Just no idea what PC to buy to help with homework

(6 Posts)
EcoLady Sun 11-Nov-12 23:04:28

Laptop but with a big screen? I have a 17" DELL. It's huge but the screen is ace. If it's staying at home then portability is fine. DD since got one as well. Mine is red and hers is purple [shallow].

TalkinPeace2 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:08:46

PC world are notoriously bad in the trade
honestly, go to John Lewis, even if you do not buy from there
(but remember that John Lewis pay their UK taxes, unlike Amazon, Apple and Ebay)

trinity0097 Sun 11-Nov-12 20:57:41

Asides from the issues to do with your specific children, any new computer would suffice, as long as it can access the internet and run MS Office/Open Office, that is all most children will ever need for school.

Why not try speaking to someone in a local independent computer shop if you don't want to go to PC World.

TalkinPeace2 Sun 11-Nov-12 20:50:33

www.johnlewis.com/231740089/Product.aspx
I am currently using one of these ....
it does everything I need for work and the kids need for school
and the staff at a john Lewis know their stuff without being snotty
and once you balance spec / convenience / service
its a pretty good deal

BlackandGold Sun 11-Nov-12 18:51:33

You can use a laptop with an external monitor to get a larger screen.

What system are you currently on as you might need to check your current printer works with Windows 8 (which is what I assume you would get on a new pc)?

What software would you need? MS Office Student Edition?

I would think most laptops come with a dvd drive as standard nowadays.

tomsmumautism Sun 11-Nov-12 18:39:30

This is going to sound really lame blush but I need a PC for my son to help him with his homework and no idea what to get. We have two PCs in one room (downstairs) one for office work and the older one is too slow to run modern applications. Both have internet access. However, DS2 has an older brother with profound autism and associated behavioral problems so not sure we dont' want a lap top, so he can take the computer somewhere quiet if he has to. BUT of course sometimes DS1 (with ASD) is quiet and needs company and then DS2 can't get help with homework unless he's in the same room. I feel like we want the screen size of a PC with the portability of a lap top. And something that plugs easily into a printer or perhaps even prints remotely. AND sometimes school sends home homework on ereaders, DVD-rom etc. So needs a drive you can load those onto too. I can't bear to face the spotty oiks in PC world. Can anyone help me? thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now