Aldenham School

(14 Posts)
orson Tue 19-Apr-11 19:41:47

Hi, does anyone have any up to date experience of Aldenham School. My DD is in year 5 so we really have to start making some choices. We have looked at Aldenham a couple of times and been impressed the main concern we have
is the very high percentage of boys to girls - not sure if this could be a problem or not she says it does not bother her. At the moment she is not particularly girlie and not boy aware - AS YET! Any info would be much appreciated.

Earlybird Tue 19-Apr-11 20:01:16

Bumping for you.

I have friends who sent their son there, and they/he loved it. Can't help with information about how it is for girls.

Maybe someone with knowledge will see this and offer their advice. Good luck.

orson Wed 20-Apr-11 08:54:01

Thanks Earlybird, it is tricky getting this kind of behind the scenes knowledge.

isteaready Wed 20-Apr-11 16:07:39

Hi there,

My friend's son went to Aldenham, he as now at uni, so I don't know if this is still happening. They were pleased with the school and he did well, but at the time he was there the days were very long with compulsory after school activities until 6ish, on most days I think, also I seem to remember Saturday mornings. When he was younger in year 7/8 he found this very tiring.

Appologies if this is no longer relevent, he's 20 now!!!!!

orson Wed 20-Apr-11 18:12:51

Thanks all good to know, I believe Saturday school has stopped, I think I will be lucky to hear from any girls or girls parents at the school as there are so few.

JumpJockey Fri 22-Apr-11 07:44:04

A friend of mine is teaching there (until she goes on ML) and says it has a great atmosphere. Not academically hugely challenging, but the kids are very happy. If you've got any specific questions post them here and I can ask her if you like?

Sportsmum Fri 22-Apr-11 07:54:34

Have friends with sons there and they are blissfully happy. Saturday school has stopped - but there will be some matches on Saturdays. Have been up there for matches and the girls look just as happy as the boys, especially when they beat some of the boys' teams in hockey! Lovely school.

orson Fri 22-Apr-11 11:14:12

Thanks sounds a great school. JumpJockey if your friend can think of any pros and cons on the excessive amount of boys to girls would love to hear.

valegro Wed 17-Oct-12 14:05:07

I know this is an old thread but I have the same question - what is like for girls at Aldenham School, the ones we met at open day seemed happy and confident, but with such a small female intake are there issues with friendships etc?

Any experiences?

meena2014 Sun 16-Mar-14 14:18:25

Had a bad experience recently!! Would not recomend this school to anyone!!
Went for assesment and my son was not upset so he did
Not go in.
They were so unhelpful! Did not even give is a chance to calm him. Just ealked off leaving us alone by the cladsroom and said he was not ready!!
Paid money for the assesment did not axpect such an unprofessinal attitude froma private school!
Just shows what kind of a school it isandhiwmuch carethey would have shown to my son!
I am not sure if they did this as iam asian! Sure felt like that!!

meena2014 Sun 16-Mar-14 14:24:27

Had a bad experience recently!! Would not recomend this school to anyone!!
Went for assesment and my son was not upset so he did
Not go in.
They were so unhelpful! Did not even give is a chance to calm him. Just walked off leaving us alone by the cladsroom and said he was not ready!!
Paid money for the assesment did not axpect such an unprofessinal attitude froma private school!
Just shows what kind of a school it is and how much care they would have shown to my son!
I am not sure if they did this as i am asian! Sure felt like that!!

donnie Mon 17-Mar-14 19:01:32

So,,,is it a racist school then? that's a pretty serious allegation .

Changeofanothername Mon 17-Mar-14 19:35:58

This is a zombie thread revived by someone who has posted about her negative experience in the past. As an Aldenham parent with a child in the prep school I am extremely surprised to read about Meena's experience. My younger child has been through the assessment experience this year and other children in the group were crying too. They went with the teacher who came back to us a few minutes later to reassure the parents that the child was fine and had settled and all returned perfectly happy with no signs of distress.

The prep school is a lovely environment with truly outstanding pastoral care. We could not fault it pastorally in any way. It's fairly small and it's relatively non selective and this is reflected in the fact that it's not as academic as other local preps and there are parents who question whether their children are pushed enough although we are more than happy with our child's progress. Due to it's size it can also be slightly claustrophobic for some children as there is definitely an element of micromanaging situations. This suits some children like our child who thrives with that level of attention but our younger will be going to another prep school as we feel it will be too intense.

However, it absolutely is not racist in any way. It's a highly multicultural school with children of all races and religions and is a reflection of the local area - Asian families in the school are a significant minority, at least 25% I would estimate.

I can't speak for the senior school - I'm yet to seriously consider it but for anyone considering it my feeling is that it's still quite a boys school with girls as opposed to truly co-ed. Again, perfect for some, not for others.

LAK11 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:28:36

OK I have a year 9 boy at Aldenham and I have to say it is a fantastic school and I do not for one minute believe what has been said. Fair enough if child has gone for the entrance exam (not assessment) how the hell are they supposed to let one child hold up all the others sitting the exams? Is this prep? pre-prep or senor school? On the racist note, get a grip. The mix at the school in my son's year is Asian - Indian/Pakistani, Asian - Japanese/Chinese, others - Greek, Russian, English, Turkish, Iranian. As for religions all the usual north London religions are represented - Cof E, Catholic, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, Greek Orthodox... sigh. It is still a majority of boys. I would not hesitate to recommend the school. As for the school not being academic my friends daughter 'only' got 3 As at GCSE, the rest were A*....... I rest my case. They cater for all and the kids are so confident and happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now