the school that must remain nameless

(87 Posts)
gingeroots Thu 08-Nov-12 22:12:03

This is getting silly .
What on earth was libelious this time ?

BoundandRebound Mon 12-Nov-12 21:51:27

I have a very happy child at Kingsdale and I am delighted with the school and his experience there

I am sad it has become the subject of endless online gossip and speculation, and repeated negative comments as "facts" when are just repeated gossip. I think Blu has offered a good summary.

I don't think Kingsdale is perfect but its doing very well by my very happy child and the condemnation is hard to stomach, as I said on the thread with the Kingsdale title it's like people are telling me that I'm wrong to be happy and my child is going to fail.

I can share negative stories and gossip about many schools, I work in education, but I won't because it can do nothing but damage reputations and hurt students so I'm going to channel my inner Thumper instead

gingeroots Mon 12-Nov-12 18:49:32

Blu - this is one definition I found from a quick google

^an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others.
it must be a statement which claims to be fact, and is not clearly identified as an opinion^
legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/libel

the tending to bring bit is pretty broad ,but the untruth v.opinion isn't .

still I expect any legal bod worth their salt can make it more complicated .

Blu Mon 12-Nov-12 17:41:27

StockwellLiving - what did you do about your admissions dilemma in the end?

Blu Mon 12-Nov-12 17:40:37

MN have now refined the reaction to deletion of posts rather than threads.

But confusion reigns about the nature of the posts that were deleted.

Disclaimer: The following question is theoretical and bears no relation to any living individual and no animals were harmed in the making of this post.

On MN I see many many threads discussing many schools and people asking for feedback on impressions from Open Days and for opinions from current parents. I have seen detailed critique - critical and complimentary - of the Heads' (not named, just called 'the head') speeches. They are part of the normal way parents talk to each other about schools. Is it libellous to pass on your impression of an event which is publicly available and aimed at a public audience? If not, how on earth do we ever have film and theatre reviews of actors, for example? Is it libellous to allege, for example, that in my opinion 'Claire Danes' use of the widened eye in Homeland is becoming ludicrous, does she have no other expresssion?'.

Is it libellous to say 'my child had this experience at this, shall we say, swimming club, and it wasn't for us so we have moved to another one'?

Is it libellous to say 'I was unhappy working at Royal Bank of Spotland because of the pressure, but now at Republican Piggy Bank I feel valued'? (Although I can see that there could be contractual issues re talking about your employer - bit those are different from libel).

If someone's opinion can be libellous shouldn't complimentary comments be deleted too?

FWIW, I don't think rumour, innuendo and non-evidenced gossip is acceptable and we have Newsnight as chief witness on that one.

blindworm Mon 12-Nov-12 17:23:59

You wouldn't think so. But you also wouldn't think it was libellous to share your opinion without naming teachers or unfairly defaming the school.
But apparently it is, so I think they may be working from a different set of laws to the rest of us.

StockwellLiving Mon 12-Nov-12 17:20:30

But there is a parallel Kingsdale thread to this one which has not been deleted.

I guess I'm missing something.

Surely its not libelous to say: "Kinsdale always complain about threads and ask for them to be deleted since they are libelous".

That's just true!

blindworm Mon 12-Nov-12 17:18:25

Well done, StockwellLiving.
Because the thread will be deleted. Like all the Kingsdale threads are.

StockwellLiving Mon 12-Nov-12 17:17:17

Why can't we just say its Kingsdale?

Blu Mon 12-Nov-12 17:15:31

no, no, not you, blindworm - just that clearly summaries beget detail, detail will lead to.....you know were-----wooooOOOOO <<spirals to oblivion>> grin

blindworm Mon 12-Nov-12 17:10:05

Sorry if I gave you the third degree there Blu - didn't mean it to come across like that. Wasn't aware of it having been made public so long ago.

Blu Mon 12-Nov-12 17:02:04

Am regretting a summary now.

The original thing became internet public - but deleted, understandably and IMO rightly - ages and ages, possibly a year or more, before the paper and TV were involved.

Exactly - many schools have not yet published 2012 GCSE results, there could be many reasons for not doing so in advance of the DfE, innocent, forgetful, deliberate with good reason, deliberate with less helpful reason...who knows - but people have been asking.

Really - if it is a school you might live near enough to attend you will know, and if you don't you don't need to know. Never was the phrase 'won't somebody think of the children' more apt!

LynetteScavo Mon 12-Nov-12 16:59:05

OK, found another thread about it.

blindworm Mon 12-Nov-12 16:51:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LynetteScavo Mon 12-Nov-12 16:49:22

No, I am the last to know!

What are you all on about??

Someone please PM me (I get ridiculously excited when I get a PM grin)

TalkinPeace2 Mon 12-Nov-12 16:47:51

I don't know and frankly unless one is in the area choosing a secondary school, don't care

youwillobey Mon 12-Nov-12 16:46:37

Can someone PM me the school? Really confused. I'm always the last to know! (and usually never know) sad

TalkinPeace2 Mon 12-Nov-12 16:37:22

Blu
not publishing 2012 full GCSEs - quite a few schools have not - particularly those that were hit hard by the English paper
they will get published in January by the DFe regardless of what a school tries to do.

Sadly the whole Academy programme is a disaster waiting to happen in terms of accountability of public funds

blindworm Mon 12-Nov-12 16:35:11

It wasn't the teachers who made the investigation public though? It was reported on Channel 4 and in the Guardian which was what attracted the attention. Unless I missed something? I was aware there had been teachers on here and other forums but I thought that was after the Channel 4 piece.

Blu Mon 12-Nov-12 16:30:05

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FourTables Mon 12-Nov-12 14:30:15

I keep seeing these threads and then a couple of days later they get deleted. I wasn't bothered to know what was going on until all the mystery! Can anyone do a vague-as-necessary rundown on any of it???

MouseThatRoars Mon 12-Nov-12 14:25:43

Thanks blindworm

MouseThatRoars Mon 12-Nov-12 14:09:29

We are also looking at secondary schools in Duwich. Can someone pm me please?

Frontpaw Mon 12-Nov-12 13:58:04

If you want any juicy ones, I'm your woman!

blindworm Mon 12-Nov-12 13:56:10

No one is saying that Frontpaw - though I'm about ready to start spreading rumours!

Frontpaw Mon 12-Nov-12 13:46:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now