Bedford High School for Girls - any knowledge or experience?

(60 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Fri 04-Feb-11 08:48:06

Was interested as they do the IB, and also close to grandparents if they end up boarding.

redskyatnight Fri 04-Feb-11 10:35:26

Don't have any personal knowledge ... but have posted to say that they are in the process of being merged with Dame Alice Harpur school (also a Harpur trust school for girls). The prep school has already merged (from Sept 2010) and the senior school will merge from Sept 2011. And the merged school (Bedford Girls' School) will not take boarders.

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 04-Feb-11 11:07:05

Well, that answers that one. Back to the drawing board. There is, unhelpfully, nothing about this on their website.

CheesedoffBedford Wed 20-Apr-11 20:12:09

Dear Mrsschadenfreude,
would look elsewhere if I were you, things aren't going too well, and that's before the senior school merged. Lots of girls have apparently left from High school to go to Bedford Modern. Have not heard a bad word about this school and very strong academically.
Girls from traditional catchment areas outside of Bedford going to alternatives such as Perse (Cambridge) Northampton High School and Kimbolton.

MillsAndDoom Wed 20-Apr-11 22:11:46

I was going to suggest Kimbolton if you want boarding or Northampton High School if you want a girls school.

Not sure which direction GPs are but there is also http://www.thorntoncollege.com/ just outside MK

exclaremont Thu 12-May-11 21:38:24

Oh dear god don't go there. I went and was scarred for life. It was HORRIBLE. I then went to Kimbolton and had a great time - where would you rather be educated - next to a prison on a main road or in a Vanbrugh Castle with Adam gateway and more pubs than you could possibly believe for such a small town!

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 12-May-11 22:17:14

Right! That's Bedford crossed off my list. Have friends with DDs at Thornton, who are very happy with the school, so will have a think about that. Also thinking about having a look at Headington, and will look at Kimbolton too.

FozzieMK Mon 16-May-11 17:55:26

Given my own experience of Thornton I would look at Headington and Kimbolton first.

frogs Mon 16-May-11 19:41:00

Mrs S (are you the Mrs S who is friends with MI?) -- I would only choose Thornton if I had a dd who was a bit of a delicate flower, ie not excessively bright but in need of a lot of encouraging and nurturing to reach her potential. Headington is a COMPLETELY different kind of school -- PPH has a dd at headington, I think, though she posts under a different username now. She's still on FB I think. afaik they've been v. happy with H.

Kimbolton v. different again, though my info probably a bit out of date.

mrswoodentop Tue 17-May-11 08:47:36

Have you thought about St Helen and St Katherine in Abingdon or is that the wrong area ,we have friends who are very happy there ,they certainly used to do boarding.Or going the other way what about the cambridge schools

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 17-May-11 12:51:08

Frogs - yes! Have been in touch with PPH about Headington, and will definitely consider it.

Fozzie - oh dear - that doesn't sound great. Have friends with DDs at Thornton and they seem quite happy with it.

mrswoodentop Tue 17-May-11 14:08:08

Thornton is a lovely school but basically is not really for the academically able.I am sure it does have some very bright girls but is more for the gentle non academics I think

manicinsomniac Thu 19-May-11 22:31:10

Bedford has come in for a lot of criticism since the merger. At the prep school where I work at one family left for Bedford then came back!

We also lost several girls to Thornton at 11+. One has come back and I know of a few others who are planning to move on again or who have not settled well. I believe it is a lovely school though, just not for everyone (sport not that strong, only one drama production every other year etc).

manicinsomniac Thu 19-May-11 22:32:02

Have you thought about Bloxham or St Edwards?

ColdGlassofWine Sun 03-Jun-12 21:37:53

I'm replying a year after the original post but just wanted to give an update. Bedford High senior school has now been merged for a year and become Bedford Girls's School. It has gone from being a fantastic school to one which is truly appalling. The leadership is weak,the change in site has lead to atrocious facilities, huge class sizes and cost cutting at every opportunity. I don't know a parent who is happy with it. Don't touch with a barge pole , it's just not worth the money. Kimbolton, Bedford Modern, Northampton High would be far better choices for anyone living in this area.

JUBEE0412 Thu 09-Aug-12 10:58:43

Really couldn't disagree more with the comment above. The merger went seamlessly and my children within a week said they felt as if they'd been all together for years?! All of the parents I associate with also have had a good experience and are more than pleased with the leadership. I truly believe that when choosing a school for your child you need to see it for yourself anyway. This discussion just shows how opinions can be polar apart and you should trust your own instincts when deciding upon your daughters education.

FozzieMK Thu 09-Aug-12 15:41:24

I have a few friends with children at Bedford Girls, most of them are unhappy with the new school for the same reasons that ColdGlass lists. Quite a few girls from my daughters school used to go to either Dame Alice or Bedford High for sixth form, this year there is only one moving to Bedford Girls.

proudworkingmum Tue 14-Aug-12 16:03:53

Like JUBEE0412, I couldn't disagree more with the comments from ColdGlassofWine and FozzieMK, we think the new Bedford Girls School is fantastic.

The school has great facilities and vision - they've built a new purpose built music house and a friend on the PTA told me they're looking at a recital hall as well. Not only does the school have a swimming pool on site for PE lessons, but I believe they are keeping the old pool from the High School for elite swimmers for the next 10 years as well. There is a playing field is on site, which was not true for the old High School and they have access to another larger site a couple of miles down the road. The whole site is much more spacious and modern than the old High School which was landlocked next to the prison and didn't have a single blade of grass on site. The range of sports and the arts available to the girls is just fantastic (I wish I had the same opportunities, when I was at school!).

The Headmistress seems providing great leadership and direction to her team and they are focussing on girls' education by providing amazing opportunities such as offering both A Level and IB.

The thing we really noticed through the merger process is that the High School had very little computer equipment which we always felt was inappropriate for our girls in today's world. The new school has an interactive teaching board in every classroom and a virtual environment for homework and sharing ideas amongst the girls, the teachers seem really enthusiastic about using IT and how it can support the learning for their subjects.

We actually think the merger process which was unsettling for the girls and staff at both schools has been handled really well - none of our initial fears came to pass and the school is going from strength to strength. Both my girls have very close friends from both Dame Alice and the High School, there is no distinction now, it is very much one school.

If you're looking for a local school for your girls, you'd be doing yourself a real disservice to not look at Bedford Girls School and then decide for yourself which suits your girls best.

FozzieMK Wed 15-Aug-12 19:14:52

Well I guess you can only speak as you find proudworkingmum. As I said previously I have 4 friends with girls at the school who would completely disagree with your opinion. I also know parents at my daughters school who looked at Bedford Girls for 6th form and decided against it for virtually the same reasons that coldglassofwine stated. It doesn't hurt to pass on opinions to prospective parents so that they can be on the lookout when viewing schools. Personally I always find glowing reports slightly suspect.

50shades1 Wed 15-Aug-12 22:10:44

I'm afraid I was left with no option but to remove my daughter from Bedford Girls' school this summer term which I did not do lightly. I personally don't think the site is spacious , not when 1200 girls are crammed into it. My daughter had to queue to go up and down the stairs and at the end of the day rush to the lockers quickly to get anywhere near them , the girls call this 'locker crush' as the area is so overcrowded . Class sizes are 25 which i think is high for a private school.
When teachers were off sick on a number of occassions no supply
cover would turn up, when I complained about this to the deputy head I was told that it was impossible to know if a class had a teacher present if it was down the end of a corridor , friends and I listened to this comment in horror and suggest that a career change in PR would not be a good move for her ... The pool looks like some 1970's relic and the sports hall is from bygone era that I can't recognise. The sports facilities at the previous high school site were vastly superior . 17 members of staff left the school this summer term, sadly these tended to be the better ones and the fantastic head of the junior school left too ?!!!
I have many friends of ex high school girls who are desperately unhappy with the new school. The high school was a very special place with a distinct traditional ethos, gone are the days of singing Jerusalem, the new school has a projector that comes down and the girls clap like crazy to evangelical happy clappy songs- ahhhhh. My daughter was accosted by drunks when returning from the new music school which is down the road from the main site and during the summer term on the small patch of grass the school owns a man exposed himself and worse through the fence while a group of them enjoyed the sunshine !!!! So not the best year in my opinion !!! We're looking forward to moving on to pastures new in September.

I went to Dame Alice ... It is devastating to hear that so much has been lost in the merger.

futureunknown Mon 20-Aug-12 07:25:44

I went to Bedford High back in the 1970s when it was very highly regarded. I was so proud of the place. Very sad to hear all this.

cheesedoffnow Wed 05-Sep-12 11:26:20

I also went to Dame Alice and am appalled at how the merger has been handled. By, the way, the person who commented on the swimming pool is spot on, my MOTHER helped to raise money to have it built when she was in the sixth form.

cheesedoff when were you at DAHS? I left summer 1999.

cheesedoffnow Thu 06-Sep-12 10:13:36

Ooooh, much longer ago than that ... Having said that I was amazed that a couple of the teachers I had had were still there up to a year or two ago.

mkshopper Fri 07-Sep-12 18:11:18

Hey Proudworkingmum, noticed you said about Bedford Girls School - "they have access to another larger site a couple of miles down the road"

You mean - the lacrosse fields at Beverley Crescent ? Beautiful aren't they.

"Bedford Charity (Harpur trust)" has applied for planning permission to build 205 homes there. Good to see their priorities.

Of course you will have known being a parent, but just in case ....

www.portal.bedford.gov.uk/internet/environment/planning/planning%20applications/plans%202011/11%2002000%2011%2002999/11%2002600%20-%2011%2002699/11%2002675%20eia/11%2002675%20eia%20app%20form/11%2002675%20EIA%20APP%20FORM.pdf

50shades1 Fri 07-Sep-12 23:07:58

I'm just so relieved that I've removed my dd after seeing mkshoppers information about the harper trust selling off the beautiful high school playing fields in a further effort to cost cut and leave the school with truly appalling facilities. I heard the school sang Jerusalem for the first time ever at the beginning of this term which after my earlier post makes me wonder if the head is a follower of mumsnet !!! Thankfully my dd having amazing time in new school which is infinitely better than BGS in every way. It's a shame the girls of Bedford are so let down when the boys school is so good. I really hope things start to improve for all the girls still there.

mightyproudpapabear Tue 11-Sep-12 19:11:20

We removed our dd part of the way through the year from Bedford Girls' School and are currently being sued by Harpur Trust (and we have paid them over £150,000 in school fees for our dds over the years!!), so not a big fan myself sad. Opted for Berkhamsted smile. 15-19 minutes on train from Bletchley. Fabulously fab school. Youngest dd however complains - "I hate Berko - they make me wear my glasses". Enough said.

50shades1 Tue 11-Sep-12 20:06:24

Glad to hear ,mightyproud, that Berko working for your girls, it does look like a great school. We withdrew our dd with a terms notice, however two other girls were pulled out of her class last term without parents giving any notice as I think they were so pissed off with the school so I suspect the Harpur Trust is very busy trying to sue lots of families !!!

lostinthetunnelcloakroom Tue 11-Sep-12 22:41:51

I was at Dame Alice too and it was lovely - quite traditional, and we sang hymns every day, including Jerusalem. I'm sorry to hear things have gone badly since they had to absorb Bedford High in the merger.

To be fair, Bedford High did used to sell itself partly on its poshness, not only on being academic (their prospectus at one point used to boast about how many of their girls had brothers at Bedford School), so I'm sure there are a good few High School parents who were appalled at the move to the Dame Alice site just because they've always seen Dame Alice as more downmarket.

Having said that, I would never dismiss all criticism as being down to that attitude - if it's the same swimming pool that was there when I was then, like a previous poster said, it's definitely old now! And teachers and management can change (or be mixed up with staff from a merging school) and make a school unrecognisable, which is a terrible shame.

Lost ... I absolutely love your name smile

Sparrows12 Sun 07-Oct-12 07:54:13

Lost - ime very few parents decided between these schools on the basis of perceived "poshness or otherwise". DAHS used to be the school for musicians and the high school was the best place for girls who were into competitive sport, but apart from that it really came down to which suited best in terms of parking and the morning commute. Anyway, it's all ancient history now. The issues here are really little to do with infrastructure and facilities but much more about the need for strong, inspirational leadership - eg the playing school sale has been on the cards for ages - but it is a massive "communication fail" not to have been up front about it with parents, especially when rebuilding trust is so important.

cheesedoffnow Wed 10-Oct-12 10:11:21

Rebuilding trust indeed. It seems that Bedford Girls School is taking more or less anyone in the Junior school to bolster numbers and cash (see article in Beds on Sunday re rowing) and at the same time asking those whose results don't come up to scratch much later to leave.

This policy is decimating the numbers at St Andrews school and is in great danger of leaving those who aren't so academic high and dry later on with potentially no alternative.

fait Wed 10-Oct-12 12:27:49

There are now three schools in the consortium - Bedford Modern, Bedford Boys and Bedford Girls. The ONLY ONE that is turning children away (including siblings if they don't reach the standard) is Bedford Modern. The others are pretty much accepting anyone willing to pay. I suspect the results coming out in four or five years time will reflect this.

I would recommend BMS whole heartedly.

SelkieFishwick Wed 10-Oct-12 14:32:03

Hi Fait, do you have children at BMS? My friend's daughter didn't get through the girls school assessment but was accepted by BMS and another couple of friends have moved their girls from BMS to the girls school, so I thought the girls school was more selective than the coed?

My dd will be Year 7 in 2014 and I'm looking at both but I'm worried that everyone says there are hardly any girls at BMS and it's a bit macho?

Wigeon Wed 10-Oct-12 14:38:05

I went to Bedford High! smile Was there 1988-1997. Was a bit sad that it has now merged and the site has closed and sorry to hear that some parents aren't happy with the new school.

And they are going to build on the playing fields at Beverley Cresent! shock not that I particularly liked playing hockey on a freezing winter's day or was any good at sport

fait Wed 10-Oct-12 15:38:26

My son went to BMS - and whilst there some of his friends had siblings that did not get in - which is unheard of at the other two Harpur Trust schools.

I know two children who failed the BMS exam big time who were offered placed at Bedford Boys (and one of the children was really not of academic persuasion).

I also know of two girls who were offered places at Bedford Girls having failed the BMS exam.

BMS only offers places to children who pass the exam. The other two have definitely approached children after the test to offer them places despite not having passed. Perhaps the child who did not get into Bedford Girls had a bad day? The year 7 entry test at BMS last year took a whole day and the children were not only tested academically, but also watched and tested in a group situation, team building and other areas. So it may have been easier for her to shine in that situation.

BMS is a brilliant school, and my son was absolutely gutted to leave. It is definitely not macho. My son had loads of male and female friends and the parents with daughters at the school are very pleased with it. When we were there, the only children that left were those who found it too challenging academically and moved to St Andrews.

I do admit that Bedford Girls team slaughtered our mixed boy/girl team at tennis last year!!!

SelkieFishwick Wed 10-Oct-12 16:43:40

Thanks, Fait. We moved to Bedfordshire about 18 months ago - although I grew up in Flitwick - and it's good to have some local insight. To be honest, I've heard really good things about each of the Harpur Trust schools but I am inclined to opt for an all girls' education for my dd - particularly given how positively that seems to impact on results in Maths and Science - so the girls school probably has the edge for me. TBH, this is the only place I've seen really negative feedback about it and I've heard a lot of positive things by word of mouth. I guess the only way to get a real feel for each school is to go to open days at both. Does BMS offer IB? I know the other two do and, while it's years off for me, I'm interested in finding out more.

fait Wed 10-Oct-12 17:12:26

I think the problem is that the new school is still not bedded in - so it won't be for 3 or 4 years that the true results of the change will be monitored on the public stage.

I am afraid I have no idea about the IB as we left last year.

Definitely go to the open days. I rather like the new (well, he has been there for 3 or 4 years or so now I think!) headmaster at BMS. He has worked hard at not only improving the academic achievements of the school, but also is keen on ensuring uniforms are worn correctly- something that had fallen by the wayside a little!.

Why not join the BMS facebook page - which gives lots of current snippets about the school and what various children are achieving. This covers sport and academic subjects. One of the girls took part in the paralympics which was a fantastic opportunity.

I am sure that Bedford Girls has the same type of thing - it just gives a bit more info than remembering to look at the website!

mightyproudpapabear Wed 10-Oct-12 18:02:46

I think the merger caused problems in the final couple of years of Bedford High too. There was a lot of uncertainty for staff too. Our 3 are now at Berko. It is single sex to GCSE then mixed for 6th form and I think it works really well, though I believe it had a few dark years after its own merger. You do need to factor in rail fare and is only practical if your are closish to Milton Keynes or Bletchley. We found academically there was a bit of a gap to catch up -- from being near the top of the top set to middle of third in some subjects but the girls love it ! Me - I like the free bacon rolls for parents at sports fixtures.

mightyproudpapabear Wed 10-Oct-12 19:36:42

I think for maths and science a coed 6th form works well - certainly for eldest dd who is doing maths, further maths and the 3 sciences.

FozzieMK Thu 11-Oct-12 15:12:02

cheesedoffnow: Rebuilding trust indeed. It seems that Bedford Girls School is taking more or less anyone in the Junior school to bolster numbers and cash (see article in Beds on Sunday re rowing) and at the same time asking those whose results don't come up to scratch much later to leave.

This policy is decimating the numbers at St Andrews school and is in great danger of leaving those who aren't so academic high and dry later on with potentially no alternative

They have also taken quite a few girls from St Andrew's Senior school year 9 this year which isn't helping either. However I do know of girls that took the entrance exam for year 8 and failed to get a place. At a guess it sounds like they are trying to fill empty places they have in their year groups regardless.

Sparrows12 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:21:37

I would have thought what is really decimating St Andrews is the arrival of the new free school.

FozzieMK Sat 13-Oct-12 16:41:29

As far as I am aware, there are no children joining the free school from the senior school. I believe a teacher has joined though. The only girls I am aware of that have left the senior school are those going to state schools or to Bedford Girls or other private schools. Something the school does realise is it's ability to help girls progress well only for some of them to leave around year 8/9 and pass entrance exams to other schools that may have a wider gcse choice or a 6th form. If Bedford Girls is taking all that sit their entrance exam regardless then that may cause problems for St Andrew's in the long run.

redskyatnight Sun 14-Oct-12 14:38:58

This is hearsay but from friends who have DC at Bedford Girls and BMS so suspect it has some basis in fact.

Of children who applied to join the junior schools this September (so 7+), 60% of applicants were offered places at BMS, but 95% of applicants at each of Bedford School and Bedford Girls. If this is the case essentially "selection" at Bedford Girls and Bedford is by ability to pay only. I'd be very interested to know who many children are "encouraged" to leave further up the schools.

debbieparry Sun 21-Oct-12 14:05:34

We are considering moving our daughter from a state comprehensive – to one of the Bedford schools for 6th form.
I am rather alarmed at some of the comments posted here but am struggling to understand what exactly is wrong with Bedford Girls school
“Scarred for life”, “Truly appalling” – these are strong comments but not backed up with any facts. Others say they have removed their daughters or know of others who have done so – why exactly? Others talk of weak leadership – what specific what impact is this having in the school?
Poor facilities – they seemed excellent us plebs for the state sector – Lovely building, excellent facilities in the classroom, white boards, lots of IT equipment and science equipment meaning the girls did not have to share, the pool may have been built in the 70s but what’s wrong with that? It seemed well maintained and fit for purpose – wasn’t expecting a hotel spa!
One person commented that the issues was around 1200 girls being squeezed into a small space causing high volumes of traffic, bottlenecks and “locker crush”. Our daughter has the chance to go for a taster day so we can see how this compares with her current school.
Another criticism is around “huge” class sizes – maybe up to 25. Since our daughter will be joining the 6th form I don’t see this as an issue since the classes at this level are very small – especially for those studying the IB which my daughter is likely to do.
There is also a concern that the school is “letting anyone in” – what does this mean – a girl who isn’t posh – or bright?! Sounds a bit snobbish to me. Certainly the results show little difference to Bedford Modern.
I can see that merging two schools onto one site must have had its challenges and that there will be a period of “bedding down”.
I would love to hear any additional factual information about what is wrong with the school – specifically about the quality of teaching, pastoral care, extra curricular activities etc particularly as it related to the 6th form and IB. Plus we may also send our younger daughter there too – for Year 9 onwards – so again interested in any facts about class sizes and GCSE teaching.
It would be good to hear some positive stories too – I do know parents with daughters at the school and they are pretty positive about it. This is a big and expensive decision for us so would love to hear some more.

50shades1 Sun 21-Oct-12 19:25:39

I am one of the parents who withdrew my dd from BGS this summer and it was the best move we have ever made. My dd was desperately unhappy there, despite having many friends, she just hated the school. I now have a different dd, she is happy, flourishing and just loves her new school.
I have a son in his tenth year at Bedford School which has been absolutely fantastic and we were always very happy with Bedford High School. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was a bit of a car crash
year for my daughter in her first year at BGS. I went from a parent
who has never made a complaint in her life to a serial complainer and I was definitely not alone in this. But if my daughter is accosted by drunk men returning from a music lesson , I expect something to be done about it, nothing ever was.
I expect my daughter to have atleast have a teacher turn up to her lessons and do not want to see mobile phone videos of over 20 girls pissing about left to there own devices for an hour. I don't want my daughter taught by people who have absolutely no classroom management skills and when a pupil turned out a light , all 25 girls stood up and pretended to be zombies ( sadly this included my very naughty dd !)
In terms of leadership these problems are just never dealt with. I have many friends at the school who say that nothing has changed and will definitely be looking for alternative sixth forms. In fact at a recent open day at my dd's new school my daughter saw many BGS girls !!!
If you think the facilitIes are good , have you looked around any other private schools ? As the parent of a sporty daughter the facilities were significantly downgraded by the merger with no promise of future investment.
Despite the fact my dd is now boarding I have seen her headteacher more in half a term of us visiting to see sports fixtures that I saw the BGS head in a whole year. In fact , at the only fixture she ever appeared at over half way through the year my dd said,' who's that lady mummy ?' sums it up really !!! There seems to be very little respect for the head from the girls and many parents.
If you choose BGS for your daughter I hope it works for her. I personally wanted more for my daughter and felt she deserved an education that was equivalent to the one her brother receives.

Hannah1976 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:06:44

I'm actually really upset to read a lot of the comments here. I have a daughter at Bedford Girls' School and I can't praise it highly enough.

I understand that people had a strong affiliation with either Dame Alice or the High School but the level to which this seems to have driven bad feeling and provoked rants on here is truly shocking.

I was not comfortable with the idea of my little girl attending either of the founding schools, although I understand both had their not inconsiderable merits. They just weren't for me. BGS, on the other hand, is the perfect fit for both my daughter and I and she is thriving.

I think it's terrible that grown women come onto a forum like this and seek to ruin the reputation of a school merely because they either resent the merger or have made a mistake in selecting the right school for their child.

The vast majority of pupils and parents absolutely adore BGS and its teachers. It is insulting to suggest that people who elect to send their daughters there are somehow letting their children down by doing so. It's also terrible to read things here which, at best, are ficticious rumours the posters have in all honesty believed and - at worst - down right fibs.

It is a great shame that the future of both the High School and Dame Alice was untennable and it must have very difficult for all those caught up in the merger innitially. However - had either have been financially viable - the merger would never have happened. The debt incurred by the High School for building the Sport and Performing Arts development is notorious and, while it may have been a terrific school, it was run into the ground by poor financial management. Equally, Dame Alice - in my opinion - was too stuffy and stuck in a rut. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good school for those it suited.

For me, BGS has provided me with the perfect opportunity for my daughter to be schooled in a progressive environment which reflects my view of a contemporary girls' education.

A school can't be right for everyone and - as parents - we are all very lucky to be able to afford choice.

I really do think it's unethical to try and damage the reputation of the school purely because it was formed through a merger. If you are that upset that the former schools were unsustainable then the new school is not the one to blame. Instead, it is surely the previous management who bear responsibility?

Either way, I would encourage prospective parents to visit the school and talk to the girls and the staff. I really can't praise it enough. The teaching is excellent, the curriculum is exciting and my daughter just adores attending. I am also very happy to put the record straight about the notion of them 'taking anyone in then asking them to leave' - that's simply not true as are very few negative statements of 'fact' here.

I'm sorry if that's too forthright but, like all parents, I love my children and the notion that I would dream of sending my daughter to the type of school negatively described here is an insult to us both.

As I say, go and see for yourself - that's the only way to really find out if somewhere's for you, isn't it? Much better than believing what a clearly bitter anonymous poster or two write on a forum!

FozzieMK Tue 23-Oct-12 14:07:23

Oh dear! What an awful response which does little to enhance the profile of parents who send their girls to BGS. Just because people have had a completely different experience at your beloved school you call them bitter liars who blame the school for their poor education choices! I’m so pleased you are thoroughly happy with your choice of this exceedingly wonderful without blemish school, but why come on here and put down everyone else who has opposing views and experiences? In fact come to think of it, are you the headmistress? As I have said before on this thread I’m always highly sceptical of anyone who has nothing but praise for their school, in my experience all schools have some problems be they large or small. Have you actually completed a survey that proves that the ‘vast majority of parents adore BGS’? This is not what I hear from some of the parents I know.

I am completely impartial as I do not have any children at Bedford Girls and I have never had to remove my children from there. I did not choose the school based on the opinion of trusted friends and acquaintances who do have girls there. I refuse to recount any of their experiences because it would be obvious who these girls are and they are not my children, but suffice to say their views do differ from yours. You are right about one thing, prospective parents must visit the school to form their own opinions but then they should try to get more information away from the school premises, after all looking at some of the posts on here not all in the garden in rosy and maybe some people need to realise that.

cheesedoffnow Thu 25-Oct-12 09:47:09

Hannah 1976 - It is incredibly childish and trivial to suggest that the basis of the critical comments comes from resentment about the merger. People speak as they find and they are speaking volumes. The fact is that Northampton Girls School never advertised in Bedford and is now running a bus there. Only a bunch of dimwits would claim not to know which teachers were absent and make proactive arrangements. These are simple things at the basis of any efficient organisation.

50shades1 Thu 25-Oct-12 18:01:03

Hannah 1976 - to watch your child become desperately unhappy at school is very difficult as a parent. I thought mumsnet was a forum for us all to share our experiences and opinions. I am not trying to tarnish a schools image and am certainly not telling fibs or spreading fictitious rumours ! Sadly,I am merely stating the facts of my dd's awful year. I hope your dd remains happy and if anything goes wrong during her school years that you are able to express your opinion without being accused of being bitter or worse still a liar.

debbieparry Fri 26-Oct-12 19:13:03

Thanks for the additional information and sorry that I have fuelled the flames of a rather heated debate!

It is good to hear these very frank views and experiences and we will continue to investigate and spend as much time las we can looking at both BSG and BM before we make a final decision.

As I said before I do know a few people with girls at BSG and they are very happy with it. Likewise I have friends with daughters at BSM who also sing its praises.

DrBedford Fri 11-Jan-13 21:54:00

I read all comments with interest and with the benefit of a parent who has had two daughters who were at Bedford High school who transferred from Bedford high.

We first chose Bedford High prior to the merger because the head teacher ran a warm and friendly school with a great traditional ethos. We moved to bgs for many reasons but not least because that same head from bedford high was offered the headship at the new merged junior school. Sadly she gave up the ghost and has moved to a state school (lucky state school). Along with some other great Bedford High teachers who moved on after the merger.

If you are a parent thinking of sending your daughter to this school, I am sure there will be many positives, but for me some simple facts speak volumes:

1 one of the house names your daughter could be in is "Chanel" yes that's right "Chanel" (feel free to google Miss Chanel's credentials as a role model)

2. When moving from the bgs junior to bgs senior they have now stopped scholarships in order to increase bursary places (bums on seats is the name of the game).

3. Last year two friends had children who sat the bms and bgs entrance exams. Both did not get in to bms but did get into bgs

4. Looking at the posts above it clearly looks like a worried head teacher is monitoring the forum and positing responses, speaks volumes!

5. As per other comments, supply teachers were patchy and complaints were met with usual "salesy Spiel about how it is not always easy to predict these situations etc etc"

6. This school has a great poster campaign and advertising in all the papers, with a classy picture of a young girl in the uniform pictured in the school looking like she is on a wondrous educational journey. Sadly the girl in the picture is not a pupil at the school. You would think with hundreds of girls at the school they could have found one to appear in the advert?

We moved our daughters to a school outside of Bedford and are very happy. If you are looking for more traditional education for your daughter then I would say this is not the school for you. The sales pitch you get on the open day is all about "being progressive and holistic", that's all great stuff, but we wanted a more traditional approach.

Sparrows12 Sun 13-Jan-13 13:07:40

The individual teaching we have experienced (Y9+) has been a combination of good and excellent. At this level, individual teachers work very hard to get the best out of the girls. My daughter's year group, (y11) for the most part, is cohesive, positive and hard-working. The girls seem to look out for each other and pastoral care is good. As things are turning out, after all the excitement of open days etc, the school looks unlikely to lose many of the brightest or most hard working girls to other schools for sixth form at the end of the year - over and above the turnover one would normally expect to see - this will be a good test of how well the merger is succeeding.

The marketing at bgs is very poor, and many misguided decisions have been taken, including "own goals" such as the ridiculous house names and the silly decision not to feature your own pupils on the advertising - and there are no doubt parents who think these sorts of issues are indeed "all you need to know" about a school - they are certainly not at all helpful. However there are signs that things are improving - and the clearest indication will be how many children - of the sort you need in order to keep the standards up - decide, by the start of april term that it is not the school for them.

The scholarship/ bursary issue is a bit of a red herring - scholarships were never more than eg £500/£250 - to spend on something educational. The total annual scholarship (as opposed to bursary) fund at bedford high school for entry into the senior school was around £1,500, split between three or four children each year. The demise of the traditional prize giving day is something I regret, but I know lots of parents would disagree with me, as the same pupils always seemed to win all the prizes.

mightyproudpapabear Mon 14-Jan-13 08:41:52

We moved. Most Oxbridge offers are now in. 70-80 girls in coed 6th at Berko, 7 girls got offers, including dd. Congrats to girls(s) with offer at BGS too, but I prefer percentages at Berko.

DrBedford Sun 03-Feb-13 19:05:38

Sparrow12 makes some valid points, although your precise knowledge of the funding figures does raise slight suspicion, but perhaps you are just well informed.

With regard to the scholarship debate, surely the figures are irrelevant? The principle of the scholarship i suspect is more important to most parents than the amount of money you save on fees. A sense of genuine achievement in obtaining a scholarship should be there as a target for all children, whether it be for music, art, sport or academic subjects.

Our daughter was at bgs junior and her teacher was excellent. Our move away was prompted by the fact that the ethos of the merged school did not fit with our view of how we felt the school should be run. When we decided to go for private education, part of that was prize givings, house names taken from inspirational characters, scholarships etc. bgs does not offer any of this. In addition the campus for the junior school is just simply inadequate, with Large class sizes and children having to constantly cross a busy road to use amenities at the main site.

As I said in my previous post we we looking for a more traditional education and bgs does not offer this (in my view). I do agree the the unfortunate marketing decisions and house names have masked some of the positive About the school.

FozzieMK Sat 09-Feb-13 12:59:40

There were apparently a lot of BGS girls at the recent Bedford Modern 6th form day according to a friend of mine. I have also heard of two more BGS girls that have suddenly appeared mid-term at another Bedford school so I guess the 'settling in' is still going on.

Aircooled2 Thu 17-Oct-13 11:28:27

Rather late (!) joining thread and hoping still some searchers.. but am considering sending DD to BGS. Originally all planned for BHSG (DD born 2005) 2009 came and the rest is history..
However BGS a levels this year 2013 have crashed and burned: 34% A*/A compared to BS 53.96%, BMS 56.23% ( even Kimbolton managed 46.23%)
contrast with 2011: BHSG 55.89% and DAHS 50.42%
So is this a temporary blip whilst things settle or has the heart been ripped out?

oscaralfie Fri 02-May-14 14:38:40

BGS, fantastic school, my daughter absolutely loves it and loves the support she gets from all her teachers and peers. School is getting better every year and do agree this has taken time from the merger due to staff, parents and pupils against it. Sport is fantastic, with PE staff going out of their way and giving up so much of their time to develop my daughter, who wasn't sporty, until she went to BGS. Would recommend it over BMS and St Andrews, as schools not as good BGS in every department. Send your daughter to BGS, you wont be disappointed!!!

FozzieMK Sat 03-May-14 14:53:40

That's your opinion oscaralfie. How do you know that BMS and St Andrew's are not as good as BGS in every department? Has your daughter attended all schools? My youngest daughter goes to one of those schools supposedly 'below' BGS in your estimation and I have no hesitation in saying that I am so pleased that I did not send her or my eldest daughter to BGS (both have friends there). Parents should visit all schools and make their own decision, I always find gushing, glowing reports like yours suspect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now