Word of mouth 11 plus tutor for South West London area-Please help

(27 Posts)
ROZ12 Mon 31-Oct-11 13:19:35

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate a contact for a good tutor for my daughter who is in year four. She is ok at maths and needs some 1:1 it be a great help if someone could recommend a good tutor who is patient and gets the job done.

I would like someone who has helped their child prep for eleven plus and got them into a good school. I know it also to do with the child's ability and not just the tutor. So maybe a recommendation of someone who has seen a big rise in their child's ability from a tutor. I've been on the internet but it's so hard to tell who is good I rather get someone through word of mouth.

Many Thanks

Roz

fluffycauliflower Mon 31-Oct-11 15:02:51

I don't think any one would post their tutor's details on a board like this, it is too disrespectful of the tutor's privacy. Try asking parents of older children in the area.

ROZ12 Mon 31-Oct-11 16:23:03

As I said I'm new a website or where to fin someone would be fine. I don't anyone with older children in private or grammar schools.

gazzalw Mon 31-Oct-11 18:42:49

You might be better looking on the 11+Forum under Surrey.....

We didn't use a tutor but did it ourselves.... but a tutor who works for one child might not necessarily work for another. Also as many people have posted here, sometimes as a parent you have more incentive to get your child into a grammar school than a tutor does.....

ROZ12 Mon 31-Oct-11 18:49:58

ok thanks I need to improve her maths thats moreso why I need a tutor.

Thanks

gazzalw Mon 31-Oct-11 19:54:51

Well maybe Kumon Maths would be the answer. DS has a friend who was not very good at maths but he has been astounded at how much she seems to have come on with her maths and sure it's because she's been going to Kumon Maths for the last two years.

Good luck!

DunRovin Tue 01-Nov-11 17:48:08

How far into SW London are you? I know of a lovely tutor in E Dulwich who is very good with maths.

Why would it be wrong to post a tutor's number here? Aren't they offering what is basically a service and appreciate the advertising? confused?

Many parents are extremely unwilling to pass the names of tutors they believe to be fooproof to other parents - competition!

wahwahwah Tue 01-Nov-11 17:58:27

www.hollandparktuition.com/

ChippyMinton Tue 01-Nov-11 18:04:32

Have PM'd you.

ROZ12 Tue 01-Nov-11 19:35:03

Hi Thanks all! Fluffy cauliflower you are allowedto private message me.

Thanks

squeewee Thu 03-Nov-11 11:08:33

Don't know if this is advertising - but it is recommendation from friends whose children went.
There is a few NumberWorks'nWords centres around SW London that can work towards getting 10 yr olds ready for 11+ exams. All done in a friendly, fun way focussing on getting them really good at maths and literacy plus doing a bit of VR and non VR.

Balhamum Tue 08-Nov-11 09:42:18

We used Harrison Allen tel 02088740233. The guy they sent us was lovely and my daughter did well in her tests. Hoping it works for my son this year.

kritur Tue 08-Nov-11 11:44:30

As someone who tutors (albeit more for secondary) I prefer word of mouth to be done person to person. I wouldn't be vastly happy if my details were put on a public forum. I teach full time and don't take on many students though so maybe someone who tutored full time might not mind.

sarahbarwiss35 Thu 30-May-13 13:59:28

I am new to this group. But if any parent is interested in a successful and well respected tutor I m happy to contact him on their behalf. He is a former Senior Housemaster tutors in 11 Plus English Maths Verbal and Non Verbal Reasoning, also coaches Common Entrance 13 Plus.

He has recently set up classes in Sutton Wimbledon and Kingston, also tutors Higher GCSE in Fulham Chelsea and Kensington.

I believe he has current advert in Sutton Guardian and Gumtree SW London.

Very organised, motivates and gets results.

Anyhow be happy to talk correspond with other mothers whose children are taking 11 plus. My two older boys passed 11 plus, my third son is studying for the exam at present.

Do contact me with any concerns worries about 11 plus etc be happy to pass on my knowledge of the examination. Sarah

sarahbarwiss35 Thu 30-May-13 14:08:46

I and other parents would not hesitate to recommend the above, he relates well to pupils, motivates and stretches them to reach their full
academic ability. He is good at preparing all ages up to 16. My son is being tutored by him tomorrow so happy to pass any names on.

Sarah

breadandbutterfly Sat 01-Jun-13 00:52:12

Be very dubious of those offering names of tutors on public forums or via public forums eg pms - beware people basically selling their own services (or their husband's or friends's), as the parents of those actually in competition with your dc for places may not be so helpful!

If your dc is struggling with maths, she might not be best suited to a grammar either - they are not 'magic' schools - they just get good results because the pupils start off bright not because the teaching is wildly better.

A less bright pupil there will do no better than a less bright pupil anywhere else. The teachers there are not magicians.

chloeannjanice Wed 19-Nov-14 00:17:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

katietutoring4 Sat 21-Feb-15 15:55:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

califonia Fri 08-May-15 09:29:45

Hi, I am new for 11plus. my son is in year 4. i do need to find a good tutor for English creative writing to my son. I been told there is a teacher lives in Worcesterpark name call Liz. if any one know her contact details or is anyone knows any other teacher for english, please let me know.

califonia Fri 08-May-15 09:34:25

Hi, Could you please send the tutor contact details.

califonia Fri 08-May-15 09:39:15

is any one knows a good english teacher around in Sutton area, or Kingston area or New malden. please let me know. thanks

totmum Thu 10-Dec-15 12:47:45

Hi There, Could u please pass on the tutor details you were talking here. Looking for good tutor around SW19 who is year 2 now.

thanks,

harry75 Mon 16-May-16 12:53:40

I am also looking for maths/english tutor around Chertsey KT16 area, please pass on the details if possible... Thanks in advance!

Cleo1303 Mon 16-May-16 13:44:54

Teatime Tutors are lovely, effective, and cover SW London.

amidawish Mon 16-May-16 17:09:30

ask the year 6 parents at your primary school whose children have just got into the schools you're hoping for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now