taster courses at uni for 6th formers - what do you know?

(57 Posts)
andisa Sat 04-Feb-12 09:25:57

Hi,
My son wants to do engineering at Uni. but does not know in which speciality. He is in Yr 11 and we have heard and seen on web that Universities run taster courses. I have contacted 2 universities but they do not get back.

Have your children been on taster summer schools? How did you get enrolled? Was it helpful?

CherylCR Wed 21-Nov-12 13:42:24

If your child is interested in a career in engineering, have you had a look at the Think Power website www.thinkpowersector.co.uk. This site is here on behalf of all of the UK Power companies, all who are very keen to attract bright young engineers and scientists into the power industry. Apparently we are going to run out of skilled people in the future. Also, have a look at EDT Headstart Summer Schools - Think Power sponsor one at Lancaster University.

zamantha Thu 22-Nov-12 21:05:00

Thank you for last post. My Ds from this website went on a smallpiece course and despite reluctance loved it and we've applied for Headstart. Work experience is the next to do!

twentyten Fri 23-Nov-12 16:49:11

Thank you all for great information-much appreciated!

bruffin Fri 23-Nov-12 17:03:12

Andisa - is he year 11 or 12

If he is year 11 he can apply for arkwright engineering scholarship unfortunately year 12 too late.

But hopefully will be of interest to any other year 11s interested in a career in engineering or design.

bruffin Fri 23-Nov-12 17:04:41
twentyten Mon 08-Jul-13 21:56:35

Dd just back from head start at Warwick .really loved it! Thanks for the advice everyone.

zamantha Tue 09-Jul-13 18:05:28

My DS at Headstart at mo. in Surrey. First few hours he said he was bored and had no good convos - his text speak. However, now he has not contacted me - a day on - suggests good news! He loved Smallpiece trust last year.

Such a helpful site. Thank you Senua - got us started.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now