Alexandra park school vs highgate wood

(17 Posts)

I was super impressed with APS. We are in the catchment for Fortismere and APS and picked APS as our first choice.

halebop97 Tue 27-Nov-12 13:44:49

Highgate Wood is improving. However, the teaching at aps is outstanding. Ofsted confirmed this and although a fair number of schools are outstanding over all. very few are outstanding for teaching.Pastoral care is also better. There is less bullying at aps .

toldyouso Sat 06-Oct-12 23:16:03

Thanks for that, it's reassuring.
I think we are lucky to have two such good schools to consider...

crazynanna Sat 06-Oct-12 22:03:30

She's doing double science. It is true they are hot on the Arts,but dd's science teacher,and the team in general,are motivated and enthusiastic and dd enjoys the format of the lessons'.

She chose History,Sociology,Media Studies and HE as her choices'.

She seems to enjoy the GCSE work,but finds' it a bit stressy. Early days though.

I do like the school,and I am glad she is there smile

toldyouso Sat 06-Oct-12 21:56:45

Oh that's great.. Not the bullying, but the fact that they sorted it. It's important that they step in with that sort of crap
What subjects is she doing?
Is science supposed to be good there?

crazynanna Sat 06-Oct-12 21:54:20

DD goes to HWS...was bullied by exclusion,and HOY was fantastic and got to grips with it very quickly. That was yr7. She's in Y10 now and doing really well.

toldyouso Sat 06-Oct-12 21:49:52

We are in a cross over place....does anyone have any direct experience?
I understand that HW is so much better this last few years..
APS is quite corporate I think

daytoday Sat 06-Oct-12 19:55:36

Are you in catchment for both? They are quite far apart.

I think the 'standard kid' would do well in both. APS considered much much better for pastoral care than HW. So if bullying a worry etc - then def go for APS.

If his friends are all going to HW (and you are happy with friends) then I'd be tempted to send him there.

toldyouso Sat 06-Oct-12 19:24:29

But we want to find other people whose kids go to the schools to give heir opinion too.. Don't want to get it wrong

toldyouso Sat 06-Oct-12 19:23:51

Well, I think he'll do best with the teachers that seem enthusiastic about science.
He' loves chemistry and maths and astronomy

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sat 06-Oct-12 19:22:11

Science will be totally different by the time he gets to GCSE I wouldn't worry too much about that- go with the one you think he'll be happiest in.

toldyouso Sat 06-Oct-12 18:32:28

he likes all of the school we have seen..
he thinks he might prefer HW as most of his friemds are going there.
But he would like to do astronomy GCSE and that is in APS, not HW.

i wondered about the science provision.. he may want to do triple sceinces.

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sat 06-Oct-12 10:03:47

All I really know about HGW is that my friend went, loved it and went on to study history at Cambridge. What does your child think?

toldyouso Sat 06-Oct-12 09:25:56

Yy I'm trying to decide which one would be best..
I liked the science dept at APS

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sat 06-Oct-12 07:46:14

I think high gate wood used to have a fantastic art/music dpt?

toldyouso Sat 06-Oct-12 07:40:25

Bump

toldyouso Sat 06-Oct-12 00:43:02

Does anyone have any advice about either of these schools?
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now