Lower predicted a2 grades

(16 Posts)
Candera820 Tue 13-Nov-12 10:52:13

If my one of my predicted grade is lower than actually what I got. Would it be an influence on the decision that the tutor made to consider me an offer? I use my Chinese maths and chemistry to apply university, and I got economics as well which the teacher predicted me a lower grade. Are there any damage would do to my application ?

webwiz Mon 24-Sep-12 08:42:50

A2 is meant to be more difficult so it will be standardised to allow for this - that's why people drop down to three A2s rather than carry on with the four they study to AS to allow for the extra work to get the same grade.

As an example the last chemistry A2 paper is usually very difficult and much harder than anything taken at AS level.

catwoo Mon 24-Sep-12 00:00:49

'People tend to score lower on A2 modules than they do at AS (in my subject, maths, at least) as they are harder'

Giraffenoble- see this is what I don't understand.Simply speaking my understanding is that raw marks are conversted to UMS to standardise for difficulty.It is more or less going to be the same cohort sitting the A2s in June 13 as the AS in June 2011, so i don't understand how it is harder to get a grade at A2 than AS

minsmum Thu 20-Sep-12 19:59:22

My DD got ABB at AS her school said they would only predict 1 level above for A2 but her RS teacher has said she will only predict B. In one paper she got a B in the other she got an A but said there is no need for her to do a resit.
I have to make an appointment as she wants to resit because she really wants to apply to Exeter and they want AAB. She is prepared to do anything it takes but the teacher is not keen so I need to find out why.
I am very glad to see your DD's teacher was so nice

Knowsabitabouteducation Thu 20-Sep-12 19:53:45

That's realistic. The teacher will want to have a good six weeks to monitor her performance and effort. They have to go on as much evidence as they can.

ijustwanttobeme Thu 20-Sep-12 19:49:50

Had a lovely chat with DD's teacher today. She advised that DD is capable of getting a good B, but wants to see how she gets on with course up till half term. Am happy with that.

noblegiraffe Thu 20-Sep-12 08:41:41

People tend to score lower on A2 modules than they do at AS (in my subject, maths, at least) as they are harder, so I'd be reluctant to predict someone who was only borderline at AS an A* too.

catwoo Thu 20-Sep-12 08:33:59

I am annoyed that DS who achieved bang on 90% on AS in one of his subjects hasn't been predicted the A* he needs at A2.I am sure other teachers and other schools might have predicted similar students in o9ther schools an A*.So might have to take a year out no and apply on actual grades which he would really really rather not do.

Floralnomad Wed 19-Sep-12 19:46:05

My son is just starting his 2nd year at uni and the grammar that he attended constantly stressed the importance of the personal statement . I was given the impression that it was these more individual things that influenced universities not just the predicted grades.

ijustwanttobeme Wed 19-Sep-12 19:41:08

Thank you for your replies.

I have an appointment with her biology teacher on Friday, so that I can understand reasons for grade predicted, plus what is expected from DD in order to get the higher predicted grade.

DD knows she has to work her socks off and has asked for additional help with resit and rest of year work, ie tutor. Is even considering giving up much wanted weekend job in order to keep on top of work.

noblegiraffe Wed 19-Sep-12 09:51:40

I have in the past changed predicted grades for uni offers if the student has a hope of getting them (resits, hiring a tutor etc) but have strongly warned the student that it's against better judgement and insisted that they make their insurance offer one with my predicted grade.

creamteas Wed 19-Sep-12 08:47:59

As an admissions tutor, I don't think you need to worry too much. Predicted grades are just predictions.

Our standard offer is ABB, and because we look at the whole application, we will frequently make that offer to students predicted BBB (sometimes even to those with a BBC prediction if there are encouraging signs).

If Birmingham is the place she really wants to go and they don't make her an offer, she can always withdraw from UCAS this year and reapply when she has her A level grades. Better to take a year out than be on the wrong course.

IMO some schools really push DC into their UCAS applications in year 13 when some of them are uncertain about lots of things (grades, course choice, which uni etc). This is often so the school can say how good they are at getting kids into top unis, rather than to benefit the DC

Focusing on finishing their A levels, and making the uni decision afterwards could benefit lots of DC.

senua Wed 19-Sep-12 08:30:16

Disagree with the others! If you need XYZ to get an offer from your University of choice, then it is part of a parent's job to help to try to get that prediction.
FWIW, one of DS's teachers has said that he will predict one grade from the AS as it stands, and one grade higher if DS puts in for a re-sit on one of the modules. (Try asking your teacher what their prediction would be without the re-sit hmm)
However, I do agee with the others that DD also has to do her part and act and behave like an A/B grade pupil.

I think that teachers got their fingers burnt this summer with the change in grade boundaries and are wary of over-predicting. Remember that DD doesn't have to go to Uni straight after Y13: she can always take a gap year and re-apply with known grades and use the time to raise funds or have fun. This generation will have to work until they drop until old age so they should think twice about rushing into University/work.

Kez100 Wed 19-Sep-12 05:29:14

Hopefully now she is putting in the work and proving herself to be an A and B grade student in the individual subjects. She needs to do everything she can that is within her control. I can't imagine schools allowing parents to control predictions.

Knowsabitabouteducation Wed 19-Sep-12 04:04:19

I don't think the school should be getting parents to do the predicted grades.

They have to use their own professional judgment. It is appropriate to reassess the situation just before the UCAS form goes in, ie sometime after half-term, when they will have seen how your DD has adapted to her A2 courses and how hard she is working.

There is a big difference between a prediction and a wish.

ijustwanttobeme Tue 18-Sep-12 23:12:43

Dd got BCC for pe, psychology and biology at AS.

She is retaking a module for biology as got E, but for other two modules she had v high Bs.

She was hoping to get A for PE and biology and a B for psychology, but had emotional meltdown as boyfriend dumped her on eve of exams!

Hoping to do sports science and really keen on amongst others, Birmingham which wants AAB or if doing more than one science(y) subject including pe and psychology ABB.

Predicted grades are A for PE, B for Psychology and C for Biology.

School were aware of DD emotional state during expands- was A* student for GCSE so more than capable.

Can I insist school change prediction? This lower grade could scupper potential offers surely?

Tried phoning teacher and emailing but have only received two bland messages back saying will look into it after half term.

Don't want to be pushy parent but ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now