Best first laptop for secondary school?

(5 Posts)
kirlia Wed 13-Feb-13 14:09:31

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/

pleasedoitright Wed 13-Feb-13 10:14:55

Ok we bought an ASUS notebook for Christmas from PC World £465 incl VAT- my son was bumped and the laptop cracked, now repairs will be £390 and it's taken over 6 weeks to get the quote. I'm thinking of trashing the first and buying a Dell. Best advice on laptops buy durable and buy as much coverage as you can afford.

Talker2010 Mon 05-Sep-11 17:42:58

Re the computers at school ... you need to be compatible

I am a Mac-Freak and would always say buy one but I do sometimes have problems interfacing with the Windows PCs at work (Teacher)

kritur Mon 05-Sep-11 17:13:41

Are there any computers at school she can use during prep?
If so I'd be tempted just to get her a cheap netbook (about £200) as she should be able to do the more sophisticated stuff on the school computers. I doubt any school would expect parents to be getting personal licences for things like graphics packages.

franticantic Mon 05-Sep-11 14:27:52

It is likely that we will have to buy a laptop for DD1 (Yr 8) sometime soon as she is at boarding school and increasingly needs to use a computer.
Should we go for the cheapest there is, or, given the scope of things they have to do - projects, graphics etc (ie far more than just word docs) should we get something like a Mac? Any tips gratefully received (she is reasonably computer literate - unlike her mother blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now