Girls or Mixed Boarding Schools for Sixth Form

(84 Posts)
SRGR Thu 09-Aug-12 09:59:07

My d is not very academically inclined but very interested in music, drama and sports. Any suggestions for a good boarding school for girls or a coed with a balance of this

ChiswickLu Fri 25-Jan-13 21:36:14

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NessaYork Tue 18-Dec-12 23:01:07

This won't help because I'm biased, but have you considered York? It's only 2 hours by train from London, boarding rates are much less expensive than London, it's a VERY safe community - certainly compared with London. And we have outstanding schools. As I said, I'm biased. I hope this helps.

MrsWobble Sun 16-Dec-12 20:37:28

Hi srgr. We are neither local nor from overseas but I get the impression that it's not far off 1/3 in each category in the 6th form. I think the pastoral care is good - I've no complaints. My girls are happy and I think there's the right balance between leaving them to sort their own friendship issues out - they are teenagers after all - and keeping an eye on them. I've always been impressed by the staff's detailed knowledge of my children's activities/interests/friendships.

I suggest you talk to the school if you have detailed questions about pastoral care - it's important you are happy and what I think is ok might not work for you. But as I said earlier, my girls are very different and the school has accommodated both with ease and made them both feel that they fit in.

Ginandtonicandamassageplease Sat 15-Dec-12 09:09:49

Wellington College would be worth a look. It used to be fiercely competitive for girls to get in but now that it's co-ed it is much more inclusive.

Moominmammacat Sat 15-Dec-12 09:02:53

Queenswood in Hertofrdshire ... good for sport.

expatgal Fri 14-Dec-12 21:13:17

Its not just all the super bright chinese who get the sixth form places. Some kids joining sixth forms from overseas are actually children of expats, like my dc. There are quite a few like this who joined the school in september. Dc had offers, with healthy bursaries, from many schools but we chose one close to family which has turned out a blessing for all concerned as living in England rather than the annual visit is all very new to dc. Dc all settled and loves it.

wildirishrose Fri 14-Dec-12 18:46:01

Try Royal Masonic School for Girls, my niece had a amazing time there and came out with 11 A*

SRGR Fri 14-Dec-12 18:20:00

Dear Wobble, re assuring to hear that u re happy with the school. Do you live locally or are you from overseas. Well, we are overseas and DD has been brought up in a protected sort of environment though we are not the conservative types but there are limits defined well within the Dcs minds. She is anxious if the school has a healthy safe feel with good pastoral care. How's the house mistress with the girls and which is a good house to choose from. Is there lot of peer pressure to handle?

MrsWobble Mon 03-Dec-12 18:05:53

I have two daughters at charterhouse and am pleased with it. My girls have very different temperaments and I was concerned it might not suit the second but so far she seems to have settled quicker than her older sister. It has been a big change from their previous school - both of them have found that the boys have covered much more ground at gcse and they had to catch up. But the school recognises this as an issue and gives them time. The boarding/social side has been excellent and fits well with our family approach of benign neglect. My girls tend to stay in most weekends - I get the impression about half do.

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help with. Which house has your daughter been offered?

SRGR Mon 03-Dec-12 07:37:00

DD got into Charterhouse. Tempted to take it being close to London and a good international community!

SRGR Tue 20-Nov-12 17:28:19

Guess must be late for registrations now. Its not an easy job to pick the right school for DC even if the school picks you...can only think of a two day break to just put away all confusion or think in peace...or not think at all

Ginandtonicandamassageplease Tue 20-Nov-12 17:11:56

What about Millfield if she's sporty? Or Priorsfield is a lovely school and straight down the A3?

Very interested in grovel's views on Wellington. I'm an OW but I'm sadly inclined to agree. I was there in the "good-old-days" under a different master. Now it's co-ed and it's packed out with Ferraris rather than fourth generation Land Rovers!

SRGR Sat 17-Nov-12 05:22:27

Charterhouse and Shrewsbury and we'll know results by Dec. if one has to go by league tables, Malvern shows a dip in results over the last three years. Is it got to do with the whole negative buzz of students being expelled in 2010. I wonder.

goinggetstough Fri 16-Nov-12 19:41:47

That was meant to say....Where else did you apply?

goinggetstough Fri 16-Nov-12 19:40:40

I have friends with DCs of various abilities who are at Malvern. Their parents are very pleased with the school. The pastoral care is good so definitely keep in on your list as a serious contender. Whereas did you apply for in the end?

SRGR Fri 16-Nov-12 19:03:15

DD cleared the entrance test for Malvern. Results from other schools yet to come. Anyone with any DC at Malvern? Should one consider this seriously. DD is not very adventurous and would need a very safe environment. Any comments?

Mutteroo Fri 17-Aug-12 02:45:34

Ditto what HG said. We were 40mins (on a good day) to 1 hour away from DS school which made it easier to attend all events & also was easy to bring home of Saturdays. Find a school which offers excellent weekend activities. These encourage the weekly boarders to stay with the full boarders thus giving your Dc more friends to hang out with.

Have you thought about Roedean? Large cohort of overseas boarders in sixth form. It's in Brighton which always has a lot going on & just an hour from London. As most schools it becomes more academic in the latter years but may be worth taking a look?

happygardening Thu 16-Aug-12 22:46:49

We found from bitter experience that you don't want your DC to be at a boarding school more than 1 1/2 hours (one way) from your home/guardian/significant family. For two years our DS's boarding school was over three and a half away hours (if you were lucky with the traffic) by the time he left every journey was a chore we never attended any functions at the school including plays concerts and parent teacher meetings and any short exeat was just a nightmare. If we had to get them due to illness we were reluctant to take them back if a holiday/exeat was coming up. You feel very detached from their lives at school.
We are now about 1 and 1/4 hours away and regularly attend plays etc.
Also do look carefully into public transport links especially on Sundays we are only the next county from my DS's current school but the journey by train takes 2 1/2 hours involves at least two changes and us driving for 30 mins to the station to pick him up!
Ask yourself can you fairly comfortably get to the school to watch a play in a evening? Or can they get home for a few hours on Sunday for Mother's day or a significant birthday.

rezzle Thu 16-Aug-12 20:38:39

Realistically, within three hours you can get as far north as York, and most places in between there and London (dependent on travel links).

SRGR Thu 16-Aug-12 18:05:39

Any place within a 3 hour reach and not beyond

rezzle Thu 16-Aug-12 14:33:52

Sorry, how close do you want to be to London.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Thu 16-Aug-12 14:33:47

the drama link for King Edwards is here

rezzle Thu 16-Aug-12 14:33:30

How close do you want to be from London? It's worth remembering that most of the county (at least up to Yorkshire) is within about 2 hours of London. If you're looking for less academic/selective schools then IMO you're more likely to find them further north, although I could be completely wrong.

happygardening Thu 16-Aug-12 14:24:13

As I said lovely area and some very pretty villages we thought Stamford looked rather civilised.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Thu 16-Aug-12 14:19:12

What about King Edwards in Witley near Godalming. It is co-ed but much more relaxed than the others with a big emphasis on drama etc. At least it used to be. Near London too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now