Parents of new sixth form/college students

(11 Posts)
BringBack1996 Tue 09-Oct-12 21:23:34

Yep, detentions are given out for missing lessons/leaving school when they're not meant to. I assume it's to make up for the time missed?

busymummy3 Mon 08-Oct-12 23:17:28

Blimey ! do they still get detentions in Sixth Form ? are they not treated like the young adults they are ?

BringBack1996 Mon 08-Oct-12 18:28:42

Sorry to hear about the DC who aren't settling in too well sad

DS started a bit rockily (?) but has got into the swing of it now. Of course, it did take one missed lesson and consequent detention before this happened hmm

bossboggle Thu 04-Oct-12 18:00:57

DC struggling big time but had to cope with so much going on at home!! Too much happening at home recently - life changing things DC has no control over!! Going to college to see if DC can drop from 4 AS levels to 3! Would it be possible - any advice anyone - need to get it sorted quick DC very very unhappy - and that's an understatement!! Help!!

Kez100 Thu 04-Oct-12 10:41:16

She is buzzin'

Luckily there is a Diploma right up her street, directed at the career she wants in an area that has been her self-taught hobby for 3 years. It is hard work in terms of the quantity of research, organisation and writing required but she is sooooo happy. She has also made some new friends but is keeping in touch with the close friends from school too.

glaurung Thu 04-Oct-12 01:24:55

dd hasn't really got to grips with the amount of time that she needs to spend on homework/private study as opposed to boyfriend, partying, sport and working and has consequently had rather mixed topic test results. She'd have preferred not to do A levels but couldn't find anything else that appealed either. With her ability she'd really have been a bit mad not to do A levels, but it's going to be a struggle for her to get her motivation for them high enough. She's already swapped maths for psychology and is also doing biology, chem and physics (and critical thinking but nobody really counts that). That said she's enjoying the social side and has made a lot of new friends.

I'm not really sure what to advise her.

BackforGood Thu 04-Oct-12 00:20:00

I'm incredibly surprised at ds's enthusiasm for work at the moment shock. Indeed <faints clean away> as he's never been keen on doing any study outside of lessons.
I guess it's because he's only now doing the subjects he likes, and not having to battle through the ones he had to do, but didn't like.

Long may it continue!

prettydaisies Wed 03-Oct-12 21:48:17

There's a theme here. My DD is doing further maths, physics, English lit and geography. Today she had a good day. She's finding the further maths tough but is doing ok through very hard work.

mummytime Belgium Wed 03-Oct-12 20:08:12

Mine has struggled. Is enjoying Maths/Further Maths, not enjoying Physics. Fortunately he had problems straight away, so didn't get too far behind before everyone pitched in to help him catch up.

bruffin England Wed 03-Oct-12 18:58:47

Ds is taking Maths, Further Maths, physics, and philosophy and ethics. He has also decided to do a Latin Gcse instead of finance/pshe and added some sort of engineering in his sparetime. He says the engineering is virtually the same as his maths and physics. Then last week he had a bit of a wobbly and panic that he wasn't going to do it all and got a bit upset. But thankfully after a chat and a cuddle he was fine. Then came home and started talking about extended projects hmm but thankfully hrs realizes its a nogo.

BringBack1996 Wed 03-Oct-12 18:44:13

How are you DC all getting on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now