North Surrey Schools suggestions needed ? Moving from up north

(24 Posts)
tiggytape Mon 12-Nov-12 21:44:07

Lots of people don't 'do' Grammar in Surrey. The Grammars in and around Surrey aren't reserved for Surrey children - they serve the whole of London so the number of local children going to each one is much, much smaller than in parts of Kent and other places where the Grammar schools have catchment areas.

Other areas and schools for commuters include Witely or Milford for Rodborough School and Guildford / Merrow for George Abbot.

The only thing you need to be careful of when you identify a school and an area is that the catchment areas (last distance offered) can be pretty small - less than a mile for some mixed schools and a bit more for single sex schools (eg Glyn's is still much less than 2 miles despite being all boys).

And different parts of Surrey operate different systems eg in some parts of Surrey you get bonus points if the school you want is also your closest school but for other Surrey schools it is just purely down to siblings and distance. Glyn is in Surrey but is sibling and distance whereas The Howard has a catchment and feeder school system and Rodborough in Godalming has a closest school priority. You just need to check carefully thr criteria before you commit.

And finally, you might need to make sure you have a back up plan (a less oversubscribed school) as you have missed the secondary applications deadline for this year. You might still be able to get an application in as late with good reason if you are quick but, if you're looking for the New Year, then you will be treated as a late applicant. This unfortunately means that living close enough or meeting the other criteria won't help as your application gets processed last. You get allocated somewhere with a space after the other children have been allocated their choices which probably means a less popular school. In that case though, living near the school you want does give you priority on the waiting list where distance is one of their deciding factors.

springrain Mon 12-Nov-12 21:19:02

Re secondary admissions the following is SCC policy on late admissions - you can apply up to 14 December if you have a good reason for being late (eg house move).

www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/287474/Determined-Admission-Arrangements-for-2013-Annex-4-Coordinated-Schemes.pdf

Still tight.... But if you applied after and lived very close per the relevant admissions policy you would also probably still get a place when declined places are reallocated.

CecilyP Mon 12-Nov-12 20:59:55

Your local school for Berrylands is Hollyfield in Surbiton which I believe has a good reputation. It is a mixed school, though boy-heavy. There is no obligation to 'do grammar' unless you wish to.

LIZS Mon 12-Nov-12 20:38:38

Presumably you already know that Surrey LA applications for 2013 senior entry closed 2 weeks ago. Claygate v expensive. How about Chessington or Ashtead/Leatherhead?

TheSerene Mon 12-Nov-12 20:32:49

Prices for houses and rent are making my eyes water xx

TheSerene Mon 12-Nov-12 20:32:26

Ouch !

Mimca Mon 12-Nov-12 20:09:52

Sorry, just seen your budget.

Have you seen his website?

racingheart Mon 12-Nov-12 20:05:33

Hi

Glynn is supposed to be a very good school (boys only?.)

Claygate is divided into two secondaries: Hinchley Wood and Esher High, both of which have outstanding Ofsteds. Of the two perhaps Esher has the edge for less academic children as it has strong arts and drama. Hinchley Wood is strong on music and science. Esher, Hinchely Wood and Claygate are all within 30 mins train ride of Waterloo, but all are expensive. HW especially has leapt up in price because of the school.
There are occasional bargains to be had but be prepared for what that means North-South divide. A three bed semi with a 50ft garden is £500k and that's cheap round this area.

Here's a sample of what's on offer round our way:

Mimca Mon 12-Nov-12 20:03:00

Hinchley Wood School is highly regarded as is Esher 6th form College. Both are rated Outstanding by Ofsted. You would need to check if Claygate is in the catchment for those.

Hinchley Wood can be very noisy thanks to the A309 and A307 depending where the house is located. Long Ditton is quieter but further from the train station.

I think you will be in the catchment for those schools in Thames Ditton which has a lovely village feel to it. The TD primary schools are fantastic but the houses prices are expensive.

What's your budget?

TheSerene Mon 12-Nov-12 19:53:58

Not Woking dh s ex gf although from 11 yrs ago lives there so it's no from me !

Sam100 Mon 12-Nov-12 19:48:05

Woking is 30 mins from Waterloo - fast train. Have you thought of looking round there? I don't know the secondaries round there though.

We are near charters school near sunning dale which is on the Waterloo line but about 50 mins.

HairyMaclary Mon 12-Nov-12 19:43:25

I would tend to agree! There are lots of new builds on the old hospital sites around here but also lots of old ones too. it's not as quiet like you may want but quiet and rural compared to London proper!

Surrey county councils website gives the furthest place awarded at glyn to about 1.4 miles (from memory but the council website is quite easy to use) so any houses would have to be quite close.

TheSerene Mon 12-Nov-12 19:43:02

Love the first property but looks like on the London road on my list to call up for tomorrow x

TheSerene Mon 12-Nov-12 19:39:46

Not allowed new builds Dh hates them !

HairyMaclary Mon 12-Nov-12 19:34:31

For houses there is this

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36357835.html

But if it's on London road as themap suggests then that's not a residential road, it may be on a side road though.

This

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35913331.html

Which is on a popular cut through road, Wallace fieds is one of the best primary schools in the area.

This is closer to ewell east station which goes to London bridge but cose enough for Glyn

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-19854057.html?showcase=true

So there are probably properties available that will suit, I'm just wasting time while my boys fall asleep so will continue to look!

TheSerene Mon 12-Nov-12 19:34:29

Much difference between ewell east and west ?

TheSerene Mon 12-Nov-12 19:31:04

HM that's helpful going to research that option

HairyMaclary Mon 12-Nov-12 19:26:55

I would look seriously at the glyn catchment area then, in ewell village and the surrounds, you can probably get a 4 bed house for that and train journey is very doable, about 25 mins from Waterloo. Glyn has a very good reputation and is non selective. Further out you have th Howard of effingham, very god school, mixed sex, but train journey much longer, same line as epsom. Don't really know about other areas, sorry!

TheSerene Mon 12-Nov-12 19:20:50

Thanks for replies realistically I don't think mine are grammar school material !

So where around there has secondary schools ? Dh new job is working silly hours so looking for shortestmcommunte plus family life but are the two compatible?

Esher out of our budget !

Looking at 600k max

Getting nervous now about move sad

HairyMaclary Mon 12-Nov-12 19:16:31

No grammars in north Surrey, neighbouring Sutton has 3 and Kingston has one, all super selective, tutor the hell out of yr child places apparently (we are not at that stage yet!)

HairyMaclary Mon 12-Nov-12 19:14:53

I have friends in the Molesly area, don't know too much about it but apparent,y Esher school (secondary) now as a really good reputation but it wasn't a few years ago. Ouse prices more expensive there I think too.

DuWop Mon 12-Nov-12 19:14:21

in surrey, you have to do grammar. I think ALL the countries grammars are situated in surrey

HairyMaclary Mon 12-Nov-12 19:12:53

Berrylands has no good secondary boys options according to a friend who lives there. Her DS has just taken four grammar school exams for the not really local grammar and not got in despite extensive tutoring, they re wondering if they can stretch to private for him. Claygate is expensive I believe, but I don't know much about it. We are in EWell, glyn school is a very good boys only secondary, trains from stoneleigh or ewell west to Waterloo are frequent, primary schools range from good to outstanding. What is your budget, houses are expensive think £500k for a 4 bed I would think, we are in a 2 bed!

TheSerene Mon 12-Nov-12 19:07:41

Hi moving into the Area from up north and need a suggestion for yr 4 and yr 6 son
For primary but need secondary very soon

Has to be state school and for boys who are okay academically but average and depending on how they are feeling quite lazy !

Plus dh needs Train to waterloo and It needs to be affordable for us want a 4 bed house in a cul de sac not used to London noise and kids used to playing one the front garden

Like on paper the look of Berrylands and Claygate and east Moseley but can't find the secondary school ? Down this weekend And planning a good look at the area

Any help or things to consider would be helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now