How to do Latin and Greek A levels in West country

(30 Posts)
duchesse Sun 04-Nov-12 01:15:49

Any clues? DD2 (currently just 15 and in yr11) is adamant she wants to do Latin and Greek A levels- all her preferred combinations all include these. The only problem is that the only place she can apparently do Greek is by staying at her current school, which she absolutely does not want to do.

Her other A level choices are any three from maths, chemistry, physics and French, all of which she can do at the College.

Any ideas gratefully received.

englishteacher78 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:11:50

If she doesn't manage to do Greek at A level it's not the end of the road for Oxbridge Classics due to the summer school system. Very few schools nationwide offer Greek at A level (mine is one)

LondonMother Mon 07-Oct-13 20:46:22

Good luck to her, duchesse. I did a Classics degree a million years ago, after having the luck to do Latin and Greek to A level. I believe my old school still offers both, but unfortunately it's a couple of hundred miles from you. My husband did a Classics degree after teaching himself Latin and Greek to A level, but this is not an option I'd recommend for most normal people! Our daughter is doing a Classics degree now after doing Latin and Greek to A level. She was able to do Latin to GCSE at school but not Greek, so her dad taught her to GCSE. That wasn't a realistic option for A level, so she switched schools and the choice was more or less entirely made because it was the only school for miles around which would give her the chance to do both Latin and Greek to A level. I know it's possible to do a Classics degree to a high standard without A level in both languages first, but I think if you can possibly manage it it is a big help to do A level first. The earlier the language really embeds, the better. I would be very surprised if you couldn't find a student or lecturer to help out. Summer schools are a big help. My daughter's done the London Summer School in Classics several years now and found it very beneficial. Good luck!

caeciliusestinhorto Mon 07-Oct-13 22:08:42

Well said almapudden and oldqueenie! Bonsoir, obviously the country is crying out for more Engineers Chemists and Germanists and graduates from other shortage subjects but I would say Classics is likely to remain highly regarded. Duchesse if all else fails she can become Mayor of London! If she wants to go to Ox or Bridge then the odds are also much in her favour. Do contact Exeter University re a tutor.

caeciliusestinhorto Mon 07-Oct-13 22:12:51

p.s metella est in atrio, canis in via latrat and who knows grumio, clemens and melissa are probably all up to no good behind the chariot sheds...

caeciliusestinhorto Mon 07-Oct-13 22:19:35

http://www.jact.org/summer_schools.html

good idea LondonMother

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now