondary.

It is possible therefore to determine that she is doing very well so far and, if she continues to progress at the expected pace and if the KS2 results are an accurate reflection of her natural ability, she will get good GCSE grades in all subjects. She is certainly above the expected level in all areas. We were told a level 8 (only attainable in some subjects like maths) is an A*, a level 7 is an A, level 6 is a B

Of course though, it is a long time between year 7 and year 9 so there is the possibility that she will progress faster in some areas than others and of course the targets depend on her putting in effort. If she stopped working tomorrow, she wouldn't hit the KS3 targets so wouldn't get the GCSE grades associated with them.

If I am wrong though and she is already in Year 9 and these are her targets for the end of this year then her teachers will probably be predicting with much more certainty that she will be getting very high grades across all subjects.

Madmog Tue 13-Nov-12 11:03:22

We've just had our daughter's end of KS3 targets ahead of parents evening. Is it possible to work out from these what she could be capable of achieving at GCSE (assuming she continues to improve as expected and teachers will generally agree on her level). Her targets are English 7.25, Maths 7.75, Science 7.5, Art 6.5, French 7, Games 6, Geography 7.25, History 6.75, IT 6, Life Skills 6.75, Music 6, RE 6.5 and DT 6.75. Funnily enough, the two subjects she loves are music and art which she is achieving lower levels at, so it's these I'm wondering if she stands a chance of getting a GCSE in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now