Ibstock Place School

(34 Posts)
popkitarch Thu 24-Feb-11 20:01:01

DD has been offered a place at IPS, which we all LOVE. However, we are slightly out of the usual intake area in Clapham. Not really too far away and the distance is not really an issue for us. But as we do not know that many people there we do not have an inside track. Any informed opinions out there to help us? confused

We are leaning towards Ibstock now. But I hear such mixed things. Some say they are really pushing the children. Others say "if you are looking for a pushy school, this is not it". I guess that really is totally down to differences in the children?

Belltree Mon 04-Mar-13 12:27:54

Hi - apologies if I'm butting in as I don't (currently) have any children at Ibstock. It just seems to me that gut instinct is the most important thing here. No school is 100% perfect and you will always here some negative things from some parents, so when it comes down to it if you have a 'feel' for a place I think that has to be your guide. For what it's worth I've met people who aren't happy with the middle school, but parents and DC at the senior school always seem very happy with their choice.

Thanks Belltree!

indeepkimchee Tue 19-Mar-13 20:55:31

I've caught onto this thread late, but would like to add that I think Ibstock Place School is a wonderful choice and winning a place, particularly to the senior school, is a golden opportunity for any bright child. The seniors at IPS would say how amazing they think the school is, how much they get on with their teachers and how 'cool' it is. It is in beautiful surroundings. I wish I had gone to the school myself!

lomusyd Sat 20-Jul-13 06:35:41

Hi there, we are currently living overseas and considering a move back to London. My daughter has been offered a place at Ibstock in year 4 but I am worried about the community side of things and playdates after school etc. Does anyone know where the families live. We are thinking of Richmond but is that too far away?

Elibean Sun 21-Jul-13 14:21:04

Hi - there are lots of Ibstock pupils in Barnes (SW13), but I imagine there would certainly be families in Richmond too. It's right by Richmond Park, so an easy drive away.

Elibean Sun 21-Jul-13 14:23:53

Should also add, in case anyone is going by Pistachio's experience, IPS has changed an awful lot in the past 10-15 years.

When I was a student at Froebel College, over the road, it was the Froebel School - very child centered, creative, etc. It has grown, but more importantly has a Head who was brought in partly to make the school more lucrative and more sought after. I wouldn't say it was Froebelian anymore, tbh (went to look round the primary for dd a few years ago, and left disappointed).

Copthallresident Sun 21-Jul-13 17:45:10

lomusyd we were formerly expats and Ibstock has been a well trodden path into UK education for many expat families seeking something akin to an International School in ethos. Plenty of Richmond families.

However as elibean has highlighted the current Head has put the school on the trajectory of being a more traditional academic indie, and there are plenty of other schools that do that job, there may be another that would suit your DCs better. The reality no longer matches the image in expat circles. In particular the Head is not interested in the school providing anything beyond the bare minimum of support for those DCs with Learning Difficulties (in stark contrast with more selective academic schools), and actively discourages pupils who have a diagnosis staying / joining. You may not think that will be an issue for your DC but frankly that does not inspire much confidence in their educational strategies for nurturing the potential of individual pupils.

jtwins123 Wed 22-Jan-14 16:28:20

copthallresident - I completely agree! I have just looked around the junior school and was very disappointed and will not be sending my children there. It seems very very pushy with children streamed for maths from year 4 or 5 I think! they will also ask children to leave at 7, 11 and during the senior school if they feel they are not capable of straight A*s! I think they are trying to climb the league tables but at the expense of the children. If your child is super bright and you are looking for a high pressure environment then this may be the school for you but if you want a small, happy school where the aim is to bring out the best in every child (like me) then i suggest you look else where.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now