Whitgift and Trinity 11+ exams and Interviews

(1000 Posts)
mummax Tue 11-Jan-11 23:16:32

Hi all
I am new to this. I am loving this site.
Has anyone's DS taken an 11+ exam at Whitgift or Trinity this year. We have taken both and have an interview at Whitgift.
Any tips for a first timer.

Ladymuck Wed 12-Jan-11 07:39:31

We're in the 10+ cohort and know quite a few applicants. Most boys have taken both, though some have done W only.

W want to know that they are your first choice. They don't want to be anyone's backup. Do be prepared for them to ask ds which other schools he has sat for.

Other than that they seem to play the interviews fairly straight. If he is borderline either for entrance or scholarship there will be academic questions. Worthwhile asking him what he likes doing outside fo school, or what his favorite part of school is to make sure that you're not surprised by the answer. They have to take something to the interview to talk about. The prep schools get them doing projects so they have an extensive project file to talk about, but bringing in their latest reading book or a sporting award that they've got will go down just fine.

mummax Wed 12-Jan-11 10:17:32

Thanks that’s really helpful.
I am nervous but DS and DH seem to be quite call about the whole thing.
DS has put together a portfolio about himself including all his achievements both in and out of school. He has been scoring between 80 and 85% on his practice papers at home and school. We hope that he is not borderline as he is a deep thinker and would take a little while answering quick fire academic questions.
Well here goes everything smile.
Will let you know how we get on.

Caoimhe Wed 12-Jan-11 12:43:42

Good luck mummax! Ds did 11+ last year - I remember the anxiety!!!

LondonMother Wed 12-Jan-11 12:56:30

I look back six years to when we were at this stage and I realise we were very naive. We had no idea what my son might be asked at interview and made no attempt to prepare him. It was only when the offer letters came through that he mentioned in passing that Alleyn's had asked what other schools he'd applied for and which one he really wanted to go to. 'Dulwich College', he said. Fortunately Alleyn's was not top of our list!

Good luck to this year's sufferers.

basildonbond Thu 13-Jan-11 00:00:11

ds took in his collection of swimming hats - it's just something to spark off a conversation

there were a couple of academic questions (maths I think but it's all gone hazy), they asked ds why he wanted to go there (he was VERY enthusiastic!), what he liked doing, what his favourite subject was - all fairly standard

the format for us was ds went in first, then he came out and was entertained by one of the older boys while we went in for a chat, then we all went to see another teacher

if they've done very well in the exam they tell you - it then takes an age for the results to come through

the interviews also go on over several weeks and the length of time you have to wait to hear whether or not they've been called for interview bears no relation to how well they've done in the exam

good luck to your ds

mummax Thu 13-Jan-11 18:15:58

Many thanks for all the tips.
We have now had the interview, which in our view went pretty well.
All we can do now is keep our fingers crossed for the next 5 weeks. wink

camptownraces Fri 14-Jan-11 00:45:06

The tip is, if you want a scholarship for your son, ask for it. They'll soon tell you if he's not scholarship material, but if he is your request may bear fruit.

Also, if your son has done well and they want him, reveal which other schools he has tried, be non-comittal about your preference, and that too may result in something to your advantage.

southernhemisheregirl Fri 14-Jan-11 11:16:03

Hi, DS has just taken W&T 10+ and has an interview for both.W is next week and heard yesterday about Trinity interview which is not till the end of January. Should I be worried about length of time before I heard and how long off the T interview is as I see thart some people have already had the interview? Do they contact in order of marks, alphabetical order ? DS so desperately wants this.

basildonbond Fri 14-Jan-11 12:40:19

For T, we heard 2 days after the exam, had to wait 3 weeks to hear from W - not alphabetical as one of his friends whose surname is at the opposite end of the alphabet heard from W on the same day as us and don't think it's to do with marks either as both boys got offers of scholarships

4schoolmum Fri 14-Jan-11 17:15:48

Hello !
Just joined and DS sat trinity 11+exam this week....has anyone been contacted for interview yet? I suspect he has not passed but part of me still hoping and praying!

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:21:16

I went through all this last year with DS1 and have the horror of it next year for DS2 [weeps]

DS1 took in a balloon powered car he'd made as its what he had to do for some inter school science competition he'd been in.

We heard from Whitgift within a couple of days which was a huge shock as it was so quick. Trinity took a little longer IIRC but not much longer and some of his friends (who also ended up there) heard a good week or so after DS. I don't know what kind of order they do it in.

camptownraces Fri 14-Jan-11 17:22:12

I suspect that the order of contacting parents or setting interview dates is the date of the receipt of application.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:22:32

I found the Whitgift interview more intimidating than Trinity, especially when we had to chat to the Whitgift headmaster.

4schoolmum Fri 14-Jan-11 17:26:56

I just hate the waiting! I feel so anxious all the time...it's always lurking there at the edge of my thoughts! I read last years posts and if I wasn't so grump
y and stressed would be laughing as we are all going through the same emotions!

4schoolmum Fri 14-Jan-11 17:28:18

Thanks Soup Dragon...I feel a little reassured by your info!

4schoolmum Fri 14-Jan-11 17:30:23

Camptown races...do you think that might be true? We did apply very late.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:34:16

Personally, I don't think the application date has anything to do with it. DSs wasn't particularly early for either of them and we heard quickly for both.

IME, if your son is is in line for a scholarship, they will tell you. I believe that the scholarships are actually awarded on the basis of how he performs at the interview. The exams tell them who to consider, the interview identify those wih actual talent rather than tutoring.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:35:10

I'm not sure the delay in hearing means very much at all.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:35:43

And if you think this wait is bad, the wait til the letters in Feb is worse

4schoolmum Fri 14-Jan-11 17:38:23

Oh well. Will just have to sit it out and realise there is nothing more we can do now . I really hope for a phone call soon but wishing isn't going to make it happen! DS seems laid back about it...and pretty laid back about the exams too which may be all the answer I need!!

Caoimhe Fri 14-Jan-11 17:39:08

Hi SoupDragon, how is your ds enjoying school? Ds still loves it (despite the Maths homework smile).

I agree that the W interview was so much worse. At least at T the parents aren't forced to meet the staff (it was particularly awful meeting the W HM and his sleepy dog........... grin)

4schoolmum Fri 14-Jan-11 17:39:11

My God...By Feb I will need sedation!

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:39:50

Trinity had over 800 boys sitting entrance exams (more than they've had before apparently) and I think Whitgift had similar.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:41:57

LOL, yes, Caoimhe, ds still loves it. Although I have threatened to remove him and place him in a crap school if he doesn't put more effort in

At Whitgift, I felt like I had been actually sent to the HM for something bad (although I don't recall a dog... perhaps they save that for the "special" families )

MrB at Trinity, OTOH, was lovely and human.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:43:51

BTW, DS is CT in 1L

Although I have no idea if there is more than one boy with those initials!

4schoolmum Fri 14-Jan-11 17:44:08

IS your son at Trinity or Whitgift? 800 is huge amount! Was that all years? If so do you know how many sat 11 plus? I understood it would be about 400. It did seem busy when i dropped off but nothing like the mayhem for Sutton G which had about 1600

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:45:20

4schoolmum, the tension was unbearable the day before the letters were due! thankfully, DS was off skiing with his father so it was just me.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:47:50

He's at Trinity. I think the 800 was for all 3 exam years. They split the number. It was almost 800 now I've read it properly. I was told that Whitgift had over 300 at 11+

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:48:48

We didn't do Sutton G but did do Wilsons which was horrific. I understand that Wallington is worse but his father took him there.

4schoolmum Fri 14-Jan-11 17:52:26

It's mad speculating isn't it but I keep trying to calcuate the odds with each new piece of info I get! In your opinion do the schools select initially purely on the exam results? I understood that the heads report form current school also had a bearing or is this only relevent once they get an interview?
Your DS did so well to get a place . I think it is a really wonderful school and I love the building...not at all stuffy!

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 18:04:43

I think the exam gives them the boys who are academically able to give the school the results they want. From there, they use the interview to weed out those who do not suit or have been excessively tutored to pass the exam (supposition). I would imagine that information from the current school would be used in conjunction with the interview - eg it may say that X is a little sh8t who bullies other boys, and I doubt they'd give a place to a boy like that

Bizarrely, my heart was with Whitgift - the prefects wear purple capes FFS, what's not to love?! However, my head said that Trinity would be the right school for DS2 and that, whilst DS1 would thrive anywhere, he'd probably have a better time there too.

Obviously I am assuming DS2 will get a place when it is his turn hmm

Caoimhe Fri 14-Jan-11 18:19:59

LOL at "special families" SoupDragon!!

W HM's dog was in a basket just to the left of the leather sofa (upon which I sat looking most uncomfortable whilst Dr B looked severe in his winged chair grin).

Gosh yes - Mr B is a big selling point for T - much more approachable than Dr B.

4schoolmum - trust me, they definitely do not just go on the exam result - it is quite possible for a boy with a lower mark to get a place if he is a particularly able sportsman or musician, for example. Last year at 13+ was a prime example as both W and T fought over a particularly good all-round sportsman who actually needs learning support for the academic stuff.

<<SoupDragon - does your ds know anyone in 1A? That's ds's class.>>

4schoolmum Fri 14-Jan-11 18:23:51

I assumed Sutton G for DS2 as that is where DS1 went but 'twas not to be!

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 18:24:35

He does indeed. He went to school with Daniel and Peter and is on the bus with Henry

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 18:27:23

(and god, yes! I perched uncomfortably on that sofa I was probably too nervous to look for a dog.)

DS2 is, in theory, brighter than DS1. However, he is also bordering on hyperactive so whether he can sit still long enough to complete the exam remains to be seen.

Caoimhe Fri 14-Jan-11 19:44:03

grin SoupDragon, Henry is a similar size to ds!

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jan-11 21:27:41

LOL

mummax Sun 16-Jan-11 19:18:27

Hi there,
How are you informed about the Trinity interview is it by phone or letter.
We were informed very quickly about the Whitgift by phone (two days later) and had the interview last week. confused

SoupDragon Mon 17-Jan-11 11:58:14

Either! We had phone calls but DSs friends had letters. I think they phone up the first batches to get the ball rolling quickly and then send letters out to the rest.

mummax Mon 17-Jan-11 13:17:24

Thanks SoupDragon
This whole thing is turning me into a nervous reck!
Poor DS could not sleep for worrying. We are even more concerned with not hearing as we would like to know if he will be able to sit his music scholarship exam. So frustrating!!!

SoupDragon Mon 17-Jan-11 13:26:20

It's all fun isn't it

I now have a year of hell tutoring DS2 in English for when he sits them next year.

If both of us are still alive and sane by then.

mummax Mon 17-Jan-11 16:44:57

Lol
Immediate panic over DH received a phone call from T this afternoon.
Interview next week hooray. [Smile]

SoupDragon Mon 17-Jan-11 18:16:59

Yay!

Caoimhe Mon 17-Jan-11 19:21:34

Great news, mummax!!!

IroningBored Wed 19-Jan-11 14:15:16

Sob ... haven't heard from T yet (exam was tougher than W by all accounts)

Caoimhe Wed 19-Jan-11 18:41:36

I hope you get good news soon, IroningBored!

Ladymuck Thu 20-Jan-11 12:36:07

I have a friend whose ds has now had music audition and interviews at W, but still not heard from T. Unfortunately is standard. Is making her think twice about her preferred school though.

Caoimhe Thu 20-Jan-11 18:10:38

I remember T being slower than W last year as well, LadyMuck.

The schools are chalk and cheese so I'd be surprised at someone's decision being swayed by how quickly their ds was interviewed!!

Sammysilver Fri 21-Jan-11 05:33:32

My son had his interview yesterday. Really worried because he wasn't asked to take anything in with him and we only saw the head of the lower school. Having said that, we all (son, hub and I) seemed to think our respective interviews went well. This is SO nerve-racking !

Ladymuck Fri 21-Jan-11 11:40:59

Which school? And is he doing 10+ or 11+?

Sammysilver Fri 21-Jan-11 12:15:24

Sorry.. Whitgift and 11+.

Sammysilver Fri 21-Jan-11 12:15:38

Sorry.. Whitgift and 11+.

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jan-11 12:40:15

The "take something in" bit is only as an ice breaker and to give them an easy thing to start a conversation about so I wouldn't worry about that

I also think most people are only interviewed by one person.

Sammysilver Fri 21-Jan-11 12:58:11

Thanks, SoupDragon
BTW, I've also been wondering about the ratio of boys that are interviewed to the amount who are actually offered places.
I'm usually a chilled out person, but find this 'limbo'state quite unbearable.
I know that I've got to relax for the sake of my boy.

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jan-11 13:16:43

I don't know about the ratio of interviewed/offered but some are definitely rejected after interview (sorry!) I can't believe that they would be a huge amount though.

4schoolmum Sat 22-Jan-11 18:56:38

Hello....We got the call..interview next week......Nervous wreck!!

Caoimhe Sun 23-Jan-11 12:19:53

Good luck, 4schoolmum!!!!!

cooney Mon 24-Jan-11 13:37:15

4schoolmum, when did you get the call. We have not heard anything at all yet. DS2 sat 12+, he sat 11+ last year and was recommended for a place so we were told at interview, but was waitlisted and they had so many acceptances they never went to the waiting list, so am biting my finger nails before the postman arrives every morning - still nothing today.

mummax Tue 25-Jan-11 15:57:46

Hi Cooney
Don't know if this helps, we got the call last Monday(17th) and received a confirmation letter this morning.
We went for a Music Audition this morning and was told by another parents that they have tried to see so many children that they could be a bit behind with contacting parents.
Good luck!!!! Hope you hear something soonsmile

christha Wed 26-Jan-11 19:10:09

Hi, does anyone know about what is happened on the interview on Alleyn s ?My boy will go on 5.02 and we don`t have any clue...Please give me any information if you have. Thank you

yehyeh Thu 27-Jan-11 13:27:48

Hi All,
It is 3 weeks today that my boy had the 10+ entrance exam at W!! Still no phone call or letter with regards to him being called for interview or rejection! Anyone else out there in the same position? Do I need to call the school or leave it until next week? Starting to get a little worried!

basildonbond Thu 27-Jan-11 16:02:45

we waited more than 3 weeks for ds and he got a scholarship so a long wait doesn't mean anything afaik

cooney Thu 27-Jan-11 17:45:23

mummet

Thanks for that. DS1 got a music scholarship at 13+ last year and is so happy there. So many opportunities, will be playing with the RPO shortly. Yesterday spent the hour before the bus (when he should have been doing his homework!) jamming nirvana with one of the teachers, came home on cloud nine. They are a wonderfully warm department. Will still keep on hoping for a call for DS2. Good luck with your DS scholarship and interview.

cooney Thu 27-Jan-11 17:46:44

yehyeh, we are still waiting to hear anything at all for 12+

4schoolmum Sat 29-Jan-11 14:39:00

cooney...we heard last tues (17th) I think.Sorry did not reply earlier.DS had the interview but it was ALL maths questions! My guess is DS must be borderline Maths so I suspect these are the kids that may be rejected depending on their performance. Sad

yehyeh Mon 31-Jan-11 11:56:21

cooney,we still have not heard a thing from W! How about you? Does anyone out there know if the rejection letters come out the same day as acceptance letters or before? Its not looking too good for our boy, he has one or two friends that sat 10+ and they have already been for sports tests.

Ladymuck Mon 31-Jan-11 17:33:55

I know of at least one boy for 10+ at W who has had his "exam results not good enough" letter, so I would ring up to see what is happening. All of the T 10+ rejection without interview letters have gone out.

cooney Tue 01-Feb-11 11:34:35

yehyeh, no nothing at all yet. If boys have already had rejection letters, maybe this is a good sign (for us not the poor families who have received them obviously).

4schoolmum, my DS1 had maths questions in his interview last year and also a lot of questions on his coping mechanisms for his dyspraxia, he still got offered a place. He came out in tears after his Dulwich english exam and felt he had done very badly in it, however he completely redeemed himself in his interview and got offered a place there also. I know of other boys who were asked maths questions at Whitgift and were offered places, so don't be disheartened.

yehyeh Tue 01-Feb-11 17:38:02

hi all, we called W and our boy did not make it in (10+).stiff competition by all accounts.185 sat 10+ and only 100 got interviews then only 60 places.good luck to all of the boys that got interviews.

Raidne Tue 01-Feb-11 18:34:33

Sorry it wasn't the news you wanted, yehyeh.

cooney Wed 02-Feb-11 08:03:55

What a pity. I expect we will be the same. Wonder why they didn't send out all the rejections together. 11+ is their big intake so good luck for next year.

morethanlikely Wed 02-Feb-11 12:19:03

Cooney do you how many places available at 11+ and how many they reject after interview

stressederica Wed 02-Feb-11 18:56:12

Hi all,

My ds sat the 10+ for both W and T and has had an interview at both. I am very new to all this and would be grateful if anyone with previous experience could shed some light on how these schools make their final selection. It's been a stressful few weeks (or dare I say months!)and all this waiting is just unbearable. During our interview at W, we were told that my ds had done extremely well in all three papers while the T headmaster was more vague, saying things like how we should be proud of our ds.The concern I have is that my ds is not particularly sporty (sports is big at W) or musical (again music is big at T). Would he be offered a place purely on his academic abilities or do they expect more from these children, i.e. do they also have to be sporty for W or musical for T?

SoupDragon Wed 02-Feb-11 19:02:41

DS is neither sporty nor musical and he was offered places at both last year so don't worry on that account His place(s) were offered purely on academic ability.

IIRC, they use the interview process in part to weed out the boys who have been heavily tutored to pass the exams but may not actually be very academic IYSWIM. I guess they also want boys who will fit into their school.

SoupDragon Wed 02-Feb-11 19:03:18

(DS1 sat the 11+ but I doubt it is that different from a practical POV)

bilton2 Thu 03-Feb-11 11:35:48

I'm new here, so first of all HI!!!

My DS took 11+ at both W and T and has been rejected by both. (although not in writing by W, we found out on the phone!)

W was our first choice and DS is really upset about it. He's very sporty and we have a family connection to the school so we thought these things might go in his favour, but obviously not!

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea if there is any point reapplying there at 12+, or if the fact that he didn't even get an interview at 11+ will have put them off? Any advice would be fantastic!

stressederica Thu 03-Feb-11 11:38:45

Thanks SoupDragon, that's really helpful. I feel like I'm the only one who's fretting! DS and DH are both quite cool about the whole thing although DS is getting increasingly excited about the prospect of starting at either W or T. He is not being stretched or challenged at his current school and I'm worried about year 6 being a complete waste of a year if he doesn't get offered a place. Do you know how many offers T and W send out? Someone told me that her nephew who sat the 11+ has already been offered places at Caterham, Whitgift, Trinity and Sevenoaks! Is that possible? I thought all the letters are sent out on the same day, i.e. 17th February. Is she bluffing?

Ladymuck Thu 03-Feb-11 11:46:43

Bilton, Sorry it was bad news. The differences in the way that the 2 schools communicate also doesn't help the process. Neither school will object to another application at 12+ or 13+, though of course you need to think about getting another head's report. Certainly the local 13+ prep schools (Cumnor House, Bickley Park, Homefield) all take in boys at year 7 and prep them for 13+, usually with good results. It has been known for boys rejected at 11 to get scholarships at 13.

bilton2 Thu 03-Feb-11 11:55:46

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! That certainly makes me feel a bit better! I was actually considering moving him to Cumnor.

It's interesting that you mentioned the head's report as I was wondering how much influence this has on the decision making process at Whitgift. We know his report from his current school wasn't good, so is it possible this made a difference, as that would explain alot??

SoupDragon Thu 03-Feb-11 12:04:19

Stressederica, I am fairly certain that neither Whitgift nor Trinity offer places before the February date, although it was clear from our interviews that DS1 would be offered places at both.

SoupDragon Thu 03-Feb-11 12:06:38

Bilton, did he get an interview at either?

morethanlikely Thu 03-Feb-11 12:17:15

i am slightly worried about the possibility of having no offers despite interviews for W&T. I have a feeling that the 13+route is even more competitive with a greater number of exams to prepare for. is this the case/

mummax Thu 03-Feb-11 14:05:49

We were told by our DS's Head teacher and at our W and T interview that the school report carries a fair bit of weight.
We also know of a child who was turned down at 10+. He was invited for an interview after the 11+ exam on the proviso that his school report was good and showed that he had made all round improvement. At the interview he had to talk about any improvements he had made and what he would do to continue improving.

Therefore it is worth applying again.
After all things can change.smile

stressederica Thu 03-Feb-11 14:26:25

SoupDragon,how was it made clear to you? Did they specifically say so or did you infer it from their comments? Where is your DS now and how is he getting on? Thanks again for all your help.

It's nice to see some new posts. I've been reading last year's posts over and over again for the last couple of weeks! Glad I joined.

SoupDragon Thu 03-Feb-11 16:07:51

The didn't say "we are going to offer DS a place" but it was fairly clear it was simply a matter of what scholarship they would be offering. It was last year and I was a bit freaked out by the whole process TBH

IIRC, they made a big thing of how well he had performed in each part of the exam, in one case showing me his marks when they "weren't meant to". They made it clear that he was being considered for a scholarship and, in the case of Trinity, I was under the impression that the interview was a formality to check he hadn't been hothoused. Other than that, I think it was the language they used eg "he will do very well here". As I said, it's all kind of hazy and I was kind of being swept along by it all.

SoupDragon Thu 03-Feb-11 16:08:39

Oh, he's at Trinity and loving it. Although he needs a rocket up his rear end at homework time - that's the shock of going from state primary

cooney Thu 03-Feb-11 16:46:24

Well, got our rejection letter today. Beack to the drawing board for next year.

4schoolmum Thu 03-Feb-11 19:33:18

OH NO...sorry to hear that (sad) I hope your DS not too upset....I think it is us parents who are most devastated. I am still hoping DS gets a place . I think he will have had good reference from current school so hopefully that helps and he says he did well answering the maths questions but he is always overconfident....I am now fretting because when he came out the teacher who had questioned him (It really can't be classed as an interview!) looked at me shiftily!!!( LOL....now I sound completely mad !!)..as if he couldn't meet my eye as DS had failed!!
Oh Soup Dragon.....wish I was in your position with son already in!

morethanlikely Fri 04-Feb-11 08:33:32

any response to my prevoius queries. i am trying to prepare for all eventualities if there are no offers come february.

Ladymuck Fri 04-Feb-11 10:09:51

If I recall correctly Whitgift and Trinity still do their 13+ on the basis of maths and English papers prepared by the school - can't remember whether there is still VR at 13+. If the boys pass this then they do sit common entrance but only for setting purposes. Wallington Boys also has a 13+ sitting, as does Caterham.

How competitive really depends on how many other boys sit and how many spaces are available, which tends to move each year. As T has become more popular the school is now making fewer offers/place as it is probably only in the last few years that they are the preferred school over W for the majority. But all schools over-offer as they know that the strong candidates will invariably get a number of offers.

It certainly isn't easier to get in at 13, but I'm not sure that it is vastly more difficult, and obviously it gives some boys the time to mature and prove themselves.

SoupDragon Fri 04-Feb-11 12:17:11

4schoolmum - don't envy me too much, DS2 sits them next January

Last year, Trinity over offered, or rather had a much higher take up of offers than they anticipated at 11+. They added an extra class. I wonder if this is why the exam this year is rumoured to have been noticeably more difficult than Whitgift.

Ladymuck Fri 04-Feb-11 12:59:52

Certainly we know more boys who were interviewed by W only, but didn't get asked for interview at T. Mr Bishop has been very clear all year that he doesn't intend to have an extra class in future years.

But then I think for both schools it has been the highest number of boys ever sitting the exams.

morethanlikely Fri 04-Feb-11 13:37:26

Thanks Ladymuck. May explore the prep school route as a back up. Ds not particularly strong academically a good average actually but loves the sports side of school life. fingers crossed that all goes according to plan.

Ladymuck Fri 04-Feb-11 13:54:55

Did he get offered a sports assessment? Has he done the various sports courses they do for potential new boys?

Unfortunately I think that both schools are primarily after bright boys, and only then look at sport/music, though of course there have been exceptions over the years (and in some years lots of exceptions!).

morethanlikely Fri 04-Feb-11 14:55:29

No didn't even go there as I thought that they have to be potentially at county level. he simply enjoys sport, plays for the school team in rugby, cricket and football but he is not exceptional. He said both his interviews for W & T went well although he did say that he found the T papers quite hard. so if they weed out after interviews I'm hoping that I do not have the.... it's with regret we are unable to offer.....

SoupDragon Fri 04-Feb-11 16:42:52

Oh god... I so do not want to have to do this again next year! It's all coming flooding back...

stressederica Fri 04-Feb-11 16:44:13

SoupDragon, glad your DS is doing well at Trinity. I'm expecting a real shock to the system for my DS too if he gets offered a place.His current state primary seems to be a walk in the park and that's year 5! There was a lot of talk about that year being very important, challenging, a step up etc but it's been anything but and DS is so ready to move on.

What made you go for Trinity over Whitgift? I don't envy you having to go through all this again next year.

Hi all, DS found the 10+ at T a lot harder than the one at W. Mr B told us that he wants to avoid an extra class this year because of the big uptake last year. DS's interview at T was also tougher. He had to answer some mental maths questions as well as read a text and answer questions about it.The feeling I have is T is definitely weeding out those they want from the interviews and I also hope I don't get the 'It's with regret..'

SoupDragon Fri 04-Feb-11 18:50:27

They offered him the biggest scholarship

No, seriously,

1) he is a keen sportsman rather than a gifted one so would get more chances to play (allegedly) at Trinity.
2) It is just so friendly. I felt relaxed there compared to Whitgift (which I loved) where I felt like I shouldn't be there.
3) Trinity will suit DS2 far bettter than Whitgift. I felt that Whitgift would try to shove his square peg into their round hole whereas Trinity would gently mould him and find middle ground. He is, shall we say, a Live Wire.

NoseyNooNoo Fri 04-Feb-11 20:58:37

Hello, sorry to hijack the thread. My children are years off from applying for independent schools in the area but their state primary schoool is unlikely to helpful in preparing them for entrance exam and interview. How do you know how to prepare your child for the process?

basildonbond Fri 04-Feb-11 21:31:56

soupDragon

my ds is a 'live wire' (slight understatement there wink)and W has been perfect for him - the staff have only ever approached him as an individual - they know just what makes him tick and he is extremely happy and doing very well

T comes across as more gentle and touchy-feely, but to be honest, I think it's a very superficial difference

the other contrast between the two schools is that W actively welcomes boys who may have had difficulties fitting in at primary school (as long as they're bright and have something to offer the school) - it has quite a number of boys with statements for various reasons, whereas T won't accept boys with a statement

SoupDragon Fri 04-Feb-11 22:07:14

"whereas T won't accept boys with a statement"

That is not the impression we got when we asked specifically about SEN.

At the end of the day you choose the school which is right for your child (provided they'll have then ). The memory of the interview with the W headmaster still makes me squirm and feel uncomfortable and is complete contrast to the one I had at T.

OTOH, W has purple capes... [swoon]

morethanlikely Sat 05-Feb-11 07:52:34

icertainly had the impression that both schhols were highly tuned into the individual .In W the range of upper school qulaifications eg IB, Alevels, BTEC's made me feel that it wasn't a suasge machine with just one route for academic sucess. T hasn't I dont think has the same range but talks convincingly about how they nuture the children towards ultimately A levels. personally i don't mind which school as LONG AS I GET AN OFFER!!!

cooney Sat 05-Feb-11 11:59:50

Given that T added an extra calss last year, does this mean that they won't have places at 13+ next year. Usually they only take 15 - 20 at 13+. W took 15 last year and also overoffered at 11+, as did St Georges College, St Geroges told us that instead of the usual 40 or os places they would be only able to offer 20 or so for the 13+ 2012.

LIZS Sat 05-Feb-11 12:11:09

Agree I definitely didn't think Trinity would turn down a child on basis of SEN - indeed on our tour we came across a boy who clearly had similar traits to ds, but had found a niche and passion there. Private schools don't benefit with statements in the same way so often SEN doesn't really show in stats.

We were told on our tour that the bulge class would continue throughout and no less would be admitted at 13+ into that year group as a result. However they would try to keep the overall number in school the same even with admitting girls to 6th form (so not sure how they can really achieve both without reducing intake somewhere !).

basildonbond Sat 05-Feb-11 13:08:21

The child I'm thinking of wasn't turned down - was offered a place in fact but was told they would have to give up their statement. Whitgift on the other hand welcomed him with his statement. Statements in private schools work exactly the same way - the schools get a certain amount of money attached to the child and in return are bound to provide what's in the statement.

Don't get me wrong, I think Trinity is an excellent school, but I don't think the differences between the schools are that pronounced - it's definitely not much more touchy-feely!

Caoimhe Sat 05-Feb-11 14:05:30

That's interesting basildonbond as most people I know got very different vibes from W and T.

Personally I was completely put off by W's HT whom I found cold and unapproachable whereas Mr B at T certainly gives the impression of being more open and friendly.

Ds is at T now and I do find it quite "touchy-feely". I have friends with boys at W and their experience does appear to be different to mine at T.

Of course both schools are fantastic but I do think they suit different kinds of children.

Ladymuck Sat 05-Feb-11 14:41:07

I note the "allegedly" in your statement re sport Soupy - does that indicate that the reality doesn't quite live up to the billing? I have a similar ds1, who is keen on certain sports but doesn't play at the high levels of some of his peers, and whilst he doesn't mind being in the D team say, clearly they don't get as many matches.

SoupDragon Sat 05-Feb-11 17:17:10

I am hoping it is just early days wrt the sports thing but DS1 plays rugby every Sunday for a local team yet is in the very bottom group at T, playing with the "colours" not even the D team. I am not delusional about how talented he is but he is certainly capable of D team or even, on a good day, C (might be delusional there though!).

I am still convinced that his chances are better at T than W in that respect though.

SoupDragon Sat 05-Feb-11 17:20:17

I agree with Caoimhe that the vibes given off by the two schools are completely different and with her judgement on the headmasters. I was firmly in the W camp until we did interviews for both when my thoughts changed entirely and I knew which school was right for DSs and for me.

SoupDragon Sat 05-Feb-11 17:37:06

I've had a look at the W website and can't find an equivalent of the T headmaster's weekly newsletter. It is always praising boys for all sorts of achievements, is often funny and is rarely limited to academic and sporting achievements alone. It is that kind of thing that gives off the Touchy Feely vibes I think.

Having said that, if W had offered DS1 the best scholarship, he wold most likely have gone there. I'm not anti W by any stretch of the imagination.

Ladymuck Sat 05-Feb-11 18:23:35

Not sure about the weekly letter, but the termly update from W is so top sports oriented, it is quite offputting. Almost comes across as "off course we don't expect every boy to make the England U17s, but you should at least be on the national team for showjumping or shooting or something" Even academic achievements don't seem to get a look-in.

Sympathy on the sports side. We had a similar issue at ds1's prep school. In the end we've moved him to C, and suddenly I am spending 5 days a week washing rugby kitwine.

SoupDragon Sat 05-Feb-11 18:31:46

Um... Is that moving him from CH to C or from somewhere else to CH? Because I've heard similar about CH wrt teams.

The T newsletters are all on their website. The one from the snow week is one of my personal favourites.

SoupDragon Sat 05-Feb-11 18:32:38

My is missing from after the word "teams"

Ladymuck Sat 05-Feb-11 18:52:42

CH to C. Had a particular objection to the way that 56 out of 60 boys in a year would be in a rugby tournament, and the other 4 had to stay behind.

Caoimhe Sat 05-Feb-11 19:04:00

I found the sports fixation at W quite annoying (as the mother of a sportingly-challenged boy!! grin) plus the fact that Dr B seems to find his way into every photo of any publication.

Of course W is fantastic for a lot of boys and the range of languages and the choice of academic paths at sixth form are amazing. So I'm also not anti-W at all!

How are you finding C, LadyMuck? Are you not considering keeping your ds there for senior school (as you've mentioned doing 10+ for W and T)? I loved C's senior school but it seemed mad to send ds there when he can walk to T. smile

SoupDragon Sat 05-Feb-11 19:57:54

DS1 could have walked to T had we not moved when he was 3 envy

Ladymuck Sat 05-Feb-11 21:45:46

Our plans increased in urgency when ds1's formteacher kept breaking down in tears because the boys wouldn't do as they were told. Decided ds1 wasn't ready for 10+ in terms of maturity as we think he is better suited to T but year 6 are just in the whole mix. Opportunity came up to try for C, and we have guaranteed place at senior school. Want another year of GCSE/Alevel results before deciding on senior schools, but so far C exceeds our expectations. He'll still sit the scholarship exam for C, and many sit W&T as well just to see what they get.

Caoimhe Sat 05-Feb-11 22:49:54

The exam results at C are excellent and the school is in such a fab, peaceful location! It's great to have a guaranteed senior school place.

Do you think C H is going downhill a little? A friend is considering it at the mo. Sounds like your ds's teacher was a bit hopeless!!

LIZS Sun 06-Feb-11 07:25:09

I'm wondering which C ?! If the one I'm thinking of there isn't a scholarship exam as such for external candidates - academic ones are awarded by performance in the 11/13+. Perhaps different internally. fwiw we've had same issue with both boys' and girls' teams at dc prep.

Ladymuck Sun 06-Feb-11 09:03:45

CH certainly isn't the same school that it was 5 years ago. My heart sank when I realised that the 3 year 5 teachers had a total of 2 years teaching experience between them. The preprep is still excellent, but the prep leaves a lot to be desired. 60 boys a year is too many for the facilities available, and there is little attempt to look at the boys as individuals.

Yes LIZS I expect it is the same C but the arrangements are different for the prep school where entrance seems to be determined at the end of Yr4. They're still prepared for the 11+ exam but it is only relevant for scholarships.

Caoimhe Sun 06-Feb-11 09:19:32

Thanks for that, LadyMuck - I think I will suggest she looks elsewhere.

When I visited C I was shown around by a Y7 girl whose brother was at W and (in her 11-year-old opinion smile) the schools were similar academically but W had the edge for sports. The Latin teacher I spoke to at C was also quite a character (in a good way)!!

SoupDragon Sun 06-Feb-11 09:47:58

Haven't CH bought the old Woodcote site though? I was under the impression they planned to move the prep part of the school there, thus increasing the facilities.

runawayrunaway Mon 07-Feb-11 10:41:11

Hello all, quick hijack - is there anywhere I can download past papers for the W & T 11+? I've looked on both sites and can't see anything (this may just be me being dense, though confused)

Am assuming the format is English comp/essay, Maths and VR?

Good luck to everyone who's waiting for results, btw!

Ladymuck Mon 07-Feb-11 12:09:04

Both schools give out specimen papers as part of their prospectus pack, but you can't actually download them iirc. The English papers are close to the ISEB ones imo.

stressederica Mon 07-Feb-11 14:46:37

SoupDragon, thanks for being so helpful. God...Really can't wait for this whole thing to be over...confused Like morethanlikely, I've got to a point where ANY OFFER WILL DO!

No, seriously, both schools are fantastic. As we did not have the pleasure(!) of being interviewed by the headmaster at W, and saw the chaplain instead who was as warm and friendly as Mr B at Trinity, both schools are more or less on a par with us.

The sports thing at W is a bit of a concern for me as DS is more the keen, enthusiastic, will have a go at anything type.Bless him!

Nobody mentions the various clubs which seem to be so avidly promoted by both W&T. Are the kids actually encouraged to get involved? DS got very excited when he saw the list of clubs on offer, especially at W.

Why does it take so long for the schools to post their offers? Are they still interviewing? Deliberating? Eliminating? hmm Surely they know by now who they want or don't want, don't they?

cooney Mon 07-Feb-11 16:00:13

Stressederica, my DS1 was one of 3 boys who was NEVER picked for any team at this prep. Has taken up rowing at W and loves it. 4 sessions a week, two on water and two in the gym his fitness levels have increased dramatically (thats all I care about). He has been chosen for team for several races. He is happy and I am happy. As they say there is a sport for everyone. (though I'm not sure about my DS3)

Caoimhe Mon 07-Feb-11 17:51:02

stressederica, so you saw Canon B? A bit of a character, no?

That looong wait for the letters is horrible - fingers crossed for you and others waiting.

BTW, last year a big envelope (A4) was good news and a small envelope was bad news.

stressederica Mon 07-Feb-11 17:54:33

Thanks for this Cooney
This is exactly what I'm hoping for for my DS. I'd really like him to find a sport that he enjoys and happy to put the effort in. It's funny but during the W interview he was asked which sports he'd like to try in the future and his answer was rowing! Like you said, there must be a sport out there for him. His swimming is quite good, so that might be something for him. Otherwise there's always Mah Jong I suppose!

stressederica Mon 07-Feb-11 18:00:51

Yes Caoimhe, definitely a character! Very weirdly, during the interview, I couldn't get the image of Paul O'Grady out of mind! It made it very hard to concentrate on what he was actually saying!
Bless him, he did come across as very warm and friendly. He did not actually ask us any questions as such. He was very positive about our DS and said that he'd done very well in the exams. I can't help wondering whether it's the same chat that he gives to everybody. What's your take on this?

Really dreading the small envelope now!

morethanlikely Mon 07-Feb-11 19:05:14

I was feeling quite calm- in whatever will be will be mode- that was before i saw the comment about small envelopes!!

Caoimhe Mon 07-Feb-11 19:42:40

God, sorry I mentioned the envelopes now!!!! sad

BTW waiting list places and rejections are both in small envelopes so a little envelope doesn't mean all is lost!!!

PMSL at the Paul O'Grady comparison - I know exactly what you mean. smile He is quite a smiley, warm bloke, though. I'm not sure he says much to anybody!!!!

basildonbond Mon 07-Feb-11 20:10:09

apparently Canon B is a fantastic teacher - he never shouts but always has control of the class, which when you're talking about a group of pre-teen boys doing a subject which compels them to argue is no mean feat grin

SoupDragon Tue 08-Feb-11 11:01:06

I'm not convinced Ws offer came in a big envelope last year. I can't remember.

Club wise, at T they have a Fair kind of thing in the second week or so where they can find. About clubs and sign up for some. DS forgot to go hmm but is now doing swimming after school and paper geometry at one lunchtime. He has also trailed along to pottery when he had lost his swimming trunks so it seems you can just turn up for these things!

Personally, Im gutted he didn't go to Build A Dalek club

SoupDragon Tue 08-Feb-11 11:03:33

The W offer came in a small envelope, T in a big one so I'm not sure you an tell that way

SoupDragon Tue 08-Feb-11 11:05:12

(yes, i am sad enough to have kept both )

cooney Tue 08-Feb-11 17:05:28

DS1 and DS2 letters from W came in the same size (small envelope) although DS1 was bulky with forms to fill in, DS2's sadly was thin with just one letter (to be put on the waiting list).

SoupDragon Tue 08-Feb-11 17:13:21

LOL - I can't believe we're analysing the envelopes Just rip the damn things open

(But yes, I think it's the thickness that counts. [snurk])

stressederica Fri 11-Feb-11 14:33:11

One week to go!confused

cooney Tue 15-Feb-11 12:14:30

Another thin envelope today. Although this time a waiting list for St Georges College. Finger nails are ever diminishing.

stressederica Wed 16-Feb-11 19:43:28

Sorry to hear that. What are your other options?

4schoolmum Thu 17-Feb-11 11:23:29

Hi Everyone....nail biting day today with the results being posted...has anyone been brave enough to phone the school and ask??? I just had a friend round for coffee and she had no qualms about phoning the school her daughter had applied to ahead of time...she thinks I should just phone but I'm terrified it will be a no....

4schoolmum Thu 17-Feb-11 11:26:25

OK..the envelope thing has also freaked me out!!
Ha ha we are mad aren't we......the decision has been made now anyway so we are really seeking comfort/cushioning ourselves in case of rejection i suppose.

4schoolmum Thu 17-Feb-11 11:27:55

Also wishing I had also applied to Whitgift having read the discussions about the entrance exams. We didn't even look at it.

morethanlikely Thu 17-Feb-11 12:19:07

Brave friend ringing the school to find out, 4schoolmum.I'd be worried about completely embarrassing myself and bursting into tears if rejected. mind you the state I'm in i'd probably do the same if accepted. Ds totally oblivious to any importance attached to tomorrow.

Sammysilver Fri 18-Feb-11 10:59:13

This is SO nervewracking...

stressederica Fri 18-Feb-11 12:02:04

Great news! DS got offers at both W and T with scholarships! Cannot believe it! I wish everyone still waiting the best of luck. I won't mention the envelope.

SoupDragon Fri 18-Feb-11 12:04:00

God... is it today? It was half term last time

Congrats to your DS, stressederica... are you a little less stressed now? Which to choose though...

Sammysilver Fri 18-Feb-11 13:08:53

Woo Hoo! My boy's got into W. No scholasrhsip but we're just so thrilled!

cooney Fri 18-Feb-11 16:14:10

Well done to your ds's. Which is your son going to go for stressederica or maybe it is "notsostressederica" now!

stressederica Fri 18-Feb-11 18:19:59

Well done Sammysilver.
Cooney, SoupDragon, thanks very much. Definitely not so stressed now! smile
Now, which one? Similar level of scholarships, both T and W offering the same facilities, both easy to get to, T possibly easier especially initially when DS still so young, so don't know what to do yet. We need to mull it over for a few days.
Any advice on pros and cons of both schools most welcome from all of you, especially from anybody with experience of T or W.
What a great day! So proud of DS! smile

mummax Fri 18-Feb-11 18:52:28

Brilliant news!smile Our DS got T and W. He really worked hard and so deserves it. Very proud of him.smile

bilton2 Fri 18-Feb-11 19:54:17

well done to those who did it! The boys must have worked really hard!

We're going to try again next year. Anyone else in this boat?

SoupDragon Sat 19-Feb-11 08:46:17

well done indeed.

DS2 sits the 11+ ones next year so I am going through it again having had a year off.

Pros and cons of WvT... Hmmm... I loved Whitgift. It grabbed my heart and my soul and I simply adored it. Watching their promotional DVD in the headmaster's speech brought tears to my eyes as I imagined my boys there. However, I chose Trinity.

Why? I left Triinity feeling that the headmaster actually cares for the boys at his school. Whilst I am sure he doesn't, you get the feeling that he knows each and every one of them.

I left my interview with the head of W feeling like I'd been sent there for bad behaviour whereas the T head walked me back to the meeting room to wait for DS1 to finish his interviews and we chatted, friendly inconsequential smalltalk. I felt entirely at ease and at that point my decision was made.

On a more practical level, I chose T because they said they would encourage boys who were keen at sport but not gifted at it which describes DS1 perfectly (he would have done well at either school TBH but seemed to have more chance of fun at T IYSWIM) Now, this inclusive sport thing has yet to fully materialise but it is probably far more difficult due to him being in the "bulge" year. There are simply too many boys to play in teams.

I also left with the feeling that T was the right school for DS2, and Ideally I wanted them at the same one for convenience. I felt that W would hammer his square peg into their round hole whereas T would gently sand off his sharp edges and find his niche. Whilst very bright, he has emotional issues which I felt would be better supported by T.

Facilities wise, both are superb as you would expect. W is everything you imagine a private school to be with its eons of history soaked into the wood panelling. Having moved from a similar site where the Whitgoft Center now is in the 60s/70s, Trinity is undoubtedly an uglyish building. However, it is light and airy and modern inside and seems to have space for the boys to breathe.

I think that W seduces you with it's grounds and history and exploding watermelons at the open day. Ts seduction is less blatant This suits me well. We are not a private school family (IYSWIM) and I think I would have felt completely out of place at W. I am confident that DS won't emerge at the end of his time at T feeling superior because of his education (and I have already made it quite clear that I will not tolerate this from him! )

I like that T has introduced girls into the 6th form from this Sept. To me this shows that they are forward thinking and open to change.

There is nothing concrete to choose between the two schools IMO. It is all down to gut feeling and what is the right environment for your son.

stressederica Sat 19-Feb-11 14:53:05

Thank you so much SoupDragon. You've been very helpful.smile
In terms of facilities, achievement and performance, both schools are equally attractive. We have not met the headmaster at W, so cannot personally compare him to Mr B at Trinity. I was expecting a very formal interview at W, possibly in a wood-pannelled room and to my surprise,our interview took place in a room above the gym and the chaplain couldn't have been warmer or friendlier. That's why this decision is going to be such a difficult one. We are not a private school family either and we're very new to all this. Hearing from other people who've been through this before and who actually have children at these schools is definitely very helpful. But I suppose you're right, it will probably come down to gut feeling and finding the school that we think is right for our son.

SoupDragon Sat 19-Feb-11 15:26:04

I don't think you can go wrong with either if you have no strong feeling either way.

Our W interview was also above the gym I think - kind of like a conference centre! Then we had to go to the old part of the school where we waited in a room straight out of some period drama, being served drinks, before going into the heads office which was panelled, lined with books and had a very hard leather sofa to sit on. I'm told that others saw a dog napping over by the antique desk but I can't confirm that Rather surreal anyway.

SoupDragon Sat 19-Feb-11 15:28:29

Actually, the headmaster's weekly newsletter on the Trinity website makes good reading. I couldnt' find an equivalent from Whitgift to compare it to unfortunately but I think they convey the feeling of the school quite well. I think my favourite was the one from the Week of Snow.

stressederica Sat 19-Feb-11 15:42:46

How come we weren't invited to the period room? envy
Just a table outside with a few glasses and some orange juice! No leather sofas for us, not even hard ones!
Thanks for the tip about the newsletter. I'll have a look at that. smile

SoupDragon Sat 19-Feb-11 15:56:30

It's because you didn't turn up in period costume. Those hard chairs in the conference room were a nightmare with my bustle. Not that I needed one <<eyes fat arse warily>>

Caoimhe Sat 19-Feb-11 18:41:37

LOL - I definitely saw that dog in the W headmaster's office - some sort of spaniel-type thing (can you tell I know nothing about dogs!!)

I had been warned about it by other parents, though, so I was on the look-out for it!

BTW, huge congratulations to everyone who had good news. Nothing to add to SoupDragon's superb synopsis above except to say that I'm sure W doesn't have a Dalek building club! grin

SoupDragon Sun 20-Feb-11 00:20:40

I so want to be in Dalek Building Club!

stressederica Sun 20-Feb-11 09:12:51

Now, that is tempting! A Dalek Building Club!
What about those W purple cloaks though! Decisions! Decisions!hmm

Caoimhe Sun 20-Feb-11 11:09:39

Ds is in Dalek building club. They are making it out of wood, which is quite tricky!!!! There was almost a disaster a few weeks ago after some ill- advised cutting but all was saved by a teacher!!

SoupDragon Sun 20-Feb-11 18:12:24

I'm jealous.

TulaHatti Mon 21-Feb-11 10:41:22

Just joining this thread - DS has offers from W&T with scholarship/bursary. Not sporty.

We had interview with Dr Cannon at W, who was great - very enthusiastic Head of English. Had great feeling about W and all boys met there. T similarly good in different more "progressive" (?) way.

W easier for us to get too, but also waiting to hear about Wilsons Grammar School which is free.

What to do? Anyone with experience of Wilsons please?

cooney Tue 22-Feb-11 16:48:39

A friend's DS is at Wilsons, he is happy there.

stressederica Tue 22-Feb-11 17:30:39

Hi all,

Decision made! W it is, despite T being closer and my first choice up until the interviews.
Why? We were pleasantly surprised by our interview with Canon B at W. He was very welcoming and really made us feel at ease. He was also very forthcoming about the performance of DS in the exams and the support that he would benefit from at W whereas we came away from the interview at T, feeling somewhat disappointed in that we weren't really told what they could do for DS, how keen they were on him joining the school etc. Instead, the emphasis was put on how oversubscribed the school was and how they really did not want to have 3 classes.

There's really not much between the two schools in terms of academic performance, extra-curricular activities, sporting achievements etc. DS has generous scholarships from both.

I think that it came down to a question of gut feeling, just like SoupDragon said. We just feel that W is the school for DS and only hope now that we've made the right choice.

Thank you very much for all your help. smile

albird Tue 22-Feb-11 19:24:05

New to thread - find it very interesting!

Anyone know if many boys go to W from Beckenham area?? Need to make decision and am worried about this aspect.

stressederica Wed 23-Feb-11 07:52:28

Hi albird, welcome smile
We're in Beckenham and have also been agonising over this aspect. Talked to the school yesterday about the school bus and looks like the closest pick up point to us is Langley Park Schools or Chinese garage. This still means that DS will need to be dropped off and picked up from there.DS is only 10 and I don't really want him trvaelling on public transport by himself to W.
Whereabouts in Beckenham are you? We're opposite the Beckenham Beacon. Is your DS starting in year 6 or 7?

stressederica Wed 23-Feb-11 07:53:56

Sorry! I meant 'travelling' and not 'trvaelling'!grin.

generalhaig Wed 23-Feb-11 09:22:54

stressed I'm sure your ds will be v happy at W - ds loves it there

he started in y6 and has been happily making the journey on public transport ever since the first week - it's one of the highlights of his day as it's very sociable - he has 'train friends' some of whom overlap with his 'school friends' but some are in different years

albird Wed 23-Feb-11 09:58:30

stressed - we are near the school bus stops but would probably take him by car at first (though I am sure he will want to take bus as soon as he can!) - more worried about having friends close by. He would be going into Y7.

cooney Wed 23-Feb-11 12:10:23

Congratulations on making your decision stressederica, and welcome to W, it is wonderful school. It has certainly exceeded our expectations in terms of quality of service. My son is quite content in himself and has even been know to hum while doing his homework something we had never experienced before! Your DS will be tired for the first part of half term, but once you are through that life gets much easier. The existing boys in the school were able to assure my DS that this would be so, otherwise we would probably have been worried that he might spend the next 5 years of his life permanently exhausted.

SoupDragon Wed 23-Feb-11 15:05:17

DS1 gets the school bus to T - he also has a Bus Gang with 3 other boys in his year, none of whom are in his class, so it has been good for extending his friendship circle. He loves getting the bus and, being a Mean Mother, I made him get it from Day 1.

I don't think local friends is such an issue at secondary. (One of DSs classmates is from Beckenham, although this is T, not W.)

SoupDragon Wed 23-Feb-11 15:07:28

Personally I think it would be unlikely for you to make a choice of either W or T and wish you'd chosen the other.

albird Wed 23-Feb-11 17:53:24

Thanks SoupDragon. I am sure you are right about the friends - he's not bothered by it at all so I think its just something for me to get used to - our problem isn't W or T (we've narrowed it down that far!) but W and another school- but that would start a whole new thread!

stressederica Thu 24-Feb-11 07:55:41

Thank you generalhaig and cooney for feedback on W. You are all so helpful! Glad to hear that both your DSs are doing well at W.

generalhaig, did your ds travel on his own on public transport from the start? Where did he travel from? I'm hoping that we will eventually end up with the same scenario, i.e. where he finds friends to travel with. This is the only aspect that is still troubling me. I still walk DS to school.

Cooney, thanks for the tip about the exhaustion. We have been warned. DS probably wouldn't know what's hit him. He is enjoying such a cruise at his current school that he'll probably get the shock of his life.

Has any of the DSs ever used the school bus service? It just seems to leave the school so late. Do the boys have lots of extra-curricular activities after school? When do they do their homework? Is there a lot of it?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm a first timer!

generalhaig Thu 24-Feb-11 08:06:04

stressederica - yes, ds went by public transport from the start - we did a phased withdrawal for the first week - day 1 dh went with him all the way to the school gates and I picked him up, day 2 dh went on the train but left him at South Croydon, and I met him at South Croydon on the way home, day 3 we took him to the station here (one of the Streatham ones) etc so by the end of the week he was happily skipping off by himself. He had a cheap PAYG mobile so if there was a problem with the trains he could let us know. It was all remarkably easy and they do grow up enormously very quickly.

It helped that we have a simple journey with no changes and that there are loads of boys on that train plus a couple of teachers - the W boys tend to stick to the same carriage and by the time they get to South Croydon there's about 35 of them all trooping down the hill. The older ones are very good at looking out for the littlies if needed.

Homework - there's not too much (although ds would probably disagree) = certainly less than friends with dc at the grammars - if they get the school bus they either do an after school club or go to the junior library and get most of their homework done there

first half term is absolutely shattering - they really need that 2 week half term break - and they come back from it rejuvenated and ready to go

a lot of them are in the same situation - many have been big fish in very small ponds, cruising along at the top of the class with minimal effort and finding themselves in a group of similar boys can come as a bit of a shock ...

stressederica Thu 24-Feb-11 12:11:39

Great generalhaig! We'll give the 'phased withdrawal' technique a go. DS's journey on public transport would involve tram or train plus bus from East Croydon. Once he's through the first term, I'm hopeful that things will get easier and that he'll settle in nicely and get used to the new routine. I so agree with 'big fish in very small ponds'. DS has got to a point where he really needs to be challenged and pushed and being with boys of similar abilities will definitely stimulate and encourage him to use his full potential. So much to look forward to! Like any other mum, I just want him to be happy. smile

cooney Thu 24-Feb-11 15:53:42

DS takes the school bus (he hasn't enough hands to carry kit bag, school bag and various instruments - including doublebass). Twice he has missed the bus and had to take public transport (doublebass stayed at home!), first time was rather nerve racking for him until he got to the station and there were a number of other W boys at the station and he followed them. At East Croydon he met 5 boys from his own class and came to school with them. The bus does leave late however DS has something on nearly everyday until the bus leaves. On the rare occasion that something is cancelled I'm afraid that it is not homework he chooses to do but 'chat' with his friends, but is OK too as there has to be time for friends also. Now, though I don't need to call him in the morning he is up showered and packed by 6.30. I'm no longer like a fishwife in the mornings trying to get him out of bed and in the car at 8.00am. It's a calmer world all round.

SoupDragon Fri 25-Feb-11 10:57:26

You're not longer like a fishwife?? How the hell did you manage that?

cooney Fri 25-Feb-11 14:52:04

Ok still like a fishwife at bedtime!

stressederica Mon 28-Feb-11 10:22:51

Thanks for all your reassurances. Somehow, I can't imagine DS being up, showered and packed by 6.30! Who knows? I may be in for a surprise. We'll use the school bus service for the first year and see how we get on. DS is very excited about starting at W and really can't wait!

albird Mon 28-Feb-11 14:38:01

stresseserica

We accepted the place at Whitgift this morning - I feel a lot better now! I will take DS for first term and see how it goes, then think about the bus - may see you at the bus stop!! I can always offer lifts in emergencies!

Good luck to your DS in year 6.

stressederica Mon 28-Feb-11 19:29:46

Great! Congratulations! See you at the bus stop. We'll start DS off on the school bus and see how he gets on. Thanks for the offer of lifts in emergencies. smile Same here!

Good luck to your DS too. Isn't it so exciting for them?

I have to figure out how to keep DS interested and focused at school for the next couple of months! He thinks he's entitled to a very long extended holiday!

4schoolmum Thu 10-Mar-11 21:13:38

Postscript.......We got the right envelope!!!

morethanlikely Fri 11-Mar-11 09:42:09

Congratulations to your DS!

Got the right envelope too. DS starts W Sept.

bandasmum Sun 18-Sep-11 14:36:15

Hi

My DS will be trying for the 10+ at both T and W in Feb 2012. can anyone advise if we have any hope of getting a bursary, our income is low but we have a lot of equity in our property, is it worth trying at all? He is also going to try for a sports scholarship. Also, if we do apply for a bursary place and he passes the exam and excels at the sporting appraisals but we are not awarded a bursary does that exclude him from being offered a "normal" place with maybe a scholarship?

Ladymuck Sun 18-Sep-11 15:30:12

At the risk of being a pedant, the 10+ exam is in January, not February. I believe that your question should be answered here, but basically the scholarships are awarded by the school and the bursaries are awarded by the Foundation. So it is perfectly possible, and reasonably common, to have both a scholarship and bursary. The school decides how much they want him (either as a normal entrance or with a scholarship) and then the Foundation determine what if any bursary he could be awarded. At the girls school there is a "no bursary before 11+" rule, so it may be worth asking whether you have a better chance at either 10+ or 11+.

Asterisk Sun 02-Oct-11 19:31:39

Hi all. Does anyone know if the verbal reasoning at T is multiple choice or not? I forgot to ask at the open day yesterday. Thanks!

ROZ12 Wed 02-Nov-11 01:41:52

Hi all,

Do any of you know a good tutor for private school entrance tests in Croydon area?

Private message be great with any contact details.

Thanks

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 08:45:09

Hi all

Has anyone sat for W last week?? My son sat and said he feels it went quite well. He is sitting T next week, we are just hoping for one of them.
My son is 'very enthusiastic' for W but goes to state school and therefore doesn't get the additional support the private schools give.
Would like to hear from others.

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 08:48:09

Hi the vr at W wasn't...would assume similar at T

SoupDragon Sat 07-Jan-12 08:50:10

DS2 sat W and also feels he did well. Who knows? grin He's also at state primary, as was DS1.

He's also doing T and DS1 goes there. TBH, I don't care which DS2 gets to (vague preference for T I guess but I"m not overly bother). Whichever wants him the most can have him grin

Assuming someone wants him.

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 09:23:49

Hi, my DS is our first!! We didn't even think of these schools until he was in yr5 and went for a week exchange programme and came home saying "I want that as my senior school!!!".
My hubby is preferential to W but I like both...wasn't sure of W at first but now after a second visit and chat with HM I am equally happy with both. Just hope he done enough for interview!!!
Have you applied to state schools too???? grin
Hope your DS does well

SoupDragon Sat 07-Jan-12 09:36:35

Yes our fall back state schools are Wilsons and Riddlesdown.

I think the feel at T & W are very different. I felt comfortable at T and slightly "I Shouldn't Be Here" at W. Academically, there's nothing to choose between them really.

Good luck to your DS too smile

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 09:44:48

He didn't like Riddlesdown, did it as a taster for him. Plus it a bit of a distance for us...

Done Wilsons but unfortunately was just off the mark...he done lots of work since then so hopefully he done enough.

He said his other favourit was Shirley High cos of the performing arts and music so he sat that...Roll on March for that one. confused

My preference is W to be truthful!! blush

smile

SoupDragon Sat 07-Jan-12 09:48:36

I don't like Riddlesdown much but at least it is a guaranteed place. DS2 did pass Wilsons although we have no idea whether he is high enough up the list to get a place (340 passed, 120 places or something like that).

DS1 did not pass Wilsons, missed by a few marks, yet gained places at both W and T with a good academic scholarship at T. There is hope!

W - I've said it before and I'll say it again: Flamingos, purple capes and peacocks. What's not to love? grin W will always be my favourite in my heart but my head tells me that T probably suits us better.

SoupDragon Sat 07-Jan-12 09:50:01

When I say I don't like Riddlesdown, it;s because DS2 would just coast along there I think. He is very bright but very lazy and stubborn as hell.

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 09:54:17

It is refreshing to talk to someone who has been and is going through the same as us.
It frightens the hell out of me that my DS is going to big school in September!!!
Lets hope he just gets into one because it will break his heart if he doesn't!!
But we told him his best is good enough for us, if not for them!!!

Here's hoping for a phone call or letter in the next week and the misery waiting for W will be over and we can then just put all our hopes into the other!! lol

Sounds promising if you DS1 was in the same boat as our DS but they look for different things at Wilsons, it because they free!!!!

Oh well a few more grey hairs over the next cpl weeks won't hurt I suppose

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 09:56:45

ooh SoupDragon just seen your second post...Your DS sounds EXACTLY like mine!!! They would get on well if they met!!!! grin

SoupDragon Sat 07-Jan-12 10:13:26

No, they'd probaby form a coalition and coast together smile

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 10:18:51

ha ha wink

beanie34 Sat 07-Jan-12 13:59:26

Have just recieved a call from W inviting our son in for interview early part of next week, feel physically sick! Can anyone tell me what to expect?
Will be so relieved when this whole process is over. Have already gone through it all with DS1 and thought that I would sail through the process without feeling stressed, perhaps not.

SoupDragon Sat 07-Jan-12 14:07:30

LOL. It's just a chat. You won't be pinned down and interrogated. Congratulations smile

When DS1 went, he went in with the interviewer and they chatted about lord knows what and tried out the balloon powered car DS1 had taken in as his "thing" I don't think he was asked any more exam type questions (I think that was a T but I can't be sure).

Then he came out and I went in. The interviewer told me how wonderful my son was and how well he'd done and I kind of stopped concentrating after that grin He was just asking about family stuff, what DS1 was like, inconsequential kind of stuff.

We then had an interview with the head which, personally, I found rather like I"d been summoned for some misdemeanour or other. Again, nothing major was asked or talked about.

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 14:22:21

well done to your son

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 14:23:13

well done to your son

beanie34 Sat 07-Jan-12 14:31:14

Thank you so much for the information. Have calmed down now smile Will be fine on the day. Very pleased that we only have 2 children and looking forward to a few years respite before DS1 goes in for the next wave of applications..UCAS here we come!! Once again many thanks. Now decisions, decisions. Do we take "the pumping heart" or "how to build anything out of lego" too many choices.. LOL

SoupDragon Sat 07-Jan-12 14:43:56

I will be steering DS2 away from anything from the "Forbidden Lego" book or "Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction" smile

It's really just an ice breaker. They use it as something easy to chat to your son about rather than making any kind of judgement about it. Friends have taken photos of sport/music, their favourite book, some stuff about a hobby... that kind of thing.

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 14:47:04

We were thinking of our DS taking in his award for completing 6 years at his drama group...not sure though??? any suggestions gratefully received smile

SoupDragon Sat 07-Jan-12 14:47:53

Can he talk enthusiastically about his drama? That's all that matters I think.

frankies69 Sat 07-Jan-12 14:50:13

Yes I think he probably could!! But you know what boys are like...umms and arghs!!!! He is quite shy and as long as they can get him to open up he be fine...one thing he can talk frankly and fully about is his spinal curve...maybe we should send him in with piccies of his back confused

SoupDragon Sat 07-Jan-12 16:15:19

grin

At least they are completely used to interviewing boys!

moan Tue 10-Jan-12 13:40:35

hi there . does anyone know how many DS are invited for an interview at W and how many are rejected. Also should my DS expect academic questions to be asked at the interview at W . panicking .....interview on thurs.....

SoupDragon Tue 10-Jan-12 15:29:24

DS didn't have academic questions at Whitgift but did at Trinity.

I would imagine the number invited for interview depends on the number who pass. The number rejected would be the difference between this and the intake for the year (although they over offer to a degree on the assumption that not everyone accepts having had offers from other schools)

stressederica Wed 11-Jan-12 15:02:46

Hi all, just joining the post after a year! smile DS is very happy at W and it has definitely exceeded our expectations in terms of opportunities and quality of the teaching. Most of all, I'm just so glad that DS has finally found his place. He's gone from being the oddball at his primary school to someone with an amazing number of friends. He couldn't even fit them all on his page when he was asked about who his friends were! He is with a great bunch of kids who seem to be having the time of their life blowing up stuff in the science lab!

Moan
The interview at W was just a general chat. DS did not have to bring anything in. He was asked about some of the answers he gave in some of the papers, especially about the story he wrote in his English paper which was about a famous explorer. As he had just read a book about him, DS didn't find the interview too stressful. In any case, it was very short. Our interview was equally short. Canon B was very forthcoming in his praise of DS's performance and we came away thinking that he had a good chance of getting in.
The interview at T was slightly different. DS was whisked away for his interview while we had our chat with the headteacher. It was a far more daunting affair for DS as he had to answer various mental maths questions, read a poem, answer questions about it and talk about his CERN souvenir he had brought with him! Headteacher at T wasn't as forthcoming with information regarding DS's performance and we weren't sure where we stood after the interview. It was all very vague as if he didn't want to reveal too much.
We got generous offers from both and our decision to go for W was just based on the feeling that it was the right school for our DS and we could picture him there and so far, judging by how enthusiastic and keen DS is to go to school very morning despite the early start and long days, we feel that we definitely made the right decision!

Generalhaig and albird, how are your sons getting on at W?

SoupDragon Wed 11-Jan-12 15:33:37

Interesting - the head teacher at T was very forthcoming about DS1's performance when he we were there two years ago (as was Mr Beck at W). I found the head at W too intimidating and came away with the Feel Good Factor for Trinity instead grin

It's really interesting how people have different experiences and get a different feel about a school isn't it? It will be very interesting to see if I get the same kind of feel should DS2 get interviews at both.

albird Wed 11-Jan-12 17:40:29

Reading this post brings back so many memories of sleepless nights last year!!

My DS is at W in year 7 and really enjoying it - as stressederica says - despite having to get up so early he leaps out of the car to go to school.

Our interview experience was similar to stressederica's - he was asked about his essay but also he was asked some maths questions and about the history period he was doing at school. It was a tough interview and we sat in for the end of it (I had to stop myself answering the questions for him!). However when we were interviewed without DS we got such wonderful feedback from the interviewer we felt that the school really wanted him. In T interview he had to talk about the 'item' he took in - nothing too difficult. Think it depends on whether its a scholarship interview or not. Last year at T I believe parents were only interviewed if DS was a scholarship candidate whereas W interviewed all parents.

We are delighted with our decision - good luck to everyone having interviews over next few weeks.

FarmerBarleymow Wed 11-Jan-12 21:21:01

My son sat the 10+ exams at both W and T last week. Have any of you received letters or phone calls yet?

basildonbond Wed 11-Jan-12 21:57:36

hi stressed (I was generalhaig)

ds still v happy at W - definitely the right place for him

the vast majority of teachers are excellent (have had one or two slightly weaker ones over the years, but nothing to worry about) and I really feel that they know ds, both the good bits and the bad ...

SoupDragon Thu 12-Jan-12 11:50:44

Woohoo! Just been invited to interview at Whitgift smile

havinganightmare Thu 12-Jan-12 12:04:18

fantastic SoupDragon - well done DS2! We're off there today!!! grin

Ladymuck Thu 12-Jan-12 12:07:17

grin

Good luck to ds2. Make sure that his top shirt button is done up!!!

Seeline Thu 12-Jan-12 12:16:36

Hi Farmer - we do did both 10+ last week. No news yet.

SoupDragon Thu 12-Jan-12 12:21:01

Let's hope you don't have a nightmare today then grin

DS2 won't have his top button done up because I won't be dressing him in a shirt and tie or his school uniform smile

SoupDragon Thu 12-Jan-12 12:22:08

Although by a stroke of luck, earlier today I booked haircuts this evening for all three children so at least he won't resemble a sheepdog!

Blisstina Thu 12-Jan-12 12:24:37

My DS sat the W test last Thurs. 3 boys from his school have been called for interviews already. 2 by text and email last on Monday and 1 by letter yesterday. my son's surname is lower alphabetically if they select alphabetically? and I believe he is boarderline, any information out there?. i'm beginning to fret........

SoupDragon Thu 12-Jan-12 12:26:19

They don't select alphabetically, no. It will most likely be in order of papers marked - as a batch are marked, they send invitations out to another set of boys for interview. The phone ones would have been the first papers marked and they were phoned to get the process started quickly.

Blisstina Thu 12-Jan-12 12:30:49

my friend had suggested that it wasn't alphabetical. i haven't had the dreaded rejection letter so am still hoping something will arrive tomorrow! so stressful, and DS will be anxious as his classmates have been contacted :-(
thanks

frankies69 Thu 12-Jan-12 15:00:17

Well done Soupy...we got interview letter yesterday for our DS. Hopefully he will do well...I however am going to put a tie on my DS whether he likes it or not!! wink
hope your DS2 gets on well

stressederica Thu 12-Jan-12 15:01:36

Congratulations Soupy grin
It will indeed be interesting to get your feedback on W interviews this year.
Generalhaig and albird, nice to hear that your boys are enjoying the 'Whitgift life'!

SoupDragon Thu 12-Jan-12 15:38:01

One good reason for not putting DS2 in a tie is because the only one we have is a Trinity tie grin

morethanlikely Thu 12-Jan-12 15:56:49

Hi
just wanted to wish you all well.
i was also an anxious parent last year. In the long wait for that interview letter I began to seriously doubt my own judgement re DS's academic ability. However all things ended well. For those applying to W my DS is in year 7 and he is having a great time.

Ladymuck Thu 12-Jan-12 15:57:03

Yes, that would be sending a message, wouldn't it!

Good luck!

morethanlikely Thu 12-Jan-12 15:57:42

Hi
just wanted to wish you all well.
i was also an anxious parent last year. In the long wait for that interview letter I began to seriously doubt my own judgement re DS's academic ability. However all things ended well. For those applying to W my DS is in year 7 and he is having a great time.

FarmerBarleymow Thu 12-Jan-12 21:21:58

Hi havinganightmare! Well done to your son for getting an interview at W today. How did it go?

havinganightmare Thu 12-Jan-12 22:52:21

Not sure how to read these things but I didn't really get a great vibe about it although DS said his interview went "well" whatever that means! He was asked a few maths questions, of which he got two right and one right on the second guess (his words!). He was very pleasant and quite complimentary about DS but I'm not sure. However, as we've never done anything like this before I have nothing to judge it against! Everything crossed please as DS now wants to go there more than ever - typical! I need to lie down for about a year....

moan Fri 13-Jan-12 08:43:08

Has anyone any tips and advice on Eltham college exams and interviews. Now very very anxious nervous figure !

Blisstina Fri 13-Jan-12 11:51:19

just throwing this out there.. My DS hasn't been called for an interview for W as yet?? (though slowly loosing hope) We did however receive a letter from the foundation today re his Bursary (requesting more information etc..) I'm assuming the two are not that closely linked, as separate offices etc.. anyone know anything on this subject????

Thanks

SoupDragon Fri 13-Jan-12 12:01:41

They are separate offices.

SoupDragon Fri 13-Jan-12 12:02:52

That is the Whitgift Foundation is completely separate offices to Whitgift School. One does communicate with the other though, obviously.

frankies69 Fri 13-Jan-12 13:16:51

Oh Blisstina poor you!! sad I am sure your DS has done well. smile
Did he sit for T too?? We have heard from W but not T. Still hoping for interview at T, just wondering has anyone started receiving phone calls for T yet??. confused

We too have applied for a bursary so perhaps they are working through these now.

Hopefully you will hear soon smile

SWStressed Fri 13-Jan-12 13:19:19

Does anyone have expereince of the sports assessment day at Whitgift? Any top tips?

frankies69 Fri 13-Jan-12 14:10:58

Hi all again
Has anyone started hearing from Trinity yet?? hmm
Got interview on Monday for W but as my DS has sat for both would like to interview for both wink
Any interview feedback for W be good too smile
thanks

keepingittogether Fri 13-Jan-12 15:38:57

We just heard today that our DS has been invited for the sports assessment on Monday and an Interview Wednesday. So nervous, even phoned W to ask "does this mean he passed the exam" Doh! I understand the 'sports' is a combination of football, hockey, cricket and Rugby and they just want to see that DS lives up to their expectation which is high in terms of sports ability. A friend whose DS is at W says they grade them (0%, 5%, 10% etc unto 50%) in terms of award. But apparently success at interview is not related to the scholarship appraisal. If I thought I was nervous before today then I am a wreck now!!

frankies69 Fri 13-Jan-12 15:47:54

Good luck to ur DS! grin
MyDS is having interview monday, keeping everything crossed smile

keepingittogether Fri 13-Jan-12 16:22:52

Good luck for Monday smile

frankies69 Fri 13-Jan-12 16:48:21

thanks

FarmerBarleymow Fri 13-Jan-12 16:55:07

@those who have heard from both/either school...well done! I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that this is for 11+. Anyone heard from 10+ at either W or T?

Marbleslonggone Fri 13-Jan-12 16:58:21

Feel sick as we've had a W interview but haven't been invited for sports assessment next week although we applied for sports scholarship.... Oh dear .... Good luck everyone else. I'm gutted and DS will be v sad.

Kabba Fri 13-Jan-12 17:17:55

My DS son did the sports assessment last year (age 9) and is having another go this year for 11+ - his assessment is on Thursday. He loved the day and found all of it enjoyable but was exhausted by the end. He came out saying what a great day it was as he got to play sport ALL day. This is what they did last year - the staff speak to everyone including parents at the beginning to say they understand everyone nervous etc but to try and enjoy it which I think is the best advice. They split them into their relevant entrance age groups and do a variety of fitness/agility/speed/power tests in the sports hall in the morning - so more than other schools do for sports assessments as most only do the bleep test in terms of fitness testing but nothing difficult or you could necessarily train for (well not before next week!). Then they do about 40 mins of each of rugby, cricket, hockey and football (not necessarily in that order). I am not sure if the swimmers and tennis player applicants do all those four sports on top of their individual sports assessment but my DS had to do those 4 sports - he is a football and rugby player and none of the boys in his group had ever played hockey which the school expect to be the case and he is no cricketer. They got no feedback from the staff just instructions and were observed and notes taken - apart from performance and potential i think they are also marked on how they cope, work as a team, communicate etc (my view i don't know this for fact). There were breaks throughout and a DS was very complimentary about lunch in the canteen! Good luck everyone

Kabba Fri 13-Jan-12 17:22:40

i forgot to say they told everyone last year well done for being selected for assessment as they had 350 applicants for sports scholarship (across the 3 entrance ages) and of those only 150 were invited for assessment

Margoswaltz Fri 13-Jan-12 17:51:08

Has anyone heard fromTrinity 10+ yet for a boy who is not applying for a scholarship?

SWStressed Fri 13-Jan-12 17:52:04

My son's sports assessment is Thursday so they obviously run a few so I wouldn't be too despondent yet

frankies69 Fri 13-Jan-12 17:55:53

Good luck to all the boys...Any news on the T interview dates yet??

gazzalw Fri 13-Jan-12 18:38:07

Just out of interest MNetters, have any of your DSs done grammar school 11+ exams too? And if they are offered a place at a grammar school and either/or/both Whitgift and Trinity schools, which school place would you accept and why - just curious as DS has done grammar school exams but not for either of the above private schools....

Ladymuck Fri 13-Jan-12 19:36:39

Have you been on a tour of the schools?

SoupDragon Fri 13-Jan-12 19:37:51

DS2 passed the test for Wilsons but I would want him to go to Trinity or Whitgift.

SoupDragon Fri 13-Jan-12 19:38:54

Oh, because he will perform better in a smaller class and I think Trinity or Whitgift will have the time to change his energies better.

gazzalw Fri 13-Jan-12 21:22:13

Thanks for feedback! Just interesting to hear what others have to say. And no, Ladymuck, we didn't do a tour of the schools - fraid to say it didn't really even cross our minds to consider private schools too....

FarmerBarleymow Fri 13-Jan-12 21:35:29

@Margoswaltz- my DS sat 10+ at T and have not heard anything. Fingers crossed for us all.......

frankies69 Fri 13-Jan-12 22:13:59

that makes me feel better if no-one has started hearing!!smile

frankies69 Sat 14-Jan-12 10:27:44

Hi all, just heard Trinity have started phoning...interviews start next Tuesday so good luck to everyone smile

SoupDragon Sat 14-Jan-12 11:08:25

Bugger... I'm out!

FarmerBarleymow Sat 14-Jan-12 11:27:33

@Soup...really? I thought you had an interview lined up??

FarmerBarleymow Sat 14-Jan-12 11:30:21

Sorry Soup...just read Frankie's post and it all makes sense now...shows how razzled my head is at the moment!
@Margoswaltz re. 10+..heard from W today, interview this week.

frankies69 Sat 14-Jan-12 11:45:38

We out to so just hope if T ring they will try our mobiles hmm or atleast leave a message

pooziepuzzle Sat 14-Jan-12 12:00:39

Hi all, has anyone heard if rejection letters have gone out from W? I have heard nothing plus I have applied for sports scholarship and no news. losing hope as sports tests this week.

frankies69 Sat 14-Jan-12 12:58:25

Maybe if u not heard by end nxt wk ring them, but if last yr is anything to go by some interviews took 3 weeks plus. Try not to worry smile

Margoswaltz Sat 14-Jan-12 13:04:31

Heard from T this morning. Interview in a couple in weeks.

SoupDragon Sat 14-Jan-12 13:26:23

Grrrr - no phone message.

I am up at Trinity this evening and am considering attempting to hack into their computer systems :0

frankies69 Sat 14-Jan-12 13:52:14

haha Soup look for us too if you do...we didn't get a call either...you DS1 is there isn't he? Do they give any extra points to being a sibling of a student???

frankies69 Sat 14-Jan-12 13:53:03

well done Margos DS

SoupDragon Sat 14-Jan-12 14:12:47

I guess that depends on the quality of the original sibling...

FarmerBarleymow Sat 14-Jan-12 15:26:44

@PoozieP..look back at morethanlikely's post on previous page which has comforting words!
@Margos DS..well done!

Caoimhe Sat 14-Jan-12 15:49:05

Wow, I can't believe it is two years since I went through this (ds now in Y8 at Trinity). Reading your posts brings it all back!!! I remember how horribly stressful it was.

Good luck to all of you - fingers crossed for interviews and lovely offers in the post come February! smile

frankies69 Sat 14-Jan-12 15:58:33

seems like such a long wait!!! Never mind we half way there got our interview Monday at W...just waiting on that call from T and our DS will be an even happier bunny!!!!grin

Seeline Sat 14-Jan-12 20:27:02

Yey - interviews at both for 10+!! Anyone take up the 'offer' of a parents interview at T - if yes why and what happened? Thanks.

FarmerBarleymow Sat 14-Jan-12 20:59:19

@10+ parents...any of your boys told to bring something in for interview at W?

beanie34 Sat 14-Jan-12 21:13:30

Sigh of relief, W interview over and done with, think it went fairly well and DS seemed positive. When I went in all I heard was "He did very well in the test" and "What a nice child he was" before I tuned out and probably gave a terribly garbled response. I seem to remember saying something about what a wonderful school it was and how much DS liked it. We also recieved a letter today inviting DS for interview at RGS and have sat CLF and the grammars with pass mark achieved for Wilsons. What a performance, hoping that out of all the above we will have at least one yes!
Preference for W it has to be said, fingers crossed time. Good luck to everyone else out there.

SoupDragon Sun 15-Jan-12 10:08:27

I didn't get "offered" an interview with the headmaster at Trinity when DS1 was applying, I had to go! I can't remember if the wording of "offered an interview with the HM" was the same when DS1 did it though.

frankies69 Sun 15-Jan-12 14:37:32

HELP!!!! my stress levels are beginning to rise now...my DS got his interview tomorrow...omg I hope he does well!!! It will break his heart if he don't get in!!! Oh well suppose we will just have to wait and see...off now to iron and double iron everything so nothing stressful to do in the morning. good luck to all boys interviewing and hope it all comes good for us

Seeline Sun 15-Jan-12 14:56:28

Farmer - my Ds has been told to take something for T, but the W letter specifically said that DS does not need to take anything with him. Still not sure wether it is the done thing to ask for an interview with T head or not....

pooziepuzzle Sun 15-Jan-12 15:42:05

frankies69- good luck! At least you have your foot in the door so a lot of the hard work done. Hoping we get some news tomorrow, good of course! By the way my son doesn't even own a tie!!!

SoupDragon Sun 15-Jan-12 15:45:33

They won't be judging you on your ironing skills smile

Nor will they be judging your son on whether he is wearing a tie unless he is wearing tie from the rival school

Just tell your son to relax and be himself.

frankies69 Sun 15-Jan-12 17:01:55

thanks all smile
hopefully he doesn't umm and argh too much!!! shock
february seems like such a long way off at the moment confused
well i suppose you are all right we got a bit further!! smile
@pooziepuzzle fingers crossed for you

Margoswaltz Sun 15-Jan-12 19:49:40

@ frankies69 All the best for tomorrow

frankies69 Mon 16-Jan-12 10:13:50

@ margoswaltz thanks on way now smile

Blisstina Mon 16-Jan-12 12:53:37

Frankies69, hope your DS did well in his interview. i havent heard anything as yet, and also nothing about sports asssessments, which I believe are this week, so losing hope there :-(
PoozieP, have you heard anything today? wishing you luck.
ps.... does anyone know if sports assessments just run this week?
thanks

frankies69 Mon 16-Jan-12 13:49:31

Thanks Blisstina thanks keeping my fingers crossed for you. Have you only tried W or have you tried for others too?

Interview went really well! DS was brimming with pride that he had got this far, and so he should!! wink. Keeping our fingers crossed now for the offer letter!!

Good luck to those who've had/having interviews and those waiting to hear PooziePuzzle and Blisstina brew

keepingittogether Mon 16-Jan-12 14:54:42

Took DS for the sports assessment this morning. There were approximately 25 boys present all for Y6 entry. My son is not academy level rugby, although he is decent all round but not exceptional. Some of the boys were at county level according to the parents I spoke to sad wait and see. collect in an hour. Interview Thursday - then nail biting wait I guess. Torture.

keepingittogether Mon 16-Jan-12 14:55:52

Good Luck Frankies69!!

frankies69 Mon 16-Jan-12 15:16:40

Keepingittogether our interview was very relaxed, all the stress and anxiety for a very chatty chat.
What year is your DS trying for?? We in the year 7 cohort. I am sure your DS has done enough. But good luck for Thursday smile

Asterisk Mon 16-Jan-12 15:59:00

Got the call from T for interview - phew! Very relieved as have put all eggs in one basket as it were. Good luck to everyone else waiting.

frankies69 Mon 16-Jan-12 16:18:48

well done Asterisk DS

frankies69 Mon 16-Jan-12 16:58:44

@soupdragon when do you go for your interview at W? Have you heard from T?
Found out today the no's are winging their way in the post by Friday but the "we want to see you's" are all being done by phone...oh well just a few more days of waiting for the telephone won't kill us I suppose!!!confused
Atleast we had one interview that was very positive...just a waiting game for us now and lots of breathing exercises to stay calm blush

pooziepuzzle Mon 16-Jan-12 17:04:23

Hi Blisstina, still no news. I am finding it very hard not to phone them up and ask as sports assessments this week (not sure if next too). It is driving me nuts not hearing anything when i know boys who have assessments this week. @frankies69- glad today went well.

FarmerBarleymow Mon 16-Jan-12 20:28:11

@to those who have yet to hear, fingers crossed. Heard from T this morning, interview next week, W ths week. Well done to Asterisk and Frankie DS.

frankies69 Mon 16-Jan-12 21:03:44

thanks FarmerBarleymow thanks

havinganightmare Mon 16-Jan-12 21:56:18

Sports assessment are apparently going in to next week so don't be despondent. Letters still being sent out apparently.... Fingers crossed all round. wine

SoupDragOn Tue 17-Jan-12 10:03:46

Whitgift interview done smile Apparently exam showed no weaknesses whatsoever and he is being strongly recommended for a scholarship - whether it materialises or not remains to be seen but on the face of it I would be surprised if he doesn't at least get offered a space. That 1-2 hours of work a week and all the shouting must have paid off grin

Apparently he is very honest about his flaws too hmm

Good luck to anyone still wanting, well done to the who have made it through so far!

Seeline Tue 17-Jan-12 10:06:37

Soupy - so pleased it went well. We've got ours later this week for 10+ - how long were you/DS in there for? Is DS interviewed away from the parents? Getting so stressed about all this!!

SoupDragOn Tue 17-Jan-12 10:32:50

There is absolutely nothing to get stressed about smile. DS2 was interviewed by himself for 10 minutes, I was interviewed by myself for 10 minutes. And by "interviewed" I mean chatted with.

Trinity have just phoned - we are there next week.

frankies69 Tue 17-Jan-12 10:37:30

Well done Soup, still waiting for T wish the phone would ring

Seeline Tue 17-Jan-12 10:40:11

Thanks for the reassurance Soupy and well done on T too! We've got even longer til that one so would be interested to hear anyones comments on T interviews too.

SoupDragOn Tue 17-Jan-12 10:41:46

DS1 did the 11+ interview at Trinity. Much the same as Whitgift although they should take a "thing" along as an ice breaker and may get asked a few academic questions as well.

Seeline Tue 17-Jan-12 10:43:51

Yes - will have to think carefully about teh 'thing' - hate to think what DS's choice would be. I imagine his DS would not go down well grin

SoupDragon Tue 17-Jan-12 10:48:47

It can be anything - a favourite book, something he did at school, his collection of dead animals, that kind of thing

Seeline Tue 17-Jan-12 10:51:11

Do you know my son Soup?!

SoupDragon Tue 17-Jan-12 11:06:02

grin

No, I'm not a stalker, honest!

Blisstina Tue 17-Jan-12 11:49:08

still waiting......@PoozieP, have you heard anything yet? i rang up last Thurs and was told that they wouldn't give out any information over the phone, but that interviews were being conducted this week. sadly we are now nearly into the middle of this week and nothing.
well done to your DS Frankies69, and thanks for well wishes.
well done to all who have had interviews and excellent news re your DS Soupdragon.
@Havinganightmare, thanks for the info re sports assessments, fingers are blue from being crossed sooooo tightly!!!!!
does anyone know when rejection letters are being sent out??????

keepingittogether Tue 17-Jan-12 12:19:49

@Frankies69, Thanks - deep breathing for Thursday now! Interrogated DS over sports assessment (he is trying for y6 at W), which was like pulling teeth (hmmm now thats an idea), about an hour after we got home, he came in and said "Oh something a bit strange did happen Mum, the Rugby coach pulled me out of the group for a few minutes to ask some questions", "WHAT!!???" I asked "Exactly what did you do wrong?". "Oh he just asked if I played for an academy, that kind of stuff". He claimed no one else was taken out of the group. Why he never mentioned this between 4PM and 7:30 PM I will never know.

pooziepuzzle Tue 17-Jan-12 14:10:35

@soup- well done, you can't ask for more than that!
@havinganightmare- ooh, interesting. Fingers crossed.
@blisstina- nothing yet. No post yet today, think the postman is avoiding me, perhaps he knows I am stalking him!!

Asterisk Tue 17-Jan-12 14:24:23

Just wondering... is there joined-up thinking between the head and the teacher doing the interview? Will the head know anything about DS or is that 'chat with parents' an entirely unconnected with the child? Also, is being invited for a 30 min interview at T the norm, or can we be hopeful that it indicates in running for <whisper>scholarship</whisper>?

SoupDragon Tue 17-Jan-12 14:37:29

I think the head will have some knowledge of the child, although when DS1 interviews the head interview was a matter of course rather than "If you want one"

I can't comment on the length as DS1 was being looked at for a scholarship and I assume DS2 is as well (LOL - listen to me: Mrs Smug McSmug of Smugsville!)

Asterisk Tue 17-Jan-12 14:43:01

Thanks Soupdragon. So did they say how long your interview was for when they phoned from T? You're entitled to feel smug! Wish I could too. On hopeful side, nice person phoning seemed to expect us there for head interview, and also said DS did v well in exam. Don't want to be complacent though...

SoupDragon Tue 17-Jan-12 15:39:37

Yes, half an hour.

I am SO glad I have a good few years before I have to do all this with DD. It is utterly horrendous.

frankies69 Tue 17-Jan-12 16:07:40

Well thanks all for good wishes...still sitting with the phone PINNED to my ear and the postman has a tracking device on his foot that goes off when he nears my door!!!! Atleast if we don't get a phone call by Friday we know our DS isn't what T are looking for.
To all those worrying about W interview must say it was fine, we were exceedingly nervous but had a lovely chat and can only keep our fingers crossed. DS done brilliantly in the exam and now it is up to whether he is their sort of thing!!! I AM convinced he is their cup of tea but you never know.
He came out from the interview feeling confident as he did from the exam so if his confidence is anything to go on....he is IN!!!! ha ha grin one exceptionally excited mother here!!!!!

SoupDragon Tue 17-Jan-12 16:33:31

Part of me feels that if they did well enough in one exam, they are uniquely to have stuffed up the other unless they are a borderline case anyway. I don't know...

Asterisk Tue 17-Jan-12 17:21:40

Yeah, Frankie, it seems really unlikely that if he's done so well at W he could have fluffed T. What are you thinking for DD, Soupy? Mine v happy at OP.

FarmerBarleymow Tue 17-Jan-12 18:30:05

Is there a link between who interviews the boys at T and W? Do the more 'senior' teachers interview the scholarship/borderline boys do you think?

SoupDragon Tue 17-Jan-12 19:29:06

DD is 6 in February - I've got a fair while to go before I have to worry about her smile

I don't know about a link between interviewer and boy - the Whitgift one said he was delighted to see DS2 as he "doesn't often get let loose on the scholars". I did wonder if the headmaster at W interviews those boys who are borderline scholarship ones - DS1 was being put fraud for one but I don't think he did well int he HM interview and he didn't get one. DS2 is (apparently) very strongly recommended and didn't see the HM but a friend of his was. I don't know - I guess you can come up with all sorts of theories!

mummax Tue 17-Jan-12 19:45:06

Wow!!! I started this thread 12 months ago, how time flyssmile.
We eventually went with Whitgift. Our DS is in year 7 and having a great time. He has to be reminded that it is not a HOLIDY CAMP!!!
He was concerned about leaving his Prep friends but has made loads of new friends at W.
Good luck to all of you. I remember all to well what you are going through!!!

Seeline Wed 18-Jan-12 09:05:55

DH took the call from T and says he'd stopped concentrating after he'd written down the date and time, but doesn't think we were given a time for the interview length - MEN!! That was on Sat and still waiting for promised confirmation letter. Has everyone else been told it's 1/2 hr??
@SoupDragon - I too have a DD but 8 in July. I've already started worrying about her - there seem to be much fewer opportunities for girls in this area?

beanie34 Wed 18-Jan-12 11:05:47

Has anyone out there received offers from W following interviews last week? Have heard that some letters are coming out this week, trying to hold it together and struggling to be calm, no letter!!!! Words of comfort would be greatly appreciated.

SWStressed Wed 18-Jan-12 11:19:16

I understood that they would not make any offers until 16 February 2012 when they send them all out at once? Are you sure your intelligence is correct? Bit worrying if so.......How was your interview? Did you come away feeling you might be alright?

frankies69 Wed 18-Jan-12 11:30:04

@beanie no letters are being sent till 16 feb in line wiv others smile

Still no news for us from T but no rejection letter either so still hoping

keepingittogether Wed 18-Jan-12 15:53:24

@beanie, I was told that all the offer letters go out together. A friends DS was accepted last year and they (her and five other stressed Mums) all heard at the same time, even though interviews were days/weeks apart.

keepingittogether Wed 18-Jan-12 15:55:07

Just had an excited cal from friend who received an interview date/time from W today for next week - so for anyone waiting they appear to still be in the process. My friend's DS was 11+ not 10+ like mine. smile

frankies69 Wed 18-Jan-12 15:59:58

@keepingittogether...glad our friend has interview date smile

Well we still not heard from T either way and have been told they are ringing and sending letters right up until Friday!! Still gotta wait!!!! sad

Asterisk Wed 18-Jan-12 16:45:13

@frankies69 How utterly agonising. I hope it's good news for you. Did you phone to get the info on what's going on? I wonder if they would divulge how many are being interviewed if one asked directly?

keepingittogether Wed 18-Jan-12 16:52:55

@frankies69 - I am sure it will work out fine and hopefully you will hear soon with a date, then you can relax wine

frankies69 Wed 18-Jan-12 17:09:50

@Asterisk, I rang them to be told everyone will hear by Friday!!! confused they were fine about me asking...but no I don't think they will tell you how many etc. I know a friend heard at 6.30 last night so still a bit of time to go grin

@keepingittogether I would just like to know one way or the other really...whatever the answer and then a large wine will be in order!!!

TheregoesBod Wed 18-Jan-12 17:20:47

Following this thread with interest.

Im thinking of trying DS1 for T and W next year BUT we have no idea of the standard expected. He's a bright lad but no genius, and in a good state primary. Can anyone tell me, are most boys who apply from a prep school background or state and do they have to be super-bright and/or tutured?

Oh, and I can feel the nerves from here, so good luck to you all smile

beanie34 Wed 18-Jan-12 17:31:32

Thank you all. I heard from a friend who said her friend had told her that her DS was offered a place as he was one of the top candidates/scholarship offered etc. I'm starting to wonder who to listen to, playground talk? Should know better. I think I will avoid the drop off and pick up for a while. I too thought they were all sent out at the same time. I'm sorry if I freaked anyone out! Back to sanity and keeping calm until the letters arrive. Thank you for your support smile

beanie34 Wed 18-Jan-12 17:45:12

SWstressed
Hi,
We came away feeling that it went fairly well, we were told "nice things" and I'm pretty sure that I didn't babble on too much although I couldn't tell you what I said after they told me that they liked my DS and he'd done well in the tests. I can't testify to having asked any intelligent questions at all! DS came out very relaxed, he'd been asked 2 questions and a big chat about which rugby club he plays for, he seemed positive, apparently lots of smiling and laughing went on! All that having been said I have no doubt that they were as pleasant to everyone. It's anyones guess really. Trying to stay grounded smile ! We really want W as does DS so fingers crossed and likewise for everyone out there in the same position. How did you feel?

SWStressed Wed 18-Jan-12 17:53:31

Sounds very similar, son asked about football, no challenging questions. Tried to gauge how keen we were on W and I was fairly sycophantic but it is true I think it would really suit him. Did get the sense that he fitted the bill, academic and sporty though so feel hopeful.

frankies69 Wed 18-Jan-12 17:58:42

@TheregoesBod, my son too is at a state primary school and has achieved highly in the W exam. We still waiting to hear from T so this is why we, I mean me!!! are stressed!!! My DS had 6 sessions with a tutor over 12 weeks two hours per month but that was just because his primary school don't offer any assistance to pupils trying for entrance papers. I know of a tutor I can recommend if you are interested nearer the time, private message me if your interested smile

Asterisk Wed 18-Jan-12 21:40:10

@TheregoesBod, I believe T & W take about 60% from state schools. If your DS is achieving at Level 5 in Maths and English on the National Curriculum by the end of Year 5, he probably stands a good chance of getting in. Get hold of the sample papers and the Bond 'How to do 11+' series (maths is particularly good). You'll quickly identify which topics your DS needs help for. You don't necessarily need a tutor. My kids were happy to work through the Bond books with me (in fact my DS consistently outstripped me in the maths - I learned a lot!). We sent him on a 2-day 11+ preparation course to reinforce exam techniques as a precaution. I figure that even if it doesn't necessarily translate into a place, it is good consolidation and groundwork for Year 7 wherever they end up. My DD sat for three indie schools and got offers of scholarships at all of them without any outside tutoring. But doing some preparation is very worthwhile as it really helps to be familiar with the types of reasoning questions - they are not intuitive. Good luck if you do decide to go for it.

Yellowstone Wed 18-Jan-12 21:49:46

This thread is huge. How come? My brother went to Whitgift years ago and I don't recall it being exceptional or exceptionally popular then. Why is it so sought after? Is it purely pressure of demographics or what?

Asterisk Wed 18-Jan-12 21:57:43

Maybe the thread is so long, not because the schools are exceptionally sought after, but more because there are some really chatty people in the south London area? wink

SoupDragon Thu 19-Jan-12 07:13:58

Or because the thread was started last year!

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 08:41:16

I totally agree with asterisk about tutoring, my ds was high 5 achiever but was told he would need to b a 6! Something I have now realised isn't true. However I am pleased we did 6 1hr sessions as it just helped him with the papers, and his neatness!!! I wouldn't say he wouldn't neaten his work for me, but the rows and screams from me and the tears from him was too much, so for us and him it was a better option!

Ps still no news from T, really beginning to loose all hope sad

keepingittogether Thu 19-Jan-12 09:38:24

Our DS did bond books and sample papers over a period of 6 months at home, no tutor as such just a lot of effort. DH covered English and I covered maths with DS.

@Yellowstone W & T are special. The world is a far more competitive place and they add an extra zing in sixth form in order to help them achieve the right vocation or Uni. An older cousin went through W on a sports scholarship, was taken on by a leading academy and is now a professional player - W gave him a lot of attention & support plus extra after hours coaching to get to the top of his game. My DS is not at that level BUT W will find a strength in him somewhere that I am confident of - if he gets in sad smile

Seeline Thu 19-Jan-12 10:54:43

Has anyone actually had an interview at T yet (10+) or are they a bit behind W? Looking for feedback before next weekend grin

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 11:06:23

T exam was later than W so the interviews I would imagine are later smile Good luck with it when it happens smile

Seeline Thu 19-Jan-12 11:37:48

Of course - I forgot! The 10+ was only 2 days later on the Saturday....I shall have to be patient (although I already have no nails left)!

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 11:49:43

@Seeline - I don't think any of us have nails left!! confused

@everyone - I am soooo losing the plot, sending messages to wrong people etc, although you are all great grin

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 13:20:00

Would anyone please let me know if they have had 'thanks but no thanks' letter from T, I am going out of my mind waiting!!! Can't concentrate on anything!!! confused

TheregoesBod Thu 19-Jan-12 14:09:37

frankie and asterisk - thanks so much for the info. Its good to know that it could be a realisable aim for him! If/when we decide to go for it I will pm you re.that tutor if you don't mind frankie.

Oh, and it's not the end of the week yet so don't give up hope!

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 14:16:28

@theregoesBod No by all means that is fine smile

pooziepuzzle Thu 19-Jan-12 14:59:46

Anyone know if the school report is obtained for all applicants or only those who have passed the test and they are considering?

Asterisk Thu 19-Jan-12 15:26:28

The requests for school references seem to have been sent out before they sat the test. My DS's teacher said she received it on the Friday before they sat the test on Tuesday.

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 16:06:45

My DS teacher also received referrence request before they sat so nothing to do with the pass/not pass

pooziepuzzle Thu 19-Jan-12 17:25:42

Do you know if this is the case for W too? I think you are talking about T.
@frankies69- any news from T? good luck.

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 18:08:38

Yes definitely case for W too smile

NOooooo still no newssad, Dh keeps saying there's still one more day but think I gonna have to resign myself to T being a no sad and pin our hopes on ds choice and forget a 2nd option sad sad really would've liked him to have a choice. But suppose we are luckier than some who haven't got either confused

SWStressed Thu 19-Jan-12 18:59:44

Son did sports assesment today at W and it was very tough, all hopes of sports scholarship disappearing...what were other boys' experiences? So depressing

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 19:01:55

@SWStressed...keeping fingers crossed grin

kravings Thu 19-Jan-12 19:10:48

I have been following this thread for days and have finally decided to join it. The stress has got to me so much that now I have started tearing my hair out arrrrrgggghhh...

My DS took the T and W exam, had the interview with W and it all went 'well'

@frankies69 - I am in the same situation as you sad no news at all from T.

@soupy - I envy you - you've had both the interviews!

@all - has any of your DS sat grammar schools?

loosing all hope....

SoupDragon Thu 19-Jan-12 19:15:47

We've not actually had the T interview yet - next Wednesday.

It's a horrendous time of year. Roll on 12th Feb when it is really all over.

SoupDragon Thu 19-Jan-12 19:16:28

DS sat, and passed, Wilsons. Where he is in the pecking order for places we don't know.

kravings Thu 19-Jan-12 19:21:08

same here, mine sat Sutton Grammar and passed, but have to wait until 1st March.

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 19:32:05

@kravings maybe we will both be lucky tomorrow grin trying not to give up hope

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 19:34:03

@Soup good luck for Wednesday envy nothing personal smile

kravings Thu 19-Jan-12 19:35:49

@frankies69...I am not going to leave the house tomorrow and camp next to the phone hmm...hope (fingers crossed) against hope grin

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 19:50:37

@kravings...I gotta go to work but will have this on all day to watch for updates wink ...gonna ring T and demand an answer blush...fingers crossed tightly for us both grin x

Caoimhe Thu 19-Jan-12 20:29:00

Kravings and frankie, sorry to hear you are still waiting. I know it is no consolation but obviously some people have to be the ones contacted on the last day.

Honestly, if your boys got interviews at W then it is highly likely they will get one at T.

Fingers crossed you get called tomorrow!!

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 20:29:51

thanks Caoimhe

kravings Thu 19-Jan-12 20:43:00

thanks Caoimhe.
If I don't get a call by 4pm then I am def calling them up angry

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 20:55:38

ditto kravings grin

Marbleslonggone Thu 19-Jan-12 20:58:12

SWStressed - any tips on the sports assessment? DS has his tomorrow..... am now worried! Were the boys a very high standard? Were the fitness tests really tough? Must get DS to bed!!!

Caoimhe Thu 19-Jan-12 21:03:18

Oh nice flowers!!

Kravings, just spotted that your Ds passed Sutton - very impressive!

Ds flunked all of the grammar schools but still managed to get interviews at W and T. Not that W offered him a place in the end but that's a different story!!!

I can't recall anyone getting an interview at one and not the other at 11+ (although I've known it happen at 13+).

I'll be checking in tomorrow to see if there is any news. Good luck!

kravings Thu 19-Jan-12 21:23:52

Thanks Caoimhe smile I am v happy about Sutton, but again its how high he is on the rankings.
I'll keep you updated.
oh the waiting game....

yr6mum Thu 19-Jan-12 21:33:51

c

frankies69 Thu 19-Jan-12 22:01:56

good luck to all those waiting for the phone to ring tomorrow, going to see if i can sleep for more than a cpl hours ready for the dreaded wait sad

SWStressed Fri 20-Jan-12 06:59:55

Marbleslonggone, yes fitness tests all morning, that was the toughest part then 30 mins playing each of their main sports. My son is a football player and they did that last so he was knackered and thought they didn't really see him at his best. Most boys looked pretty normal to me but my son did say a couple were amazing. They continually mark them on their ipads which he also found offputting. I suppose that is the fairest way but it feels like it would be very hard to excel accross the board. He enjoyed it though but expect a limp rag at 3.45pm! Good luck

frankies69 Fri 20-Jan-12 09:53:32

@kravings and all those waiting for the T phone call....good luck!!!! grin I am unfortunately at work today and so am going to try not to stress until after lunch when I will be picking up the phone angry. I just want to be able to tell my DS what is going on!!! confused

To all those who have got their interview dates, best wishes grin

keepingittogether Fri 20-Jan-12 11:05:43

Interviews yesterday at W, our DS came out all relaxed smiling. The process for us was relaxed, I guess. It is all a blank though as I was too stressed, never really had a feel either way from the Dr, quite cold but polite and formal. Feel even worse now and more stressed sad !!!! DH was convinced it went well and feels confident, but he said that a couple of years ago before he was made redundant - head in the clouds!! I wish one of you had come with me for a reality check.