Good WW1/2 related book for DS, Y9, to read and review, pls.

(34 Posts)
Erebus Fri 09-Nov-12 18:09:05

DS1 has to read a WW1 or 2 related book over 5 weeks and review it. He mentioned "All quiet on the Western Front", Anne Frank's diary (no!), they've studied "Hitler's Canary" already, and there's "Boy in the Striped Pyjamas". I gather there are several Michael Morpurgo ones ("Waiting for Anya").

Any other ideas? I thought of "Schindler's Ark" (List!). Do you think that would be OK for a reasonably clever 13 year old?

TIA

sashh Sun 11-Nov-12 01:45:04

Another vote for the silver sword.

When I was your DS age I read about escapes from Colditz, SOE opperations and accounts of the resistance. I can't remember the titles but amazon turned up Violette Szabo: The Life That I Have

pithy Mon 12-Nov-12 18:27:14

Colditz - the story of the escape bids from the fortress that was Colditz Castle- as told by the POWs themselves. I loved this as a teenager.

choccyp1g Portugal Mon 12-Nov-12 20:19:11

Roald Dahl : "Going Solo", the famous children's author Roald Dahl retells his experiences as a British fighter pilot during World War II.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 12-Nov-12 20:26:17

My 13 yr old DD read Private Peaceful recently...she seemed quite thoughtful afterwards, said it was good. (I've not read it myself).

The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas is (IMO) not a good book at all.

(I used to love reading my big bros Alistair McCleans at this sort of age... I read whatever was in the house, it was a strange mix of those and mum's Womans' Weekly Romantic Fiction! grin )

BraaaaaainsButterfield Mon 12-Nov-12 20:28:59

Another vote for Private Peaceful, currently going down well with my Year 8. The writing style makes it easy to read but it's not simplistic and covers some challenging themes.

Takver Tue 13-Nov-12 14:43:05

"Biggles, Pioneer Air Fighter" - tongue in cheek suggestion, but he might enjoy reading it alongside a more 'serious' book to compare the different attitudes / approaches to dealing with war in fiction now and then!

DeWe Tue 13-Nov-12 18:10:57

What about The Eagle has landed (Jack Higgins). I read it for a competition at about that age, and was surprised to find I enjoyed it.

If he can get it, there's Mystery at Witchend by Malcolm Saville which is war related. (Get GGBP/hardback as armada is heavily abridged)

ISingSoprano Tue 13-Nov-12 18:18:23

Another vote for Private Peaceful - a relatively easy read but a very thought provoking theme.

pointythings Netherlands Tue 13-Nov-12 18:41:33

I'm seconding both I Am David and The Book Thief. DD1 has done Private Peaceful in Yr7 and got a lot out of it, so would recommend that one too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now