11+ day here. Anyone got their results?

(84 Posts)
DoIDare Fri 05-Oct-12 17:43:27

We have. I am completely in shock. We need to start looking at completely different schools.

Is everyone happy/ok whatever?

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 05-Oct-12 17:45:42

It's the 15th here. I'm not holding out much hope as DS1 was ill for the main sitting, so had to do the alternate sitting. He was still ill for that, but had to sit as it was his last chance.

Tummy in knots until the 15th.

DoIDare Fri 05-Oct-12 17:48:19

I was sure as sure in my mind and so surprise was quite profound. Dd sat both tests, so we have another result day yet. Not that it is especially significant - I think I will just have to mull this over before doing the application online.

Your poor lad, being poorly. Did he cope ok?

ToothbrushThief Sat 13-Oct-12 22:14:53

DoIDare
Can I ask was the result better or worse than anticipated?

What does the letter say - ours arrives this week and we've been given no advice regarding the advice it will give

DoIDare Sat 13-Oct-12 22:22:39

Result was waaaay better than expected. I thought dd was borderline and she aced it. To the point we have been to super selective to have look. I had not even entertained the idea.

I knew she was fairly bright, but the sample papers we saw were so hard IMO, to get that many answers right in such a short time (30s per q I think). I also heard lots of families doing a practice paper every day over the summer hols, so felt I had not done enough to help her. However, I felt that whilst she was not as prepared as she could be, she was as prepared as she should be.

We received results by email and it took me half hour to really believe them. The hard copy was clearer - your child is considered suitable for a selective school

ToothbrushThief Sat 13-Oct-12 22:30:01

I hope I get a similar result!! Also anticipating borderline here

DoIDare Sat 13-Oct-12 22:33:43

Fingers crossed. It is a lovely surprise. Is it very awful to say I was surprised by the level of geekiness at the super selective school? Bearing in mind I work in a school, I thought I would be prepared, but what a shock!

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sun 14-Oct-12 09:29:37

I'm a bag of nerves right now. They don't even start sending the emails out round here till AFTER 4pm tomorrow.

DoIDare Sun 14-Oct-12 11:16:58

Gulp. Hard waiting isn't it?

MaureenCognito Sun 14-Oct-12 11:28:09

Tip.
It's Not Nice to reveal the result. They pass or fail.

LizzieVereker Sun 14-Oct-12 11:40:10

To those of you waiting, I sympathise, having been through the system with my own DS1. What I can promise you, as a teacher in a "non selective" school, that if your child comes to us, we will do everything we can to help them achieve their potential. Fom the top set, to the bottom set, we won't write them off. And if it's any comfort to those with students at the borderline, my top set year 11 were sparkier and achieved results just as high as those at the grammar school I taught at previously. And my year 7s are the brightest class I've ever taught in 13 years. I refuse to let any of these children feel like they've "failed" - they are just in the right school for them, and with support they can all achieve.

Good luck to all your DCs, just wanted to offer a "don't panic" to those who might not get the result they are hoping for.

lljkk Sun 14-Oct-12 11:42:48

So the 11+ is actually taken before most of them even turn 11? shock
Gawd I hate aspects of the English system.

MaureenCognito Sun 14-Oct-12 11:44:26

It's for the school you'll be at at 11. Not taken at 11

teacherwith2kids Sun 14-Oct-12 11:46:06

lijkk,

The tests are late Sept / early October - so in fact 11 out of 12 of children will be under 11 when they take them (assuming approximately even distribution of birth dates across the year).

Mad, isn't it?

What a cracking post Lizzie

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sun 14-Oct-12 12:24:29

They don't "pass or fail" here. Superselectives only. It's ALL on the mark, and how many people are applying, and New catchments for the next closest Superselective, and and and about 1,000 other variables.

Here if they got less than 335 as their standardised score, there's no point in even putting down the Grammar. VERY nerve wracking.

Though other areas that took the CSSE test will get in with a score of 303.

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhh!!

I'm trying to keep my email inbox empty so I know when it comes in.

Theas18 Sun 14-Oct-12 12:43:24

Don't think any of the posters so far are in my area - Birmingham?

We have superselectives only.

The 11+ date was moved from ealy November , to sept for the first time this year. Raw scores only ,plus the mark above which places were allocated last year.

I am waiting for the carnage that is coming, and a feel so sorry for the kids and parents. It's do hard to understand that, getting a score that would have passed last year ( or being just under it) is only a guideline, not a certainty of a place. If the cohort is all significantly brighter ( or has higher marks just because the test was easier, kids with a mark this year that old have got them in, had they applied last year, may still not get a place.

People will be not choosing and insurance non selective school or just putting one grammar down. Awful.

The system was bad enough to understand when you had to include grammars and non selectives because you just didn't know till places were out , but this is really crp!

Good luck to all year 6 - hope you get the right school for you, selective or not - and fab teachers like lizzievereker!

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sun 14-Oct-12 13:55:19

Yep, date moved here too. We only found out at Easter!

tiggytape Sun 14-Oct-12 14:09:15

I know for the the London Super Selectives, they don't even get told their marks - just pass or fail. Which isn't very helpful since out of nearly 2000 applicants, there might be 500 - 700 who pass but only 150 or so of those will actually end up with a place. All very stressful!

I hope everyone here gets the results they want.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sun 14-Oct-12 14:15:48

I've just been working out what marks mean what for previous years for the school I'm after.

From what I can see, above W mark is very likely to get a place, between W mark and X mark is likely to get a place, between X mark and Y mark it is a possible place, maybe from waiting list, between Y mark and Z mark is waiting list, but might not get a place, and anything below Z mark won't get a place no matter what.

Can you tell I'm over thinking this? grin

IslaValargeone Sun 14-Oct-12 14:22:19

There are some areas, Lancashire is one, where you are only told your marks if you fail. If you get a letter saying you have passed and are within catchment etc etc, as long as you put the grammar school 1st on the CAF form they inform the LEA that you have a place with them.

Yellowtip Sun 14-Oct-12 14:23:21

Ours were supposed to come through on the 15th but an e-mail was sent through overnight on the 13th. Here (a superselective) its either A = you have a place, B = you might very well get a place but you might equally well not or C = not eligible.

IslaValargeone Sun 14-Oct-12 14:24:37

I don't know the definition of superselective.
Lancs takes the first 112 over the pass mark (whatever that is) who are within catchment. If those places are not filled, the places are offered to OOC students.

Yellowtip Sun 14-Oct-12 14:31:47

Superselective simply means no catchment. Anyone living anywhere can apply and has an equal chance of success (with the tiny caveat that if there's a tie for the very last place then nearest to school wins).

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sun 14-Oct-12 14:32:13

We don't get a pass or fail at all. Just a list of previous year's last pupil admitted's standardised score.

Which might not be helpful, as last year parents applied for schools in October, DC's sat the 11+ in November, and they got told their results and allocated school on 1st March.

There has also been a catchment change to the Grammar in the town over, that will mean people that can no longer go there, from the villages between that town and my town, will end up trying for the Grammar in our town.

We fear that extra applicants are going to make it harder for borderline pupils to get in.

This year, they sat in September, we get the results on 15th October, and have to apply by 31st October. Without knowing a ranking for the school, we won't know whether they will even get on the waiting list with their score.

We will find out if they got offered the school in March.

If their score is lower than has been offered from the last place offered from the waiting list for the last few years, then there's not much point in even putting it on the application form.

If their score is above a certain number, then they are almost guaranteed a place.

It those that are likely to fall into the no nan's land between those two figures that will have the most problems.

Do you start to collate an appeal now if you have grounds to do so? (Not send it in, but to do all the work needed to try to win an appeal)

Just think the system could be better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now