Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

waiting lists grammar schools

(44 Posts)
whathappened Tue 05-Apr-11 13:48:52

Hi, My dd is quite high on waiting list for our local grammar school.First dd to go through this so i am a bit unsure of how this all works.school told me some people sit on their places until the last moment,why do people do this?I know people are entitled to do this but just curious why.also how long would you wait on a waiting list before giving up? We have a good comprehensive as back up but want my daughter to start getting excited about the school she is going to be attending.many thanks

gazzalw Fri 10-May-13 11:22:34

Good for you! Fingers crossed indeed! How is your DS feeling?

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 10-May-13 11:07:51

End of June. I have everything crossed!!

gazzalw Fri 10-May-13 10:38:55

When is the appeal Couthy? Sometimes miracles do happen....

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 10-May-13 00:40:38

It's just such a shame he was so ill, and lost marks. Thing is, there's usually ONLY 5 places movement from the waiting list, and there's already been 8. So I'm not holding my breath for the waiting list. Still have the appeal to go...

gazzalw Thu 09-May-13 11:00:25

11 points separated DS (who got in) from school friends who just missed out on passing 11+ exams - for the school DS goes to...That's neither here nor there in the scheme of things is it?

tiggytape Thu 09-May-13 10:49:44

Well done Couthy - fingers crossed for some more movement soon.

And as gazza says the score situation is very common.
A lot of the children applying are equally bright. There will be a few with very top scores and a few with very low scores but mainly, the children will be clustered around the same few marks.

The posts you see on other threads about the 11+ sorting the wheat from the chaff totally ignores the fact that the difference between those who pass and those who fail might be less than 1 full mark!

gazzalw Thu 09-May-13 10:45:21

Good news, CouthySaysEastChoccyEggs - slowly but surely - hoping he gets in....At least he's moving in the right direction!

"It seems hard to believe that in the one mark between the last child admitted on March 1st, and DS's mark just one mark lower, there were 18 people!!"

No it doesn't - such is the nature of the competition. We know DS scored the cut off mark and there were at least 8 boys above him (initially) and possibly others below him on the waiting list (we only live in next Borough to where his super-selective is...), quite apart from those who lived closer who got in with the same mark on Offers Day....

In DS's school's somewhere in an Admissions Booklet it clearly stated that you could end up with up to 50 boys with the same score!!!

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Thu 09-May-13 10:39:34

On offer day, the last child admitted had a score of 338.4__ (? I think). DS1's score was 337.171.

In between that child with a score of 338.4__, and my DS1 with a score of 337.171, there were 17 other DC's who scored either 338.something and 337.2...

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Thu 09-May-13 10:35:53

Update - DS1 has moved from 18th to 10th on the waiting list for CRGS. It seems hard to believe that in the one mark between the last child admitted on March 1st, and DS's mark just one mark lower, there were 18 people!!

gazzalw Tue 07-May-13 09:51:31

it should have said you're rather than you've....

gazzalw Tue 07-May-13 09:50:04

Thanks Tiggytape - you've a star!

tiggytape Tue 07-May-13 09:01:14

They keep two waiting lists, one for catchment and one for out of catchment, so girls in catchment do not get priority as such on the waiting list - they have their own list.

It is debateable as to who has the advantage. The out of catchment girls apply from such a vast area that there's bound to be at least a couple who listed and accepted WGS but who later have second thoughts about travelling hours and hours to school each day so accept something closer to home.
But then some in-catchment girls are also in catchment for Nonsuch and so are more likely to get another grammar school offer from waiting lists to tempt them to give up their WGS place than perhaps girls out of catchment who have less grammar options in general.

gazzalw Tue 07-May-13 07:52:04

Tiggytape, I wonder how the waiting list for in-catchment/outside catchment works? I know that those out of catchment for WHS have to score a lot higher (comparatively) than those within catchment - or have I got that wrong (or is it more complicated - I am assuming that some of the girls in catchment could be right at the top of the 11+ exam results too)?

So my question to anyone in the know is this: how is the waiting list managed - as an entire list or as two distinct ones for in/out-of catchment?

It all seems very complicated. It is also possible that one would be more likely to secure a place from one over the other waiting list???

tiggytape Mon 06-May-13 22:31:52

That should read:
If 5 of the out of catchment girls who have already accepted a place at WGS....

tiggytape Mon 06-May-13 22:31:03

ce09ssa - there is one list for girls out of catchment and one for girls in catchment.

If 5 of the girls who have already accepted a place at WGS inform the council that they nolonger want their place, your daughter will get offered a place.
But that does depend on 5 people who have currently accepted changing their minds (eg is they get a better offer or have an offer for a private school which they eventually accept).

There is no way to guess how long you may need to wait. It may happen in the next few weeks, not until late Summer / September or not at all. Being 5th on the list gives you plenty of reasons to be optimistic but isn't a cast iron guarantee of a place.

ce09ssa Mon 06-May-13 22:18:11

Hi everyone,

I am still awaiting for a response from WGS. My DS is 5th on the waiting list under 'out of catchment' criteria. I phoned last week as well but same reply that waiting list hasn't moved yet. Can somebody please clarify that is there different waiting list for each criteria or one waiting list for every body??????????? How long do I have to wait? cdnmn.com/emo/te/11.gif

gazzalw Mon 06-May-13 20:23:23

Yikes just lost my email!

wink to you Piggywigwig although alarming to think that your observation could reflect "the shape of things to come" with waiting lists. It wouldn't surprise me though. Very sad and frustrating for all those hanging so near and yet so far on the lists.....

Tiggytape, you have an astonishing memory! You are perfectly right. Yes, DS must have been very lucky to hear so quickly.....

breward Sun 05-May-13 19:08:52

My son has a place at grammar school and scored highly enough to achieve a place at every Essex grammar school ( even CCHS, if only he were a girl!) apart from kegs, where he missed the cut off by half a mark. However, kegs is our local school and is in walking distance, shsb is a fabulous school but is a 45 minute bus ride away. We would just like to save him from 90 minutes on a bus each day.

As an aside, I have just heard that a boy was offered a kegs place yesterday... We are now 3 rd on the w/l!

piggywigwig Sun 05-May-13 13:07:26

..the sun has definitely gone to my head grin I should have said

Let's give a better example, let's say the 98th (ie last) boy got in on 339.401 - the 5th on the waiting list may have scored 339.391

piggywigwig Sun 05-May-13 12:59:42

..btw I know my example doesn't reflect 0.001 lol!

piggywigwig Sun 05-May-13 12:58:45

gazzalw
"Ignore me - not sure that last comment of mine makes sense blush...

At the end of the day "quite high" on a waiting list could to my mind mean anywhere twixt 1st and probably about 25th.

All I know is that by this time last year we had known for six weeks that DS had got his desired school place, from being 9th of the waiting list. From what I can glean on here and the 11+Forum, this year, as you have rightly said Piggywigwig, things seem to be moving very much slower.....

That is of no help to parents and DCs desperate for news...who may be sitting on waiting lists for months sad"

I wouldn't ignore you smile

I sadly think that what's happening this year with waiting lists, is going to set the trend for a good few years to come and the golden years of lists moving, and a real glimmer of hope, are gone. I truly feel for parents who are waiting on lists and for appeals.

Vishyrich
" often excelling in a normal school is better than barely scraping past in a grammar, I should know since I attend one, to be honest you need hard graft either way"

Whilst I know where you're coming from, the reality for let's say, the 5 children who get through on a waiting list for superselectives like Colchester County High for Girls or Colchester Royal Grammar for Boys, is that they're not going to struggle because what separated them from the children who got in to the school on National Offer's Day, is probably the difference between 0.001 of a mark. That's how tough it is and how close the marks are. Let's give a better example, let's say the 98th (ie last) boy got in on 339.345 - the 5th on the waiting list may have scored 339.401. The margins are quite simply that small. He's not likely to struggle and may in fact do better than a boy who scored 350 on the day.

Vishyrich Sun 05-May-13 01:22:13

I think you should really be looking at the child's welfare, joining a school late is never nice, and although it is understandable you want your child to have a good start, often excelling in a normal school is better than barely scraping past in a grammar, I should know since I attend one, to be honest you need hard graft either way

tiggytape Sat 04-May-13 10:40:31

gazza - I think your list moved much quicker than most last year.
I remember (but I may be wrong) that one of the reasons for this was that your school was 'naughty' and sent out fresh offers from the list direct instead of going through the official process of informing the council and then waiting for them to issue new offers letters (which they did very slowly for other schools - weeks passing between notification and a letter going out).

It does seem that some schools this year have virtually zero movment though so you could well be right about the pattern overall.

gazzalw Sat 04-May-13 09:41:51

Ignore me - not sure that last comment of mine makes sense blush...

At the end of the day "quite high" on a waiting list could to my mind mean anywhere twixt 1st and probably about 25th.

All I know is that by this time last year we had known for six weeks that DS had got his desired school place, from being 9th of the waiting list. From what I can glean on here and the 11+Forum, this year, as you have rightly said Piggywigwig, things seem to be moving very much slower.....

That is of no help to parents and DCs desperate for news...who may be sitting on waiting lists for months sad

piggywigwig Fri 03-May-13 21:30:47

gazzalw
"I have no doubt though that significant changes overall to the admissions system have probably tightened things up so you don't get the 'maybes' sitting on places for months on end."

I'm not being rude but I genuinely don't understand how the changes last year have made a difference to people sitting on places?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now