Any thoughts on the new Samuel Ryder Academy in St Albans?

(10 Posts)
scubacat2292 Thu 01-Nov-12 02:14:19

I know that they rebranded the failing Francis Bacon school, so I was hoping to hear from some parents who have kids there this year. How is the school doing? Do you think it is improving? Obviously the official scores won't come out for a while, so do you think giving a previously failing school a chance is a good idea? I'm intrigued by the idea of sending all three of my kids to the same location - sure would be easy at pickup and drop off. : )

scubacat2292 Thu 01-Nov-12 15:03:47

bump - anybody? Is nobody going there, or just have no good things to say? smile

Gunznroses Thu 01-Nov-12 19:07:35

OP maybe you should rename the thread with the old "francis bacon" as i dont think most people would recognise the new name iyswim.

APMF Thu 01-Nov-12 22:13:23

I know a mum who was stupid naive enough to choose Francis Bacon last year for her DD.

Her reasoning? It was close enough for her DD to walk whereas Sandringham or Beaumont required a bus ride. As for its reputation, how bad could it be? She transferred her DD out by the end of Year 7.

They may have got rid of the bad teachers but the bad kids are still there. Unfortunately life isn't like a Hollywood movie where an inspirational head/teacher joins a failing school and suddenly the formerly disruptive pupils overnight discover a love for learning.

It will take a few years before the problem children graduate.

scubacat2292 Fri 02-Nov-12 00:51:05

I guess I didn't expect the problem to be the students. I assumed the school would have bad reports due to unqualified staff or bad teaching. Sure, there are always troubled kids and poor performers, but honestly, great teaching can make a huge difference in that environment. How can some problem children bring down the reputation of a whole school?

APMF Fri 02-Nov-12 02:40:48

There was an article earlier this year in the local free rag about how two pupils were given bikes as prizes for good attendance. The problem goes beyond bad teachers when you have to offer expensive inducements in order to get your pupils to turn up regularly.

Gunznroses Fri 02-Nov-12 08:08:35

OP don't be a hero! Why would i want to give "a previously failing school" a chance with my dc education, 5 important years that he/she can't get back again? Unless that is ultimately the only school within catchment, in which case i would have "found" religion whatever it takes.

scubacat2292 Fri 02-Nov-12 21:50:47

Gunz- clearly if I had another choice, I would take it! But we're relocating overseas and will be doing in-year transfers for my kids, so I was just looking to see what I should do if that was my only option.

missmayametcalf Tue 28-Jan-14 13:18:03

I go to Samuel Ryder and it is really good!

Voljumen Wed 23-Apr-14 15:55:46

Hi missmayametcalf,
What exactly is good about the school? The teachers? The equipment? The facilities? the Curriculum? Is it easy or demanding?

Thanks for sharing in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now