Boy's school bag for secondary school

(53 Posts)
Vulgar Mon 01-Aug-11 11:32:38

Following on from the girl's school bag thread . . . what is a good bag for a boy going into year 7?

I suggested a rucksack but was met with a snort of derision. I think he fancies a vinyl messenger style one but what makes/designs are on trend the thing to have for boys at secondary? DS is a bit unworldly and also a bit quirky and probably doesn't want to stand out too much <massively overthinking this>

Roshbegosh Sat 15-Jun-13 10:49:07

In this part of north London they all have nike or Adidas bags. I hate all this label stuff but it is a big deal to them.

DS1 is 13 and fairly 'cool'. He insists on a backpack with padded straps, which he wears on both shoulders. He usually carries 5kg, often more like 8kg, and he walks 1.5 miles each way. On PE / games days, the rucksack is full to capacity and it's 30L.

JenaiMorris Sat 15-Jun-13 11:19:35

Mine too, Three. A messenger bag just wouldn't be big enough, anyway.

They don't wear coats. Wait and see what everyone else wears, when it hits -10°.

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Jun-13 11:27:42

Ds1 started in Year 8 with a messenger bag but is now in Year 9 and has an Animal rucksack. No coat-that's not the done thing. hmm

SoupDragon Sat 15-Jun-13 11:28:43

Mine have the Superdry messenger type bags. They also use a black Animal backpack when they need a more practical bag or, in D1's case, have a broken arm which made the messenger style awkward.

Coat wise, they are happy with black ski jackets. DS1 also has a Superdry windcheater type.

A lot will depend on whether he has the use of a locker at school - DSs both do.

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Jun-13 11:31:31

Good point about lockers Soup. DS has one at his current school but not at his previous one. So lugging about a rucksack, PE kit, stuff for cooking and a coat not great. sad

JenaiMorris Sat 15-Jun-13 11:38:22

No lockers at ours. And yes, cooking is always on a PE day grin

JenaiMorris Sat 15-Jun-13 11:41:25

And lunch of course, I forgot that.

Sooo, PE kit, cooking stuff, books and pencil case, raincoat thing, packed lunch.

Ds seems alright though, despite my hand wringing before he started.

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Jun-13 11:55:35

Ooh and a massive art project that doesn't fit in any sort of bag, and football kit for after school footy Jenai. wink

eatyourveg Sat 15-Jun-13 21:35:23

most of the dc I see coming off the busses are carrying bags like these

ashley69ly Sun 16-Jun-13 18:31:14

Might be worth walking past the school at the beginning or end of the day and having a look at the bags etc. I have a niece and nephew at high school in a different area of the country from us and it was only when i was speaking to their Mum that i realized how different the trends are in different places. At my daughters' school nearly all the girls wear trousers but apparently at my nieces school it's not the thing to do and they all wear skirts. The no coat thing seems to be pretty universal though!

LondonBus Sun 16-Jun-13 18:34:34

I got DS an Animal rucksack for Y7

We then had to buy a SuperDry messenger bag for Y8 (one per term, as they kept breaking, even though they cost £40)

Y9 has seen the return of a rucksack but only if it's the cool type. Apparently SkullCandy is cool.

MortifiedAdams Sun 16-Jun-13 18:36:46

Take a detour past the school at kicking out time with your ds and see what sort of bags are used?

LondonBus Sun 16-Jun-13 18:36:51

OK, and I just have to share this....I pass a super selective grammar school on my way to work, and one lad who looks about 15/16yo has a Cath Kidson rucksack.

I really can't figure out if he's so totally ubber cool that he gets away with it, or is an incredible geek who really don't care, and has just borrowed his mums bag.

MortifiedAdams Sun 16-Jun-13 18:42:38
JetJungle Sun 16-Jun-13 18:47:17

Fred Perry messenger bag is the pinnacle at DS's school. It has lasted very well considering how much stuff he carts back and forth (Yr 10). About &#65505;40 online.

JetJungle Sun 16-Jun-13 18:49:55

i.e. 40 quid!

SoupDragon Sun 16-Jun-13 19:07:23

LondonBus DSs have had two Superdry bags break. I just took them back and they were replaced with no quibble.

LondonBus Sun 16-Jun-13 19:43:33

I wouldn't dare return a school bag DS had broken, as I know what he does with his stuff!

invicta Mon 17-Jun-13 17:36:48

Mine has a messenger bag for books etc, and a rucksack for pe stuff.

LondonBus Mon 17-Jun-13 21:42:30

A messenger bag isn't big enough for books PE kit and lunch.

MortifiedAdams Mon 17-Jun-13 22:11:37

Most lads at my school carried a boot bag with their pe kit on pe days - who wants sweaty pe kit round their books? And pe is usuakky only on two days a week.

SonorousBip Tue 18-Jun-13 16:26:20

My DS, who is moderately cool but does not have particularly strong views, surprised me by telling me quite firmly that he wanted a messenger bag for Big School (obviously he does not call in Big School, but we do, which annoys him).

I noted that I thought a rucksack would be better (I bit back the words "more sensible") and was met with a look like this hmm.

I was entertained to see in the stuff sent from the school about uniforms and inductions it said "School bag - we will discuss this with you at the induction day". I will put good money on the fact that they will say "Your ds will tell you he wants a messenger bag but actually he needs a rucksack". smile

Will report back!

mimbleandlittlemy Tue 18-Jun-13 17:36:46

Marking place for your report Sonorous as this is causing more anxiety on my part than any other bit of the secondary transfer.

Well, I might as well fixate on something.

vess Tue 18-Jun-13 17:48:13

I got DS, 13, a Jansport Big Student (practical choice), let him choose the colour/pattern and he seems happy. It fits the PE kit (in a separate compartment) and all the books. He cycles to school, so a rucksack makes a lot more sence than a messenger type bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now